Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 28, 2024, 09:59:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need info RE: Ninoy Aquino International  (Read 4830 times)
HaroldC
« on: August 17, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Salutations, experienced travelers.

Looks like I'll be arriving MNL on Northwest (Terminal 1, right?) about 23:00 on a Sunday night and can't get a PAL flight to CDO (Terminal 2?) until 5:00 next morning. It'll feel like 11AM to me, so no point in thinking about sleep or leaving the airport.

(Am looking at $950 RT Bangor/Manila plus $135 RT Manila/Cagayan de Oro.)

So, I have a bunch of first-timer questions:

I plan to carry on all my stuff on the international flight to avoid any baggage delays or SNAFUs- tips about being sure that happens appreciated. ('Briefcase' plus 28 inches x 15 inches x 9 inches, Maximum weight of seven (7) kilograms, yes?)

Best to prepay for domestic PAL flight and have them mail me the tickets or whatever?

Grab some pesos (MNL site says 'banks' open when flights come in.)?

Best way to get from T1 to T2 at that hour, or wait until 4AM?

Making a phone call to Iligan?

Where to sit under AC for 6 hours?

Facilities for washing up- have already warned them that after 30 hours I may be half dead and probably will smell like a goat (elicited much merriment). Then a 100km bus or car ride CDO to Iligan.

Or anything else useful I haven't mentioned?

Thanks a million.

Nathan
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Need info RE: Ninoy Aquino International, posted by HaroldC on Aug 17, 2003

I have flown that very route on NWA with that 5 am connection...not one of my favorites, but at any rate, unless they have changes the policy, which I do not think they have,
the new terminal closes at 12 or 1 am and you along with a throng of Filipinos will be sitting outside till you are ready to head for your connecting flight. You might check in advance, not too long ago, many of PAL domestic flights also left from the new terminal- they were the only airline that had that arrangement as I recall.
HaroldC
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ninoy Aquino International- locked out....., posted by Nathan on Aug 18, 2003

What are your favorite flights, then?Smiley

Now I am confused about terminals, though. I will go back and check, but thought Terminal 1 (new, old?) was for international carriers except PAL, and Terminal 2 was all PAL, international and domestic. The PAL schedule for CDO flights definitely says Terminal 2, although it makes sense that Terminal 2 is newer than Terminal 1. (But it's the Philippines, so I'm not taking that for granted.)

DanAndChed
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Need info RE: Ninoy Aquino International, posted by HaroldC on Aug 17, 2003

The exchange was open right there, at the airport.  Check the rates, it may be cheaper in the airport your leaving from.  Mares, won't exchange money at the airport, it's to expensive.  We always have a little filipino money left from our last trip to get us settled on our next.

Baggage handling is fine.  Although, your gonna see about 200 boxes come off first before your bags do.  When I went for my first visit with Mares, I got to Cebu and couldn't find my bag.  I went to complain and noticed that it was just going round and round on the baggage thing.  I guess I was a little excited.

Good advice, take a role of toilet paper.

On my first trip I arrived at 11PM and crashed in a hotel for the 6 hours between flights.  It really helped me settle into the time change.

Good Luck,

Dan and Mares

HaroldC
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Need info RE: Ninoy Aquino Internati..., posted by DanAndChed on Aug 18, 2003

got some cash, got a cab, got to a hotel, checked in, crashed, (showered!) and got a cab back to the airport in time to check in for a flight in six hours later!? Man, you don't fool around.

I am very interested in that scenario, because- besides really needing a shower, and, oh yeah- food, before sallying onward (not sure sleeping would work)- I'm thinking now I might go to a hotel near the embassy, do the "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" thing 8-9AM and go back and catch a later flight, the last available being 1:30PM. (I'm realizing the ten-day-wait for a marriage license could be hard to work in later, so might as well be prepared.)

(A hotel recommendation very near the embassy would be appreciated from anyone- and consider I would only be there for seven hours, or less.)

And the exchange WAS open at 11PM for an incoming international flight- hmmmm, thats 50% so far.

And, yes, toilet paper. Smiley

DanAndChed
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Thanks, but do you mean waited for your ..., posted by HaroldC on Aug 19, 2003

On the flight over I had a 7 year old sitting next to me.   That plus the excitement afforded me no sleep on the plane.  After taking a shower, I fell asleep when my head hit the pillow.  Believe me it made the time change more barable. I stayed at the Radison.  It's American prices.  I'm sure others can give you good recomendations at Filipino prices.  Your first time there, people(including the taxi), will try to charge you american prices.  My wife now handles all the money when we go to the Philippines.  Cost wise it's much more reasonable.

So your doing the Marriage there instead of the fiancee visa?  When I went the average time for processing a fiancee visa was half the time to get a spouse.  Of course it took some convincing with the family to go this route.  They wanted me to first marry her there.

BTW, I did wait for my bags.  After being up for almost 30 hours, it was very surreal.

Best of luck,

Dan and Ched

HaroldC
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Thanks, but do you mean waited for y..., posted by DanAndChed on Aug 19, 2003

Even before I encountered Imelda, I never considered anything but marriage THERE for a lot of reasons- furthermore, in her case, it would mean abandoning a good job on a gamble when she is the 'breadwinner', as she accurately puts it, for her immediate family. She told me about THAT within seconds of our first encounter and is convinced it's the reason other potential suitors, Kano and Pinoy, have quickly gone elsewhere. (Plus, she's intimidatingly bright and not, shall we say, malleable. Smiley )I know, I know, this is a major, never-ending complication. Sigh. Believe me, we are dealing with it- a real bombshell fell just last night, in fact. We're finding out under stress what we are made of- guess who holds the record for equanimity.

Nobody said it would be easy, things worth having are worth working for, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, over and over- my mantra. And I'm kicking a nicotine habit at the same time. Sheesh.

Surreal IS the word.

I have not yet investigated thoroughly, but I suspect the K1 and 'new' K3 visas take about the same amount of time.

Good luck to you two too. Smiley

JJ27
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I just got back from the Phils on Friday. When I arrived
there at around 10:30pm, I couldn't get pesos in the
airport.. so, I had to find a money exchange in the city.
I'm not sure if it is always closed in the evening, or if
this was just a rare occurence or a problem at the airport.

The dimensions for your luggage is provided on the FAQ
at the Northwest Airlines site. The domestic airport is
just a short taxi from international one. We were fortunate
enough to purchase our tickets right before
the flight on Cebu Airlines for Tacloban City, and the
same on our way back into Manila. Good luck with your
trip. If your planning to stay a long time in the airport,
you should bring a roll of toilet paper or something with
you, because if nature calls, you won't find any there.

HaroldC
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Need info RE: Ninoy Aquino Internati..., posted by JJ27 on Aug 18, 2003

I look forward to hearing about it.

The NAIA site said banks were open when flights come in, but I suspected that was optimistic.

And, yeah, I saw the FAQ- one really small piece allowed- oh, well.

And I won't leave out the toilet paper! Smiley

capt david
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

It's about a 5-15 min. taxi ride around the airport to the domestic terminal, which I don't believe is ac'ed. There were "name tagged" helpers to see that you get an official taxi. It was simple and inexpensive to buy tickets there, but I did mid-afternoon. As a sidenote, I would buy my return ticket at that time. I didn't and had to leave Cebu at 6am for a 5pm flight because everything else was booked! BTW VISA is accepted there. Also, it's just an idea, but you might ask the helper or taxi driver where you could take an inexpensive shower. Trust me, you'll feel alot better. One last tip; There is a "half dounut" that fits around your neck to keep it upright when you sleep on the plane. Get one. good luck and God bless, capt david
HaroldC
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Need info RE: Ninoy Aquino Internati..., posted by capt david on Aug 17, 2003

Hmmm. No AC in T2. I wonder if they'll let me hang in arrival area. I did see something about a 'Day Room' for $15, probably an ancient price, with 'hotel' amenities.

And, yeah, I will try to get my domestic tickets ahead of time.

The pillow is a great tip.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: