Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 28, 2024, 02:48:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Trip to PI  (Read 7102 times)
Rota20
« on: August 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

I'll be making my first ever trip to the Philippines next monday and wanted any advice for my first time going.  I'll be flying into Cebu initially but plan on traveling to Cagayan de Oro and Manila too.  I'll be meeting a pinay I've been talking to for almost 2 years now and be visiting all her family in Cagayan de Oro.  Anything at all I should know about travelling to Philippines for the first time.  I've travelled all over the world and live in Japan now so it won't be my first time outside the US but just curious anything I couldn't know about the PI without having been there in person.  Thanks a lot this board is awesome!
joemc
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to First Trip to  PI, posted by Rota20 on Aug 8, 2004

Hey Rota,
         I just got back from the P.I. a few weeks ago.
         I had a great time over there.
         If you have a credit card, the Phils perfer
         a master-card. And when it comes to a debit card
         the main link for a debit is cirrus link.
         I had problems with my debit card it was only
         plus linked. Just sit back and enjoy.

joemc

Rota20
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: First Trip to  PI, posted by joemc on Aug 8, 2004

Do you think a Visa would be a problem?
joemc
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: First Trip to  PI, posted by Rota20 on Aug 9, 2004

Hi Rota,
      When you want to use a atm machine. A master-card
      is the perfer card.  The master card has the cirrus
      link.  A visa card is not widely accepted.

joemc

Rota20
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: First Trip to  PI, posted by joemc on Aug 9, 2004

Thanks for the warning about ATMs.  How strict is customs coming in and out of the country?  I've heard that they're strict about hard currency.  Know anything about that?
don2222
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: First Trip to  PI, posted by Rota20 on Aug 11, 2004

I believe it is the same as America- $10,000
I would say nothing about how much cash you are carrying,
someone might get a little greedy and want some for themselves.
Bear
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

The first thing I'd do after going throught the airport is to stop and get a few piso's, not many because you can get more at a better price later.  Maybe $200.  Don't take traverlers checks - almost impossible to use.  Debit card machines at most malls.

I'd also make sure you remember to take "pasalubong" or gifts for the family members.  Most important is of course chocolates - I took ten bags and it was not enough.  Then anything marked "Made in America" goes well with any teenagers (hats, t-shirts, etc.).  The younger kids are very easy to please, anything will do for them in the way of a toy, but remember your GF's advise.  Take Mom some perfume or expensive chocolates.  I took Honey's father a Gerber tool - went over real well.  DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE A GIFT FOR YOUR GF! - but I bet you knew that.

When you met her parents for the first time touch their hand to your forehead as a sign of respect.  Expect to take family memebers and chaperones everywhere you go for at least the first 3-4 outtings before you can say "enough".  Don't worry because nothing cost so much that it will be considered an expensive burden.  Most just want to get out and do things as well as get to know you.  I took 14 people to a steak dinner and it cost me $60 before tip.

Do not discuss anything with her father/family members you have not discussed with her first!  I learned this the hard way.

Cagayan de Oro is in a less safe area but I think not too bad.  I used to get a kick out of my wife and her family wanting to "protect me" in Davao!?  You should have seen the look on their face one morning when I just showed up at the door without waiting for them to come and get me.

If you are in the states take some melitonin with you.  Take it on the flight there and the first few times you go to bed to help you get on a normal sleeping pattern.  Then again when you come back home.  Jet lag can be very painful on the after the return trip.

Just in case she isn't "the one", take afew other pinpal phone numbers with you.

Bear, Honey and AJ

Rota20
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: First Trip to  PI, posted by Bear on Aug 8, 2004

How bad is pickpocketing and safety in general?  What kind of tips do you suggest for basically just not drawing attention to myself?  A friend of mine warned me of the pickpocketing especially.  Thanks for all the advice!
Stephen
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: First Trip to  PI, posted by Bear on Aug 8, 2004

BEAR:

The first thing I'd do after going throught the airport is to stop and get a few piso's, not many because you can get more at a better price later. Maybe $200. Don't take traverlers checks - almost impossible to use. Debit card machines at most malls.

STEPHEN:

Agreed.  You need some spending money on you immediately, so exchange US money for Phil money at the airport.

BEAR:

I took 14 people to a steak dinner and it cost me $60 before tip.

STEPHEN:

Absolutely.  I've taken 8-9 folks out for less than $20.  

BEAR:

Just in case she isn't "the one", take afew other pinpal phone numbers with you.

STEPHEN:

YES..........YES......YES.  Don't assume things will work out.  Be prepared.  Take other numbers and addresses with you.

Here's what I did.  I listed all the the names, addresses, phone numbers in and email and sent it to myself.  That way I didn't have to worry about losing it.  If I needed them I would just go to an internet cafe and open up the messages to myself at my email.  (It was in a file titled CLIENTS).

If you email the address to yourself you don't have to worry about her finding these other ladies addresses and asking you questions.

Jeff S
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: First Trip to  PI, posted by Stephen on Aug 8, 2004

Did Tess know about your "clients?"

- Jeff

Stephen
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Aha, Stephen - you had a plan B?, posted by Jeff S on Aug 9, 2004

Yeah.....I told her about it later.

I had been told by other American women to do this because they said, "She will look through your luggage if she has a chance.

By the way, Tess and I are going to Colorado for a vacation August 18th to 29th.  We're driving.  It ought to be a good time.  (Our first stop in for the night in Las Vegas....yes, it was Tess' idea!)

Let's have a meal before We get out of town.

Jeff S
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Aha, Stephen - you had a plan B?, posted by Stephen on Aug 9, 2004

You bet Stephen. Let's get together!
- Jeff
Stephen
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Aha, Stephen - you had a plan B?, posted by Stephen on Aug 9, 2004

Yeah.....I had plan B.

And C.  And D.  And E.  Etc.

There were about 15 names I had filed away.

Stephen

Stephen
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

I've been to CDO several times.  It's a very nice town and I think you'll find it very friendly to you.

Of course, you always keep your eyes open these days for trouble, but I think you'll be just fine.  You'll have a wonderful time.

Relax and enjoy yourself.

Stephen

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: