Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 30, 2024, 11:51:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: marriage question  (Read 5179 times)
stefang
« on: January 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Question about marriage. What are the rules for marrying a foreigner? Can my Brazilian fiance and myself marry in Portugal or do we need to go to Brazil. She has a decent job and doesn't want to wait in Brazil while the paper work processes from our speedy government(wink wink).

Later we would have a nice ceremony for hew family in Brazil to see. Thanks for any help.

stefang
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to marriage question, posted by stefang on Jan 11, 2004

Thank you for the info I will look more into our regulations and my fiance can check the Portuguese laws since she is near the consulate in Lisbon.
Bob S
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Like Ray says, it's according to the law in Portugal.  The U.S. embassy should have info on marrying a foreigner and how to process the application for a visa.  First you may need to get your birth certificate and ID all translated into Portugese.  Then you will need to get the marriage documents, licenses, and wot-not all translated back into English.  That's sort of along the lines of what I had to do in Japan.
Ray
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

You would have to check the law in Portugal, but I would be surprised if it was not allowed.

One caution: If you are considering a K-3 visa after marriage, the law requires that the K-3 visa be issued in the country where you were married, so she would NOT have the option to have the visa processed in Brazil!

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: