Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 04, 2024, 04:19:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Naturalization  (Read 4142 times)
Ray
« on: March 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Just wanted to post an update.

My wife has been here nearly three years now and married life couldn’t be better. She filed for U.S. citizenship yesterday. We filed the petition to remove conditions on residence (Form I-751) a year ago this week and still haven’t heard anything from Immigration. The published timeline for CSC says they are processing petitions filed one year earlier. I believe that some of the other service centers are even further behind on the I-751’s.

For those contemplating Naturalization, you will need to be a resident for 3 years (if married to a U.S. citizen) and you can apply up to 3 months prior to your third anniversary. The “Resident Since” date on the green card is where you start counting the 3 years from. You will need to file Form N-400 Application for Naturalization. The filing fee is $310 which includes the $50 fingerprinting fee. I read where all USCIS fees will be increasing an average of $55 very soon (shit!). Sorry, just testing Patrick’s new banned word list :-). You should also request a copy of  “A Guide to Naturalization” (Form M-476) from the USCIS because it contains important filing information. You can download it, but it’s 66 pages.

It looks as if the requirements are even easier than they were 30 years ago when I went through this with the ex-wife. Now they even publish a list of 100 questions and answers in different languages that will include all questions on the oral exam. I have heard of some folks who memorize the list as their only preparation for the citizenship interview. I strongly recommend that you take a citizenship class to prepare for naturalization! My wife is taking a citizenship class at the local Adult School in the evenings and she really enjoys it. They teach you basic U.S. Government and History including the constitution, etc. There is no cost for the classes here in California, so it’s a real bargain. And I feel that becoming a citizen without a good understanding of the principles on which our country was founded is only cheating yourself. It was rather embarrassing because I forgot the words to our National Anthem the other day and my Filipina wife had to remind me. Another sign of old age I guess (LOL).

Tip: Make sure that you make LOTS of copies of your income tax returns. They want copies of the last 3 years’ JOINT tax returns if you file based on marriage to a U.S. citizen. I made 4 copies of all my tax returns and I’ve already run out of some of them. We sent one with the I-751 last year also.

I’m not sure if the I-751 backlog will cause a delay in processing the application for citizenship, but I guess we’ll find out soon. Hopefully, this will be our last application to USCIS!

Ray

Jimbo
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Naturalization, posted by Ray on Mar 9, 2004

Ok, I just downloaded the three forms.  We'll send it out before the end of the month.  Now I'll look for a class in the area.

Sally's been here 4 years 10 months.

Jim

Humabdos
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Three months after I took my first wife down to do the
I-751 paper work she was gone. A year later I lost my Vacuum cleaner in a bitter divorce.
Looking back on things now it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me as I would have never met my true love and soul mate Sallie. :-)
Hum
Stephen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Naturalization or walking papers?, posted by Humabdos on Mar 11, 2004

HUM:

Looking back on things now it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me

STEPHEN:

As I look back over my life, many of the things that I thought were "BAD" turned out to be blessings in disguise.  I don't know if I'm smart enough about life to really judge what is "good" and what is "bad" for me.

And there were a lot of women I thought I couldn't live without, but now looking back, I realize I couldn't have lived with them!

Ray
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Naturalization or walking papers?, posted by Humabdos on Mar 11, 2004

That’s O.K., I have 6 vacuum cleaners so I’m covered. I’ll let her have the Dustbuster (LOL).

I knew a guy here in San Diego a few years back who married a Korean gal when he was stationed over there in the Army. The very day after she was sworn in as an American citizen, she walked out and filed for divorce. HOWEVER, he had been screwing around with another girl on the side so who knows what his wife’s motivation was. A couple of years later he married a girl from Taiwan and moved back there to live with a job teaching English.

Ray

Jeff S
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

.. that vacuum cleaner. Sad to see it go, huh.

Reminds me of that old joke, "My wife told me to choose between her and football. It was sad to see her go."

- Jeff

Febtember
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Thank you so much Ray for the information.I will tell my hubby about this.I be three years here this coming july so I can apply for citizenship this year.Yepeeeeeeeeee!About the national anthem(the star spangle banner)I just memorize the anthem recently.Thanks to my magic kareoke microphone.I got 97 score on it everytime I sing the national anthem.I love singing the U.S national anthem all the time.Wish we have citizenship class in my area.raquel
greg
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

:O)
Peter Lee
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Thanks Ray I copied it for furture referance.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: