Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 08, 2024, 11:30:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lori: about vietnamese language  (Read 12334 times)
dd
« on: August 24, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi Lori, I am flying to Ho Chi Minh City next month and want to learn some vietnamese to surprise my penpal. At least that was the plan  until I bought my first language tape and started to listen to it: It's INCREDIBLY difficult!!! I am stuck with the pronounciation of the vowels (there are 11 vowels in vietnamese language plus 30 or so vowel combination and they all can be pronounced in 6 different ways or tones...)

Just curious: how did you get on with this language?

Lori
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Lori: about vietnamese language, posted by dd on Aug 24, 2001

One thing I did notice: The Vietnamese most always have their tounge in the back of their mouths. That makes it very hard to pronounce their "th's. So instead of three, they'll say tree.
My daughter picked up their language easily. She can count to 20 and say alot of things. BTW-- She vows to live in vietnam when she is older. She says she'll study to be a teacher, so she can teach english. And also she vows only to date and marry an asian man. Oh my...how I have corrupted her!!!
Lori
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Lori: about vietnamese language, posted by dd on Aug 24, 2001

hi dd,
I also bought the learning tapes. Actually I did'nt learn a thing. I only became very frustrated. i usually pick up languages pretty easy. I know a bit of tagalog, laos,spanish. But I have learned these by spending time with the people who actually speak the language. Don't ask me to spell anything, I can only speak it. I have a hard enough time with the english language.
I am lucky that Thai is  an English teacher. Even though we sometimes had a hard time understanding each other. Thank goodness we had a dictionary we could refur to.
I have vowed to learn vietnamese. Thai will teach me when he comes to america. I want to be albe to go back to Vietnam and communicate with his family. Especially his Mother.  She used to just smile at me from across the room. One time she had someone translate to me , that there was so much che wanted to say to me, but she could not.
Sometimes the language barrier was a little too much for me to take. Next time, I hope it won't be.
dd
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Lori: about vietnamese language, posted by Lori on Aug 24, 2001

Thanks for the info - sounds like you gave your daughter some ideas too ;-) Thai must have made quite an impression...
Dave H2O
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

...that ought to impress! ;o)))

Hi dd,

"there are 11 vowels in vietnamese language plus 30 or so vowel combination and they all can be pronounced in 6 different ways or tones..."

and no "r" sound. ;o))

And to think that I thought Tagalog and Bisayan were tough. Those guys on the Latin Board don't know how good they have it! "Escuchan y rrrrrrrrrrepiten" ;o))

"Rrrrrotten" Dave H.

FilipinaCupid
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Just roll your rrrrrr's!..., posted by Dave H2O on Aug 24, 2001

I will leave the Vietnamese to Lori.  Each language has it's own crazy parts.  Only Greek is simple ;-)
Dave H2O
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to It has to be easier than English preposi..., posted by FilipinaCupid on Aug 24, 2001

...the Greek names are hard to spell and pronounce. ;o))

Dave "Hristopoulos" or if you prefer "Hatziantoniou" or "Hadjiyianakies" H.

tomtneal
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to True...but..., posted by Dave H2O on Aug 24, 2001

Why not just Dave the cool dude
Dave H2O
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: True...but..., posted by tomtneal on Aug 24, 2001

I'm a closet nerd.

Dave H.

FilipinaCupid
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Sorry Tom..., posted by Dave H2O on Aug 24, 2001

Ok Dave, sound like a good combo to me.

Do fries come with that.hehehe

I think I know about closet but just what is it that men do in closets, anyway?Huh?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: