Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 30, 2024, 05:27:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visa information  (Read 11414 times)
Rota20
« on: November 09, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Got a question about the different types of visas and where and when to get married to a Filipina.  What is the best way about going about this?  What if I want to marry in the Philippines but don't want to go through the lengthy wait of 12-24 months for an immigrant visa?  Is it possible to marry in the Philippines and then still apply for the fiance visa?  I'm sure a lot of you have extensive knowledge and experience on this.
Jeff S
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Visa information, posted by Rota20 on Nov 9, 2003

From what I read on these boards, plan on a 9 months to a year to get a visa, either K-1 (Fiance) or K-3 (Spousal.) Either are much faster than an immigrant visa. The difference between the two "K" visas is that a K-1 is a one time entry, 90 day visa. You then have 90 days to marry her and do an "Adjustment Of Status" (AOS) to convert her status to your spouse - or else send her home. In either case, once she's here on a K-3 or after you've adjusted her status on a K-1, she's a permanent resident and will get issued a "green" (Resident Alien) card (actually pink.) People call this a conditional permanent resident, but it's exactly the same as a permenent resident except the card expires 24 months after the AOS. That takes about a year to arrive. When your 24 months is up, you'll get a note from Immigration asking you to come in for an interview. You both have to go to the office where they interview you both to make sure your marriage isn't fraudulent. They may interview one or both of you together or separately. If all is cool (and I've never heard of anyone who are really married failing to get the conditional status removed) they'll issue your wife another Resident Alien card with a 10 year expiration date.

Though it was years ago, I was married overseas and registered my marriage at the US embassy there. Then my wife (and her daughter) came to the US with tourist visa and we adjusted their status once she was here. The 2 year green cards came in the mail a few months later. (A stamp in their passports served as permanent resident status until the cards arrived.) Then after 2 years, we went in for the interview. She was iterviewed alone for about 3 minutes. The interviewer asked if he could look in her purse and the first thing he pulled out was a recipt for a couple suits from Eagleson's Big and Tall store, not a real popular hang-out for Japanese. The interviewer had met me in the lobby so that pretty much ended the interview on the spot. He was convinced we were a couple.

- Jeff

HaroldC
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

There isn't a whole lot of difference in elapsed time no matter how you do it and there are no secret short cuts.

A bunch of timelines are here:

http://cebu4luv.com/Asawatimeline.htm

It seems that the ones who get in trouble doing this are the ones who are in too much of a hurry- I almost did.

Unfortunately, about a month ago you called the one who could help you most with this an idiot.

Rota20
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Slow down, young fella ..., posted by HaroldC on Nov 11, 2003

Never did say I was in a panic hurry or anything.  Just trying to find out what is the quickest and easiest way of going about this.  Makes sense to me.  Anyway,  thanks for the link about the timelines.  

"Unfortunately, about a month ago you called the one who could help you most with this an idiot."  Oh come on, don't take it so personal.  It's not even you! lol

Bear
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

The new K-3 Visa is exactly that, but still takes a long time.  Since 9/11 the changes that were made by the LIFE Act seem to have been ignored and all that really occurred is we now pay more.

Bear and Honey

Rota20
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Visa information, posted by Bear on Nov 9, 2003

How long does the K-3 take compared with the IR-1?  I know the wait for the IR-1 is ridiculously long(6 months to 2 years!!).  Money isn't really as big a deal as the time I would have to wait.  Did you use the K-3 option?  How long did it take and how well does that work out compared to the IR-1?  Thanks for the help.
Bear
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Visa information, posted by Rota20 on Nov 9, 2003

Yes my wife and I used the K-3.  We one of the 1st.  it Still took 10 days short of 1 year.

Bear and Honey

Peter Lee
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Visa information, posted by Bear on Nov 10, 2003

Well Bear and Honey I didn't know you used the K3 visa.   Do you have any feedback on how long it takes now to process the K3.   My receipt came back from Homeland Security and it said 2 to 6 months for approval.   I was hoping it would be faster than that.  Some have had approval in 45 days.  Things change so much from month to month.   All I can do is make sure all the papers are in order and wait.  

Notice of Action
Letter head  THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
THE US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE  INS
Receipt Received I-130  
Mailed out date       Sep 22 2003
Receive Notice date Sep 29 2003
Mailed to me date   Oct 10 2003
18 DAYS TOTAL WAITING FOR THE RECEIPT
Immigration & Naturalization Service
Texas Service Center
PO Box 851489 –Dept A
Mesquite Tx 75185 – 1488
Customer Service Tel [800] 375 5283

The above application has been received,  It usually takes 990 to 999 days from the date of this receipt for us to process this type of case.  [33.3 Months or 2.8 years]
We will send you a written notice as soon as we make a decision on this case.  
Any questions call 1 800 375 5283 or www.bcis.gov

Notice of Action
Letter head  THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
THE US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE  INS
Receipt Number:  MSC-04-017-xxxxx
Case Type:  I-129F- Petition for Fiance[e]Spouse
Received Date: Oct 17, 2003
Applicant:  PETER LEE  
Noticed Date: October 20, 2003
Page 1 of 1
ASC code:
Receipt notice $110

Mailed out date        Oct 15th  2003
Receive Notice date Oct 17th 2003
Mailed to me date   Oct 28th 2003
13 DAYS TOTAL WAITING FOR THE RECEIPT
Immigration & Naturalization Service

U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. BOX 7218
427 S. Lasalle 3rd Floor
CHICAGO IL. 60680-7218
Customer Service Telephone: 1-800-375-5283

The above application has been received,  It usually takes 60  to 180 days from the date of this receipt to process this type of case.  [2 Months or 6 Months ]
Please notify us immediately if any of the above information is incorrect.
We will send you a written notice as soon as we make a decision on this application.  

Any questions call 1 800 375 5283 or www.bcis.gov

HaroldC
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Visa information, posted by Peter Lee on Nov 10, 2003

http://cebu4luv.com/Asawatimeline.htm
Rota20
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Visa information, posted by Bear on Nov 10, 2003

I guess that isn't too bad.  Better than 24 months.  After you had the visa issued, what was the process of getting permanent resident status?  How long and what did you have to do?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: