Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 03, 2024, 11:24:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Iraqis meet in California.  (Read 7021 times)
Stephen
« on: August 27, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Two Iraqis meet in California.

One starts to greet the other in Arabic, their native tongue.

The other Iraqi waves him away contemptuously and says,
"We're in America now. Speak Spanish."

HaroldC
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Two Iraqis meet in California., posted by Stephen on Aug 27, 2003

First, I don't think Stephen's little joke rises to the level of blatant racism, and is perhaps worth a chuckle. I  caution against exaggeration in general since it polarizes and obscures common ground. [I have discovered that exaggerating to a Filipina to make a point is not necessarily productive. Smiley]

On the other hand, I agree this is not the appropriate venue for such remarks, although there is a history of same, and agree that criticism therefore is warranted.

Illegal immigration and lack of cultural assimilation are extremely important and emotional political issues, especially in some areas. [Not so much in Bangor, although we do have our logger skirmishes and Canucks poaching moose. Smiley] Look at Europe to see where this crap leads. I again warn against polarization around such issues since that plays into the hands of those whose ambitions lead them to encourage non-assimilation and polarization. Let's be tolerant, but not useful idiots. Please.

Perhaps we can turn this to a productive discussion of how cultural tensions and the difficulties of assimilation have affected or will affect those we love. Imelda has expressed to me concern about 'racial prejudice'.

I surrender the soap box.

(And, heck, I might as well bring up homophobia, too. I was trying to tell Imelda that I am not the type of guy who likes to go out at night, get drunk, gamble and go to strip clubs, so I explained "I'd rather hang out with the girls." She said, very seriously, "Are you certain of your gender?".

And another- She said she knew how to tango!:
What! Who have you been tangoing with?
A dance instructor at work, but don't worry- he's gay.
Well, what would you do if you caught me tangoing with a woman and I said don't worry, she's gay?
Well, as long as you didn't, you know, ENJOY it. And she would be a lesbian, dear.)

Dave H
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Peace, brothers., posted by HaroldC on Aug 28, 2003

Hi Harold,

It was a logical question from Imelda. Filipino sexuality may be a bit confusing for the average American. But, I will post what little I know about it, with the hope that I may save someone's ass (literally) someday. LOL

It seems to me to be based on what I call the "Spanish Bugaron Principle." Gays in the Philippines hang out with other gays and women, like "girlfriends." For sex, they prefer "straight" guys. These "straights" are like the Hispanic bugarons and do not consider themselves gay or even bisexual...weird but true. They may perform the dirty deed for money or just because their is nothing else better around. The "straight" is the pitcher and the gay is the catcher. Basically, if you are on top, you're not gay (just like in prison). Shocked))) The gay is also the one who performs oral sex on the "straight."

Dave H.

HaroldC
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to El Bugaron, posted by Dave H on Aug 28, 2003

That means if she's on top and/or I, you know- then I AM gay! Oh, dear, I MUST have a new wardrobe.
Dave H
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to But wait! ..., posted by HaroldC on Aug 30, 2003

N/T
Ray
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Dave,

I agree with Harold. That was WAY more than we needed to know!

ROTFLMAOCUML!

Ray

Dave H
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: El Bugaron, posted by Ray on Aug 29, 2003

Hey Ray,

It could have been worse...I had to get it past Patrick's "Cuss-O-Meter." PIMMFP!

Dave H.

HaroldC
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

and I lived in San Francisco for 17 years.
Dave H
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to More than I needed to know Smiley ..., posted by HaroldC on Aug 29, 2003

Hi Harold,

A bisexual is a gay male who is married to a straight female or a lesbian who is married to a straight male. That's about all I know... LOL

NOX1967
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Two Iraqis meet in California., posted by Stephen on Aug 27, 2003

Interesting to see such blatantly racist comments on board supporting inter-racial relationships.
NOX1967
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Two Iraqis meet in California., posted by NOX1967 on Aug 27, 2003

It's just an observation. I am guilty of it at times myself. It just seems that at different times and different places it seems okay to disrespect one group or another.

As I said, it's "interesting". Right now, it seems okay in most of our society to say just about anything about a Middle Eastern or Arabic people, and it is still more acceptable to say things about Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, or Cubans, than it is to say things about Blacks. But of course we wouldn't say things about Asians on this forum.

I'm not mad or complaining, just noticing what's going on, and also asking myself, "Have I done this too?" "Yes"

HaroldC
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Two Iraqis meet in California., posted by NOX1967 on Aug 28, 2003

It's also acceptable in our culture to say, or imply, anything about white men. Interesting.
Dave H
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Two Iraqis meet in California., posted by NOX1967 on Aug 28, 2003

[This message has been edited by Dave H]

Hi NOX,

I understand your view. I just don't think that you would understand mine, since you don't live where I do. I will spare you the details of being disrespected on a daily basis by many immigrants who refuse to learn or follow the laws, drain the welfare system, are rude, and demand that everyone speak Spanish. Many of my Cuban and Puerto Rican (US citizens) family and friends have moved to get away from these fellow immigrants and have very harsh words for them. Hard to find very much bad to say about Asian immigrants, since they are usually very industrious and hard working and don't contribute much to the expansion of the welfare state.

Dave H.

Stephen
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Two Iraqis meet in California., posted by NOX1967 on Aug 27, 2003

Nox:

I did not say....."two irigis meet in California to get married".

What is racist about the joke?  You're too politically correct.  Loosen up and have some fun.

Do you think it's racist to resent people slippin accross our national border and taking up our tax dollar to support?  Do yo think it's racist to think that folks who live in America should speak the language?

Frankly, it's frustrating to go to a fast food place (Burger King, McDonalds, Carls) and you can't understand what the person taking your order is saying because she doesn't speak English.

Stephen

Dave H
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Dave H]

Hi NOX,

...are you refering to...Spanish or Iraqi? I didn't know either was a race. If you lived in South Florida or parts of California, you would probably be annoyed that many Hispanic immigrants (many of whom are illegal alliens) refuse to learn English and are trying to push Spanish upon us, even through legislation. Where I live, all government documents must also be translated and printed in Spanish and Creole. Maybe I should demand Tagalog, German, Gaelic as well. At least Arnold isn't pushing for German. Phuck Cruz Bustamante and Moviemiento Estudiantil Chicano de AZTLAN (MEChA)! It should be deportation time for illegals of any race!

P.S. I speak Spanish and my sons are half Hispanic. If I moved to another country, I would learn the friggin' language.

Dave H.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: