Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 06, 2024, 11:54:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: adoption  (Read 3014 times)
OUTLAW
« on: March 22, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

is it posible for my gal to adopt her niece, an bring her here
Ray
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to adoption, posted by OUTLAW on Mar 22, 2003

Outlaw,

It is possible, but it can be complicated. You will have to go through miles of red tape, for both U.S. and Philippine legal requirements. I would guess that there are probably about 10 million Fil-Am couples who would like to do what your are thinking of, and very few actually go through with the procedure.

You would probably have to move to the Philippines for at least 2 years, get married, take custody of the child in your home, adopt the child, apply for an immigrant visa for the child, then return to the U.S.

If the child is an orphan, it may me somewhat easier. How old is the child? Where are the child’s parents? How old is your girl friend? Are you married now? Are you planning to marry soon?

Ray

OUTLAW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Possible, BUT..., posted by Ray on Mar 22, 2003

MY GAL, Marivic, 23, WILL BE comming here in may, we will marry in july, child is 8, im near detroit, the child, Mary, lives with her grandmother, Mary's mom has married, 2 years ago, an moved away
Ray
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Possible, BUT...,, posted by OUTLAW on Mar 23, 2003

[This message has been edited by Ray]

Outlaw,

Sorry to hear that mom left the child, but that is not so unusual in the Phils. Lots of kids are “given” to relatives or even childless couples to raise as their own.

If her mom totally abandoned her and nobody knows where she is, and there is no father of record, then “maybe” she could qualify as an orphan, but the criteria are very strict.

Without orphan status, my understanding is that the child will have to live with you overseas for a minimum of 2 years and be legally adopted to satisfy the U.S. immigration rules and “possibly” she will have to live with you for at least 3 years to satisfy Philippine laws on adoption. If the mother of the child is your wife’s sister, then maybe the 3-year requirement can be waived. So, at the least, you move to the Phils, adopt the child legally, live with the child as her legal parents for another 2 years, then petition for a visa for her, which would take another 1 to 1-1/2 years. Supposedly, there are NO exceptions.

If you are really serious about the adoption, you should consult with a knowledgeable attorney in the Philippines and start reading up on the U.S. immigration requirements. Download an I-130 petition with instructions and start reading. Also read the info on the U.S. Embassy Manila’s Web site:

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwh3205.html

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: