Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 05, 2024, 01:19:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now for something completely different....  (Read 3184 times)
LP
« on: December 28, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

....lol...For you guys who have trouble choosing between a mature women and the fair young maiden. It's only for an interesting read, I make no judgmements. Besides, Ryan's stuff is gettin old :-)

The following is taken from the book: Letters of a Nation, A Collection Of Extrodinary American Letters. (Edited by Andrew Carrol)

"There are three faithful friends", wrote Benjiman Franklin, "an old wife, an old dog, and ready money". Franklin elaborates his views on age difference in the following letter to a young aquaintance who had asked his advice on marrying a young girl.

July 25, 1745
My Dear Friend,

I know of no medicine fit to diminish the violent naturual inclinations of which you suffer in this decision, and if I did think I should not communicate it to you. Marriage is the proper remedy. It is the most natural State of Man, and therefore the State in which you are most likely to find solid happiness. Your reasons against entering into it at present, appear to me not well founded.

The circumstantial advantages you have in view by postponing it are not only uncertain, but they are small in comparision with that of the Thing itself, the being of married and settled. It is the Man and Woman united that make the complete human Being. Seperate, she wants his Force of Body and Strength of Reason. He, her Softness, Sensibility, and acute Discernment. Togethor they are more likely to succeed in the world, for a single man has not nearly the value he would have in that State of Union, for He is an incomplete animal without her.

He resembles the odd half of a pair of scissors. If you get a prudent heathly Wife, your industry in your profession, along with her good economy, will be a fortune sufficent. But if you will not take this counsel, and persist in thinking a commerence woth the Sex inevitable, then I repeat my former advice:

That in all your Amours you should prefer old woman to young ones!

You call this a paradox, and demand my Reasons. They are these:

1) Because they have more knowledge of the World, and their Minds are better stor'd with Observations, their Conversation is more improving and more lastingly agreeable.

2) Because when Women cease to be handsome, they study to be good. To maintain their influence over Men, they supply the Diminution of Beauty by an Augumentaion of Utility. They learn to do 1000 services great and small and are the most tender and useful of all Friends when you are sick. Hence, there is hardly such a thing to be found as an old Women who is not a good Woman.

3) Because there is no hazad of Children, which irregularly produc'd may be attended with much Incovenience.

4) Because thro' more Experience they are more prudent and discreet in conducting an Intrigue to prevent Suspicion. The Commerce with them is therefore safer with regard to your reputation.

5) Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest part. The Face first grows lank and wrinkled, then the neck, then the Breast and Arms, the lower parts continuing to last as plump as ever. So that covering all above with a basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the Dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every knack being by Practice capable of improvment.

6) Because the sin is less. The debauching of a Virgin may be her Ruin, and make her Life unhappy.

7) Because the Compunction is less. The having made a young Girl miserable may give you frequent bitter Reflections, none of which can attend the making of an Old Women happy.

Cool Lastly, because they are so grateful!

Thus much for my Paradox. But I still advise you to marry directly.

Your affectionate Friend,

Benjiman Franklin. July, 1745

BubbaGump
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Now for something completely different....., posted by LP on Dec 28, 2002

Older women, don't yell, don't swell and are grateful as hell.  

Not my original saying.

johnE
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Now for something completely different....., posted by LP on Dec 28, 2002

n/t.
KenC
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

LP,
Very interesting.  Does this mean your going to give up the young stuff?  LOL  All cats are grey in the dark you know.  Besides, the old gals will appreciate you so much more.  LOL.  In 1745 "old" was probably 30 you know.  Thanks for the post.
KenC
ps (You do realize that even with all of Ben's objections to younger wives, he still recommended that the guy marry the young woman!)
Del
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

differ through the ages. For instance, I understand that in this time-frame (1745) a "young girl" and an "old woman" are determined as such, so as to be vastly different than the same 'labels' that might be applied today.
All-in-all I think that the advice is still sound if we don't arbitrarily determine an "age factor" or 'label'. Moreover, I submit that today a "mindset' may be more applicable than "old" or "young"!
snowwego
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Perspectives...., posted by Del on Dec 28, 2002

This is only my opinion and not to dicourage any from marrying someone or not. I could have had many gals younger than me by 15 and even 20 years younger. I took a hard look at it and decided things maybe good at first but , more than likely I would rather put my feet up and do nothing and she would be ready for the world in 10 years and I would not like to leave my girl alone for maybe another 20 years when I die. I have friends that are married with a big age difference and they are fine together. I also have had freinds that did not make it ago either. I would prefer the mine set of a woman more my age. But if your heart, tells you to do it and the mine agrees than by all means do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: