Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 04, 2024, 04:17:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From Felicity, the researcher  (Read 4811 times)
mestiza
« on: June 19, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hello to all of you,
I’m glad Pete posted about me because I have always been open and upfront about the project I have been working on and have interviewed close to a hundred people at TLC Tours, Mexican Matchmakers, and via email.  I am married, have a little daughter and love being both a mother and academic.  I began to write about this project because I found that most people made problematic claims about the industry (that it was another aspect of the trafficking in women trade) and the men (that they are all abusive) and women (that they are all victims).  What I have found so far is much more rich and interesting and complicates these claims.  I am in no way advocating to close down the industry, quite the contrary.  I am interested in contextualizing intimacy and marriage in a larger perspective, one that examines the socio-cultural issues that contribute to why people are interested in getting to know and possibly marry someone from another country.  I am trying to do this with as much quantitative and qualitative data as possible.  The quantitative data is much more difficult to obtain as neither agencies nor the BCIS (formerly INS) keep accurate data.  And of course, everyone skews the numbers a bit depending on what their stake in the industry is.  

While everyone comes from a particular perspective that influences the way we see the world, I have tried to incorporate as many voices – agency owners, the men and women involved, and popular culture/newspaper articles.  I am conscious that my background contributes to the way I approach this topic, but the fact that my father is Anglo-American and my mother is Mexican gives me a well-rounded perspective on cross-cultural issues.  

I will be leaving for Cali in two days and thus will have little time to respond until I return.  I look forward to meeting some of you in Cali and of course, if any of you are interested in participating in this project (and no, I do not use anyone’s real names) or have any questions please do email me at: scha0560@umn.edu.

Looking4Wife
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to From Felicity, the researcher, posted by mestiza on Jun 19, 2005

Welcome to the board, and thanks for posting :-)
beenthere
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to From Felicity, the researcher, posted by mestiza on Jun 19, 2005

"I am married, have a little daughter and love being both a mother and academic."

It's very interesting that you didn't mention that you LOVE being a wife to your husband...coincidence??  

But I too will give you the benefit of the doubt for now...

Good luck in Cali...

Hoda
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: From Felicity, the researcher, posted by beenthere on Jun 20, 2005

[This message has been edited by Hoda]

I too, will give her the benefit of a doubt for now....

Mestiza, with all due respect, every, and I mean every piece that I have personally read in regards to the subject matter at hand....

has been a hatchet job...be safe & travel safe!

papi
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

ˇBIENVENIDOS! you write "why people are interested in getting to know and possibly marry someone from another country."

I would encourage you to look at supply/demand in the US vs latin america. The WSJ did a big article on this a few years back which Pablo brought to my attention. Basically, demographically, pardon my French but men in this country are f..d

Feel fee to contact me on your research. My url is www.tropic-romance.com, email info@tropic-romance.com

Felinessa
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: From Felicity, the researcher, posted by papi on Jun 20, 2005

So, basically, there are more men than women?

I noticed, when I was on the personals, that there were a lot more male members, but I thought that had something to do with the internet culture (maybe women hanging on to more traditional ways of meeting people).  It's interesting, because in other areas of the world, the ratio is the opposite.

papi
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: From Felicity, the researcher, posted by Felinessa on Jun 20, 2005

you are correct. that is part of the issue..and our problem here in the US. Supply/demand. i can shoot you an article. my email is info@tropic-romance.com
Felinessa
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: From Felicity, the researche..., posted by papi on Jun 20, 2005

Mail sent.  Thanks a lot.
Ray
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi Felicity, welcome to the forum.

Could you do us a big favor and post the transcripts of the following presentations that I believe you made:

1. "Transnational Masculinity on 'Planet Love': Cyber-Adventures to Find a Latina Bride."

2. "Planet-Love.com: Cyber-brides and Transnational Masculinity between Latin America and the U.S."

Thanks,

Ray
SDSU, '91

Heat
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

I for one will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Bring it on.

If you want to know why we look to marry women from other cultures you need only read Felicity posts.

WS244
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Just read the bible the Koran, and the U.S. Constitution. The Bible says the man is "head of the family", the koran says 2 women equal 1 man, and the Costitution says "all men are created equal" (no mention of women)".

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: