Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 07, 2024, 01:33:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summary, part 2  (Read 14474 times)
shadow
« on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

I have always been a very compassionate, trusting, generous person. I get taken all the time by people I thought were my friends. But only one time per person. After the trust is destroyed, I will seldom have anything to do with that person. I am generally very level headed and patient, but there sometimes comes a point where I cross a line, and there is never going back. I also can be very stubborn, once I set my mind to something. Yes, I have my faults, too. But who doesn't?
For the most part, if someone needs something I have, and they ask me honestly for it, if I think they need it worse than I, i will give it to them. I have given away more running, driving vehicles to people in need than most people have owned! I'm talking DOZENS of cars I have given away. When someone takes something dishonestly from me or tries to, it burns me bad. I built and ran an auto wrecking yard for several years, and it would amaze you the things people will steal, things that are absolutely worthless, somebody will steal. For instance, in front of this wrecking yard I had a big box full of used headlights. They were free. A big sign on this box said "Free headlights, please only two per party" I did this for several reasons, one being the people that came in wanting to buy used headlights were generally in dire need. People with kids to support, junker cars, and no money. One night, I got a wrecker call, it was pooring down rain, and I went and jumped in the tow truck, started it, and turned on the lights. Guess what. No headlights. Somebody had stolen the headlights off the tow truck. It was parked less than ten feet from this box! It would have been so much easier to take lights out of the box if they needed them, but they wanted mine. Forbidden fruit?
The people had gotten to me so bad in a few years that I started setting booby traps. I had this large 57mm artillery shell that my son had found. I set it high up on a shelf with a large sign that read "Do not touch", I ran a fishing line from this shell around to a can of green paint. It lasted 3 days, then I had a mad customer covered in green paint.
The point I'm trying to make, I guess, is people will be people no matter where they are from. You get good ones and bad ones no matter what race, color, creed, or location. I have always told myself that I am not a prejudiced person, that I take everyone as individuals, and try to treat everyone as they treat me and/or others. On parts of this trip, however, I found myself not abiding by my own rule, and it has given me cause to reexamine my own beliefs.
I have always found it hard to feel sorry for someone who wouldn't help themselves. I'll help anybody that shows an effort, or anyone that is unable to help themself. The situation of the poor in the Philippines is very hard for me, especially the children. The $200+ I gave away to the children there is basically nothing to me, but to them it may have made the difference between having a full belly that day or just another hungry day. There was one child I found there that I wanted so much to help, but by the time I had found a way to do so I could no longer find him. It has bothered me ever since. This child always laid on the pedestrian bridge south of fuente osmena, I would guess his age at about 11. Always on my walkabouts I would drop the customary P5 in his cup as I passed. I never once saw him move or acknowledge my passing. On my last days in cebu I walked through there and noticed on his foot a gash that went clear across the top, about 1/2" wide, and clear to the bone. It was very red and puffy, and oozing. It is badly infected. I haven't a doubt in the world that without attention this will be another one legged child.  There is not a clean spot on this kid, and I wanted to scoop him up and get his wound cleaned up and a full belly. By this time, however, I am broke. I told my friend Rick about him, and together we agreed to go and do something the next day, which was to be my last day there. (Rick I met there, and we spent several days together wandering around, usually followed by half dozen children) Anyway, we went looking for him, but he was gone. Rick promised to keep looking for him, but I haven't heard anything.
On the other hand, as I find it hard to help someone that won't help themself, I find it hard to respect a people that won't respect their country. Here I'm talking about the way many filipinos throw their garbage in the street, in the creeks and rivers. etc. They just couldn't care less. There country is already in serious trouble pollution wise, and they don't care. With the way their population is growing, and their lack of pollution laws or enforcement, can they not see the outcome? What kind of country are they leaving for their children? Also the way the rich treat the poor. Most of the rich there did not earn the money themselves, they were lucky enough to be born into it. Do you see THEM giving P5 to the children in the streets? NO. What's worse, they look at me like I'm scum because I DO.

Tim
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Summary, part 2, posted by shadow on Mar 29, 2001

I saw similar sights in China. Not so much in Hong Kong, Beijing, or Shanghai, but out in the smaller towns like Hangzhou, Suzhou, and especially in the little villages and hamlets we passed by as we rode on the trains. Lots of trash heaps and refuse leaning right against homes, strewn down riverbanks, etc.

I don't feel the people deserve less respect because of this, however. Poverty just breeds apathy about environmental concerns. I realized these people do not enjoy the luxury of having a big garbage truck come down their lane twice a week to haul away the trash placed at the end of their driveway. These people are too concerned with daily existence to put much effort into garbage control. I'm not saying they shouldn't think about it, but I understand why it's not a big priority for them.

It is sobering to see, and definitely leaves a strong imprint on one's memory.

Anyway, these are just my observations and opinions. Your mileage may vary.

Regards, Tim

Carrisse
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Summary, part 2, posted by shadow on Mar 29, 2001

Have you seen the way the rich countries treat the third world?  Yes, give us your toxic wastes and your expired drugs.  Take advantage of the cheap labor we offer and sell us the pallets where your supplies come from so we can build our house.  Give me a freakin' break!

The notion that these rich countries help the third world by creating more jobs is one big print and media propaganda.  Sure, we'll bust our b u t t s  so you can sell that nice Katie Lee Gifford line of yours Walmart!

The point is, you have no right to complain about the things happening in the PI because it is a third world country. This is what I know, there is an environment plan being developed and there is a need to educate the people.  Bear in mind that again you cannot expect things to go the American way.

I say let the PI deal with its problems the best way it can. You just treat our people nicely and take advantage of the hospitality we offer.

Dave H
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to What do you expect?, posted by Carrisse on Mar 29, 2001

Carrisse,

Please tell me not Kathie Lee... ;o)

Funny thing...on Monday and Thursday nights, I pull my trash can 30 feet to the road. The next morning, when I go outside, a miracle occurs. It is completely empty. Kind of like Santa Claus. I haven't been able to stay up late enough to see what happens to the garbage. ;o))

On the other hand...in my fiancee's barangay, you must drag the trash a quarter mile through the mud and gravel, to reach the road. Sometimes a garbage truck will even come to pick it up. I saw a lot of people throwing garbage out of the windows. Pigs and chickens ate much of it. I was told that what was left, eventually washed away when the flood waters came or was covered in a layer of mud. I could not doubt it, as I saw the photos and a 3 foot water level stain inside the house on the wall. Since my fiancee is 4'11" (on a tall day) and can't swim, she had to stay inside where the water was only up to her neck and keep her 3 year old niece above water.

Larry,

Sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of your vacation. Maybe you will get lucky someday and find a woman that is more concerned about where the next meal is coming from than getting a green card or new cellphone. A woman that has waited years for true love, rather than take the easy way out. I did! It was a MIRACLE that she came into my miserable life. She never asks me for any help. Which makes me very sad. I find out about problems that occurred after the fact, from my future Kano brother-in-law. She always says, "It was nothing" or "I did not want to add to your burden." Sometimes they don't tell you what you want to hear..."Baby I need your help."

Trust me...there are still some GREAT Filipinas still around, as others here can attest to. Where is the old Larry that we know and love. It is true that if you seek, you shall find. If you look for failure in others, it is easy to find. No one is perfect, except God. Hang in there. Be patient. God will prove you wrong every time. ;o)

Love and mercy,

Dave H.

Jeff S
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to What do you expect?, posted by Carrisse on Mar 29, 2001

Is what you're saying that you don't think moving manufacturing to third world countries to take advantage of the lower cost labor in not a win - win situation for both countries??? Hundreds of thousands of Mexicans, both those on the assembly line, but also local white collar people (engineers, accountants, human resources people. production planners, etc. etc) would disagreee with you vehemently. I'm sure plenty of Thais, Indians, Indonesians, Malays, Dominican Republicans, etc, etc, now working for pharmaceutical, semiconductor, and other industries would join right in with the Mexicans, too.

Now, I agree with you in that you can't apply American standards to the difficult situations many people in other countries face on a daily basis. I also agree that people everywhere should be respected for doing what they can to get by the best way they're able, but your implication that foreign investment in the manufacturing sector supplying jobs is somehow detrimental to the foreign country (providing the companies apply the environmental and workplace safeguards they would in the US) is just not the case.

-- Jeff S.

kevin
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Wait a minute Carisse..., posted by Jeff S on Mar 29, 2001

My neighbors were blue-collar, but lost their jobs as a result of NAFTA.  Yet Mexicans are trying all kinds of ways to sneak into the United States for the better paying jobs that are disappearing.  Ross Perot said in 1996, "People that don't make anything, don't buy anything".  In that debate, I remember Ross Perot mentioning that the dream of one Mexican family was to put a toilet in their house.

- Kevin

Carrisse
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Wait a minute Carisse..., posted by Jeff S on Mar 29, 2001

Quote: 'Applying the environmental and workplace safeguards as they would in the US' Unquote--that would be nice isn't it?  But they don't have to because it is a third world country.

Do we get paid by US standards?  Forget US standards--maybe a little bit above our country's industry standards--then that would really mean that these rich countries care for us.  Not!  I worked at a Nike distributorship back in the PI and guess how much the sweat shops are making for one $45 retail priced Nike t-shirt--about 5 cents.  Industry standards?  No, way below.

The capitalists are always patting their backs telling us how much they're helping us by giving us jobs.  The fact is they are taking advantage of the cheap labor.

I stand by what I said no matter how cruel.  This is a symbiotic relationship but only one of us is getting rich.

kevin
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Keywords, posted by Carrisse on Mar 29, 2001

Don't even say "one of us is getting rich".  If you're referring to labor in America versus labor in the Philippines, it's the corporate elite in America who are getting rich.  Bear in mind that the wage gap between the corporate executive and the assembly-line worker has been grossly exacerbated since around 1980.

- Kevin

Carrisse
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

But please tell the capitalists to not take all the credits. We worked for them and we worked hard for their dollars.

Peace!

Jeff S
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Okay, you guys win, posted by Carrisse on Mar 29, 2001

You're right, most foreign workers do work hard for their money. It was great hearing your opinions, Carrisse. Keep posting. We value your viewpoint.
-- Jeff S.
Dave H
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Carrisse,

It took organized labor to change things here and now it is abusive in it's own right. US are standards are still much better than those applied to third world countries. It seems that anything goes until they get caught...as in Kathie Lee...Walmart...Nike...et all.

Dave H.

Dave H
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Keywords, posted by Dave H on Mar 29, 2001

Jeff,

Take it easy on me. ;o) I have never been in a third world factory. My views are tainted by the media. I am sure that there are many good companies out there, that go unreported.

Dave H.

Jeff S
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Keywords, posted by Dave H on Mar 29, 2001

I think a lot of the negative press about overseas factories comes directly from American Unions. I managed a twin plant operation (Southern California and Tijuana) for several years, several years ago. I had 60 in Orange County and abouy 95 in TJ. The Mexican operation was cleaner, nicer, and had better employee benefits than the US one. Of course the salaries were 1/4th of the US but then again, so is the cost of living, and the workday 9 1/2 hours instead of 8. Sweat shop? Hardly, every person who worked there liked it, appreciated the opportunity and were openly friendly to the boss (me) I loved handing out the cash bonuses and preferred the social events in Mexico than the ones in OC. In the many, many maquiladoras I was in in Mexico, I never saw, brutal, sweat shop conditions.

Now I run a company who supplies products to a number of overseas plants. Every time I visit these facilities I'm impressed by the excellent conditions when compared to local industry. Most of the offshore facilities are far better than their American counterparts and the employees, both blue collar and white, live a higher standard of living than others in their home towns employed by local industry. The towns where these industries are clustered are frequently far better off than their neighboring areas.

I'm not naieve, I am aware that there are some industries out there who exploit labor, more often than not, a situation created by the local bosses, not the US counterparts, like a factory I visited outside of Shanghai with a "dormitory" with wooden bunk beeds stacked four high, ten to a room barely bigger than a walk-in closet and hour long waits for the rest rooms. (This was a Chinese owned factory - not American) I also know there are cases of environmental abuse going on, but to lump all US companies as simply exploiting desparate third world countries is like lumping all Filipinas as liars & cheats - it simply isn't so.

I get so annoyed with the liberal press and movie industry painting all businessmen as evil, conniving, greedy exploiters willing to lie, cheat, steal, kill, and poison the planet for a few dollars. Some of my best friends are businessmen, and I proudly admit I'm in that group, too. Of the few I know, would any one of them intentionally dump toxic waste because it's cheaper than disposing of it properly? No. Would any one of them knowingly do anything that might get one of their employees hurt? Absoluteley not. Are we interested in making money - well, yes, aren't you, too?

- Jeff S

Jimbo
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No flames here.., posted by Jeff S on Mar 29, 2001

They bash corporations as evil and greedy, yet the truth is that businesses should be expected to act in their own self interest, just as an individual would.  It is Adam Smith's concept of "economic man" in action.  When an individual seeks to improve his situation he usually, and unintentionally, benefits society as a whole.  Businesses have the same effect.  Certainly there are times when the actions of an individual or business will confict with the interests of society - that's when government and the law are needed.

From this perspective, "Greed is good" as Michael Douglas said in the movie "Wall Street", but people reject the idea because the word has such a negative conotation.

Jim

Dave H
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The mantra of the liberal press, posted by Jimbo on Mar 29, 2001

Jim,

Actually that is often very true. The biggest raises and most benefits I ever got, were when we had local labor union presidents that were only out to help themselves. We all got to go along for the ride.

Dave H.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: