Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 29, 2024, 01:08:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reality, and a question for the Filipinos...  (Read 15980 times)
don2222
« on: December 14, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi All,
 I've met dozens of Filipinos in the Philippines that insist that there is no crime in America,  that you can work at McDonalds and live like the millionaires they see on tv,  no drugs, no poor people,  no traffic, etc.
They are shocked to hear that I feel much safer in the Phils than I would in LA, DC , etc.  For example, I can go to Manila, and never feel the fear that I would feel in many large cities in America.
They honestly believe that everything they see in the movies and on television is true, and that all Americans live like Multi-millioniares.   They also think that along with the higher wages in America, there
is also lower prices.  They really do not understand that prices can be 10 or even 20 times higher in America than here in the Philippines.
What adds to the problem is that many of the Filipinos living in America will return to the Philippines and greatly exxagerate their living conditions in America.  The American Filipinos are only interested in showing
off, and do not tell the truth about how working at McDonalds in America is a job that many people laugh at, and that the salary is not even enough to live on.  They also do not understand that most American businesses get by on 1/4 the employees that you see in Filipino businesses, and the American employees must work harder for that higher salary.  
Of course, I understand that poor people in America typically live better than poor people in the Philippines, but most Filipinos have a true misunderstanding about reality in America.
My question for the Filipinos here is what did you think about America while living in the Philippines, and what do you think about America now that you live there ?

Thanks,

Don

Carr
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Reality, and a question for the Filipino..., posted by don2222 on Dec 14, 2003

America is about opportunity and less discrimination. In the PI, if you came from a good college/university and affluent upbringing you are assured of employment.  Here, a high school grad can earn more than double the minimum wage especially if he is skilled.

America is about less corruption and where police really 'Protect and Serve'. Well at least most of them do. In the PI, policemen and hoodlums are in the same league. Well at least most of them do.

The Philippines is all about family and clans. Grandparents live with their children and are assured of care. Here in the US, you'd see them in nursing homes.

The Philippines is all about community. You can always tell what your neighbor had for dinner last night and what the couple two doors down are arguing about.  Here in the US, a neighbor could be dead for weeks and you'd never know until you see lots of police cars and medics on your driveway.

As for Balikbayan showoffs, its all about image.  Pinoys think that when you are in the US you are rich and rolling in the money.  Of course, the balikbayans have to endure and live up to this image.  Otherwise you'd be branded a cheapskate.

I guess you cannot have the best of both worlds.

Jeff S
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Baywatch and Beverly Hills 90210 VS. Rea..., posted by Carr on Dec 16, 2003

I notice a similar thing in many countries - more sense of community, more caring for friends & neighbors, more extended family involvement. Unfortunately, along with that comes more corruption, more poverty, more people overtly taking advantage of others.

Of course I realize, that because of circumstances, you probably didn't have full control over the situation, but just curious, any regrets about moving to the land of the big PX?

- Jeff

Carr
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Baywatch and Beverly Hills 90210 VS...., posted by Jeff S on Dec 16, 2003

But like I said there are things that I like here and things that I like back home.  Thats why I go back every now and then.  You are right, corruption was borne out of our familial society.  I wish the Filipinos are more patriotic than mastering the practice of simony.

What I noticed when I was there and FPJ (Fernando Poe Jr, Kuya Dabe's favorite Pinoy action star) announced his presidential aspirations, people are more vocal in their disgust than when Estrada did the same thing.  Which is a good thing, the Filipinos as voters are waking up.

I forgot to mention my perceptions of the US before I came here.  I thought that everyone here are Baywatch babes and hunks. I was not prepared for all the obesity that I saw. Here at work, I can count on my fingers the people who are not obese.  Where are all the thin people they show on TV?

Dave H
FPJ
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No regrets...., posted by Carr on Dec 16, 2003

Hi C,

Actually FPJ is now my #2 favorite Pinoy action star. Philip Salvador took over the #1 spot when I saw him sliding down a hill firing two fully automatic Ingram Mac-10's...killing a large group of the bad guys, without missing one. Hell, I can't hit the broad side of a barn more than twice with an automatic Mac-10. ;o)))

Dave H.

Jeff S
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No regrets...., posted by Carr on Dec 16, 2003

... those shows are all shot in Southern California. I just walked a business visitor from Michigan through South Coast Plaza. His neck was swiveling like Linda Blair's. As we walked out, he said, "Geez Toto, we're sure not in Kansas anymore." We both agreed the new "g-string peeking out the top of the pants" look is hot.

He's a big, burley, black ex-football player now engineer, and almost crapped when I took him into Macy's and told one of the make-up girls he was looking for a Michael Jackson look.

Big stories in the all the business pages today about the 7E7, due out 2008. Should be plenty of job security up there in Rain Festival country.

- Jeff

Carr
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to There's a reason...., posted by Jeff S on Dec 16, 2003

But after the tanker fiasco, who knows what the bigwigs are up to. You won't believe all the fingerpointing happening internally.  I'm just lucky to have a job.

Nice chatting with you, Jeff.

Jeff S
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to If we get it..., posted by Carr on Dec 16, 2003

I have a feeling things will work out just fine.

- Jeff

don2222
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Baywatch and Beverly Hills 90210 VS. Rea..., posted by Carr on Dec 16, 2003

b
littleflower
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Reality, and a question for the Filipino..., posted by don2222 on Dec 14, 2003

Hi Don, i just want to answer your questions since you are asking Filipinos here.
When i was in the Philippines i never thought that Americans are multi millionaire, i have clear view that crime is everywhere, that there is always poor citizens even in a  rich country. but i still thought that in the US everybody who has a job can afford substantial foods, that in the Philippines only those who have a good job could buy. Now that I'm here, i think it's true, even if you earn a minimum wage you can still afford to have good foods in your refrigerator, have a bedroom that is not too crowded. One thing that interested me when i was there was that, everytime i watched american movies i saw those houses without any fence. For me, it only mean one thing... that you can sleep at night peacefully. Peace of mind that my beloved country would not give me.(contrary to what Febtember posted; not sure about the crime rate where she lives)I know that crimes are everywhere but at least here
you can still trust policemen. Of course in PI not all policemen are corrupt but GRAFT & CORRUPTION is too much already. I love my country but i chose to leave because only those who are rich will become richer and poor become poorer. I want my daughter to have a secure future that every children deserved; rich or poor. Here, if you work hard and save, you will have a better future, that's what i thought.(correct me if i'm wrong) I just want to be true to myself,  you can live a 'good life' here if only you work hard. There, working really really hard is not enough to experience it. Can you blame me if that is the way i see it? Of course all those things has its own price.
Homesickness,  being a second class citizen, plus your college education there, is not recognize here unless you're UP or Ateneo graduates. Don't get me wrong, i miss PI, miss her very much specially during christmas time because every christmas i prepared 50 packs of chocolates for children who can not afford to buy one. I still hope that corruption in the Philippines will become less, because Phils. is a very rich country and i still plans of retiring there.
don2222
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Reality, and a question for the Fili..., posted by littleflower on Dec 15, 2003

Hi Little flower.
 Thanks for your reply. Why do you feel like a second class citizen in America ? Please explain ?

Also, you are probably right about the college educations.
IMHO , the Filipinos in the Philippines studying computer science, commerce, hotel and restaurant management,etc, are probably throwing away their money if they plan to go abroad.  The only course being studied in the Philippines that is usefull is probably only nursing.
For example, I talk to com-sci college students in the Philippines everyday that do not know how to use the internet, or have never even used a computer.
The sad fact is that many of the schools in the Philippines really do not care about education, their only business is to make money.
Also, Filipinos graduate from high school at age 16, so a second year college student in the Phils has only been in school as long as a 4th year (senior) high school student in America.

Don

Febtember
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Don,
I never realize that america have  higher crime when I'm still living in Philippines.But the reality  is  that it's much scary here.There's many children and young women been abducted everyday and never be found again.How many people die in accident because of drunkard driver and men and  women using their cellphone while driving or highway shooting.Very scary you don't know what will happen to you within next seconds here.At least in philippines most crime happen in big city but in here its everywhere.I thought that when your already in America you already feel so much secure and free from danger but you scared for your life here.You don't know if a bulglar and a robber come into your house and start shooting on you.I don't understand at first why most american keep guns or riffle in thier house.No wonder why.The first thing my hubby teach me after we got married is how to use the riffle so if in case a bulgar came or somebody came and have bad intentions  while his gone working at least I can defend myself.First thing he teach is don't panic,hide and if they start breaking the door it means they have bad intention.Dont start shooting unless they never do anything because I could end up in jail.The most important thing he say to me is that let them know you have gun because criminals afraid of gun.Now I know.But if someone came in our house take the t.v or whatever I just let them take all what they want as long as they never harm me.Everytime I go out in our house and get mail I have to look on the sorrounding first hoping nobody hide in the bushes or our shade and then once I get the mail I run as fast as I could back to the house lock the door as fast as I can.I always think that what if that minutes a criminal pass by and kill me so I always do this kind of trick everyday.Remember I live in countryside far from nieghbor so no matter how hard I shout nobody will hear me.
About american live like Multi millioniare yah most filipino think everybody is millioniare here.I never even realize when I'm still in philippines that there are lot's of homeless people here.Lot's of poor people here too but by philippine standard they will rich.
greg
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Reality, and a question for the Fili..., posted by Febtember on Dec 15, 2003

Get a Big family watch dog, keep it outside in a dog house. I wouldn't allow dogs and cats indoor around Matthew.
Febtember
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Good Post Raquel :O), posted by greg on Dec 15, 2003

Hey Greg,
How's little Gregory.You know the dog on my wedding picture Ginger she been cayote food last summer.We still keep looking another nice dog that won't bother our chicken,guineas,and ducks especially my bunnys.I miss Ginger so bad.Matthew is on the front page of our local newspaper with santa.Santa scares him so much.He will celebrate his first year birthday soon.Give my hug and kiss to your handsome son.Raquel
Jeff S
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Reality, and a question for the Fili..., posted by Febtember on Dec 15, 2003

While I do realize crime exists, in most of the country you really don't have to be paranoid that there's a bad guy hiding behind every bush. If you look at the statistics, violent crime is really quite rare unless you live in certain neighborhoods. The chances that a bad guy will kick in your door with intent to do you or your family harm is so slight, it deserves barely a passing thought - and running back from the mailbox to lock your door won't reduce your chances. The scary part is the randomity of it all - people picking out their targets at random. Relax - you're just as safe in rural Illinois as you are anywhere in the world.

- Jeff

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: