Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 05, 2024, 12:21:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question For the Married Guys Here  (Read 4864 times)
GregF
« on: February 28, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Hey Guy's
 My Vietnamese Faincee is very worried about telling her parents that we are doing the paperwork for her to come here because in Vietnam it is very important that the families meet befor a couple get married. Have any of you had to deal with this with your wives? If yes how did the two of you deal with it and how did the parents take the news?
Thanks For you help
Greg F
Stephen
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A Question For the Married Guys Here, posted by GregF on Feb 28, 2004

Well....since the families are 8,000 miles apart it ain't gonna happen.

If you two want to get married, then just proceed forward.

Stephen

madmal
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A Question For the Married Guys Here, posted by GregF on Feb 28, 2004

Greg,
My situation was similar to yours, in that Doan and I decided to get married before her family had met me.
They did however know of my 'interest' for about 9 months before we made this decision and it was on my third trip to Viet Nam (2nd visit to her).
One difference is that both of my parents died when I was in my teens. Talking to Doan just now she said that it wasn't an issue because of this. If they had been alive it would have been different.
Another difference is that we married in Viet Nam.
I never considered depriving Doan of a wedding with her family. A traditional Buddhist Wedding fitted in well with me too.
Yes, families are important in the marriage process. Traditionally it is more a marriage of two familes, than two individuals. This of course is changing rapidly, along with many facets of Vietnamese culture.
 Similarly, for me, I have married into another culture.
Many of my friends in Australia are Vietnamese now. I must understand the culture to understand my wife, her thought processes and her reactions to various things.

Doan's family were very worried when we told them that we were getting married. They worried about Doan coming to Australia. Mostly they worried about her being alone without family to look after her. They had met me and thought I seemed to be OK. But that was no guarantee of anything.
They stopped worrying after Doan had been in Australia for a few months. Once she had some friends (Vietnamese) they knew she had some understanding support. They also saw (heard) over time that Doan was happy here and that her husband was looking after her.

Don't under estimate the concerns of your fiance's family.
You are taking her away to a far off land. A place that invariably (through govt propaganda) they have heard many bad things about. We know all the 'gold digger' stories. While they know all the 'abusive husband' stories.

Have you considered marrying in VN ?
It's very cheap & will keep her family happy. (probably make her happy too) It's also a lot of fun. (though the paper chase and jumping through hoops sucks)

Mal

GregF
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: A Question For the Married Guys Here, posted by madmal on Feb 28, 2004

Hello Mal,
 We thaught about getting married in Vietnam but it will be at leat another year befor I could return. Wich means atlest two more years for use to be appart and neather of us can stand that. Our plan now is for her to come her and for us to marry here. Then we will return to vietnam as soon as posible and have a Traditional Vietnamese wedding with both of our families together.
Greg F
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: