Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 06, 2024, 05:25:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update  (Read 4291 times)
NateD
« on: July 09, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Hey All,

Well, I've been lurking around for a while now (quite a while, if you want to get really specific about it).  But since I haven't posted in a while, I thought I'd let everyone know exactly what's been going on in my life.

First off, after five long years, I finally graduated from Ohio University with my bachelor's.  Next up is a Master's from Kent in Library Science.

My desire to find a Filipina has recently intensified due to my having recently dated a young American lady.  I've grown up enough to not trash someone; needless to say she helped remind me that there are a few different reasons for why I'm looking for a Filipina.  (that and I've always had this dream of marrying a foreigner.  But thanks to years of consideration and thought, I've decided a Filipina would be the best choice for me.)

After I finish graduate school, I'm considering enlisting in the Armed Forces, specifically the Army (probably to do something with computers--I'm not really a fighter).  It would be an excellent way, I think, to pay off my college loans, and I'm willing to bet a lot that it would probably also be a very good way to get myself over to the Philippines sooner.

Aside from this, not much else is going on with me.

Take care,
NateD

equitis
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Update, posted by NateD on Jul 9, 2003

Hello Nate,
Very wise career move.Maybe if you requested a posting closer  to the phils,like okinawa or korea.Diego grcia I think is navy.Good luck.
Dave H
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi Nate,

I'm happy to hear that you graduated! As Ray said, joining the armed forces may delay your trip to the Philippines. The US military bases have been closed there. My nephew has been stuck on an island off of Greece for the past two years. One of my cousins was stuck in Ethiopia and another stranded on "The Rock" (Shemya, Aleutian Islands) for quite some time. Good Luck!

Dave H.

NateD
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Congratulations!, posted by Dave H on Jul 10, 2003

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the input; I'm weighing everything very carefully at this point in time, and I'm also looking (as a guy at my church suggested) at all the different branches to get the better deal.  But the recruiter told me that I would have a very big say in where I was posted.  Besides that, I'll be coming out of school with a total of at least $20,000 in loans, and the Army would pay that off in 4 years time, I know (compared to 10 or 20 years paying it off myself Sad  So that's a pretty big factor.  With 30 days paid vacation each year in the Army, I'm sure I could find some way to get to the PI sooner rather than later.

Thanks again,
NateD

Ray
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Congratulations!, posted by NateD on Jul 11, 2003

Hey Nate,

Take it from a guy who spent 20 years in the service. Don't believe everything those recruiters tell you. Better yet, don't believe ANYTHING that they tell you! Insist on seeing everything in writing.

I'm not sure about now, but in the Past the Army would guarantee new recruits a choice of duty stations: Germany, South Korea, or potluck. Now it’s probably down to South Korea, Afghanistan, or Iraq (LOL).

Ray

Ray
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi Nate,

Congratulations on your graduation!

That's good that you are thinking of joining the Army, but I don't think that will get you to the Philippines any sooner. I think you should buy a plane ticket and just go. You need a vacation anyway after all that studying, right?

Good luck,

Ray

NateD
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Update, posted by Ray on Jul 10, 2003

Hey Ray,

Actually it may considering I apparently have a lot of say in where I'd be stationed.

Nate

Ray
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Update, posted by NateD on Jul 10, 2003

Nate,

The only U.S. troops that I know of that are permanently stationed in the Philippines are the Marine guards at the U.S. embassy. You're about 12 years too late for a P.I. duty station, and even back then it was Navy, Marines, and Air Farce - no Army.

Ray

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: