Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 07, 2024, 10:24:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: learning tagalog  (Read 15536 times)
outwest77
« on: August 19, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

any good links you know of for the above task, i found one
kind of good one, learning a lot every day now, wat a difficult
language that is ............shesssssh.
magandang gabi to you all
FilipinaCupid
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to learning  tagalog, posted by outwest77 on Aug 19, 2001

Hi,

I hesitate to post this because I do not want to sound commercial, but I have many Tagalog and Bisaya words with definitions on pages at:

http://www.everlastinglove.com/tagalog.htm

In the event you cannot find it in your local bookstore, I also offer an introductory Tagalog package that includes cassette tape, phrase book, 2 way dictionary and an audio guide.  You should be able to buy it at Barnes & Noble, or Borders. I have a link to it at B&N in my bookstore at:

http://www.everlastinglove.com/books.htm

Again, check your local bookstore 1st but I post this incase you have any trouble.  My commission is very small so I only post this for your info & convenience.

No need to become expert but learning a few words shows interest and respect and is greatly appreciated I know.  I probably have the words you need on my free pages.  Any I should add?

Blessings,

Jean

outwest77
wow
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: learning  tagalog - here is link to ..., posted by FilipinaCupid on Aug 20, 2001

i just looked at the site of yours, its great
much better and easier to read than the other one i had
found, thanks jean
outwest77
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: learning  tagalog - here is link to ..., posted by FilipinaCupid on Aug 20, 2001

thanks jean, ur always helpful, dear, i already learned
this,
magandang umaga
magandang gabi

oo
hindi

its a hard language for me, i know spanish, but
tagalog seems hard, at least at first glance.

thanks again for all ur help

outwest77
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

and yes, i am sure she knows anything from passable
to excellent english, and yes, she will be the one
who needs to learn english since she will move here,
but,

I like to know, if people are insulting me behind my
back, as in, if i am at someones house, and they are saying, hmm, he sure is an idiot, and im sure glad we got
some sucker to take our daughter away, after she had
that 3 years in jail, lol, just kidding,

in all seriousness, i like to know other languages, and
to presume she should just  "learn engllish" with me taking
no interest in her language and culture, to me is the
ultimate in arrogance.

Jeff S
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to lol i knew you guys would say that, posted by outwest77 on Aug 20, 2001

I'm with Zeb - BUT, I'm pretty conversant in my wife's language and can follow a conversation pretty closely. Her family can kick into idiomatic expressions, cliches, etc, that make it impossible for me to follow, if they want to talk freely and keep me out of it. I applaud your interest in her language, and would encourage you to study it. You can learn an awful lot about a culture by studying only it's language. Many things about the culture become very clear as you study the language.
-- Jeff S.
Zebson
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to lol i knew you guys would say that, posted by outwest77 on Aug 20, 2001

Outwest, I don't mean to sound discouraging..so hang in there. But, sometimes I would be in a situation where my exfiance's family or friends would be talking in Tagalog or Cebueno and just when I started to get the just of what they were saying and pitched in a word or two, sometimes they would switch to what seemed a different dialec..Arrrgh! Also I find that watching facial expressions, body language and when people move close to each other to relate something, along with lips, eyes, eye brows, head movements, all these things reveal there own language of sorts too. It's all quite interesting.

Zeb

The Mog
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

I got a Tagalog tape at Borders book store that I listen too on the way to and from work. After you hear it enough it starts sinking in (subconciously) lol...
I dont know, I think learning any language is hard.
Im picking up a lot of Spanish these days too, a lot of people that work for me are Mexican.
Stephen
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Just let her learn English.  (LOL)

That's my method.

Stephen

Zebson
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to May I make a suggestion?....., posted by Stephen on Aug 20, 2001

I have to agree with you Stephen, there is way to much butchering and not enough mastering of proper english these days. I am no english teacher and I make mistakes in this area too, but it was drummed into me to get it right as much as possible when I was young and it has made a difference...

I do applaud anyone that attempts to speak a second language. But for me, I am happy if I can say; Hello, Goodbye and Thank you, correctly in Tagalog. Besides sometimes your deemed smarter and wiser the less you say when learning a new language, works for me...Smiley

Zeb

Stephen
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Less is better?, posted by Zebson on Aug 20, 2001

You know, some people are better at languages than others are.

I'm not one of the GOOD ones.

I live in Southern California and I remember going to a restuarant to have coffee frequently in the morings.  As I got to know the young girl serving me breakfast I discovered that she had been in the United States less than 2 years.  She spoke flawless English.

And then I went to a Mag-Anak get-together.  There's a lady on that board I met with the name of Shamara.  She speaks English without an accent.  

My theory is that these folks are more "Ear" oriented folks.  They hear much better than I do the way words are being spoken.

Whatever the reason, I'm not good at languages.

By the way, Zebson.....I live in Fullerton.....not that far from you.  Tes and I would like to take you out to dinner some night if you're interested.

Stephen & Tess

Zebson
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Less is better?, posted by Stephen on Aug 20, 2001

Sure, I would enjoy that...when you have time send me your email address.

Zeb

Zebson
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Less is better?, posted by Zebson on Aug 20, 2001

Oh and smiling a lot helps too....Smiley)))

Zeb

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: