Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 07, 2024, 06:31:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Physical exam required for immigration  (Read 11326 times)
Hamlet
« on: September 08, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

All,

I am corresponding with a Vietnamese woman who has had tuberculosis in the past.  Is this something that is likely to be detected and which would prevent her from getting a visa to move here to the US?

Hamlet

SteveG
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Physical exam required for immigration, posted by Hamlet on Sep 8, 2001

Hamlet,
 My wife was shown to have the TB virus and it didn't stop her VISA.  We were both surprised to see the results of the test because she had no idea of any health problems until the day of the required health exam in Manila just prior to the VISA interview.  As a result of the test being positive, we had to go back to the health clinic 3 more times on 3 consecutive days for maybe an hour each time.

The only problem I can see in this situation is if you don't have time left between the day the TB is detected and the interview to fit in the extra 3 days of tests.  Luckily we came to Manila a few days early and had the time before the VISA interview - but we only had exactly enough time.  It was close and we got lucky!!   I'm not sure if it would be possible to easily move the interview a few days in this case or not and I wouldn't want to tempt fate by trying it.
When you get to that point, go early just in case!

After she came to the US, we had to take the X-Ray and records from the exam in Manila to our local Health department and then go back over a period of time for a few visits.   She had to take some pills for a while too.  It really is no big problem as far as the VISA is concerned.
Good luck!
                              SteveG
Ray
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Physical exam required for immigration, posted by Hamlet on Sep 8, 2001

My guess is that it will likely be detected even if she leaves it off of her medical history. But it should not affect her chances of getting a visa. Even if she has active TB, she will probably require treatment either before or after she arrives in the States, but I never heard of anyone being denied a visa for life just because they had TB at one time.

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: