Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 05, 2024, 07:12:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US Embassy beefs up security;  (Read 2388 times)
outwest77
« on: May 25, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

US Embassy beefs up security;  
visa applicants face long wait

By Jowie F. Corpuz, Correspondent

THE United States Embassy in Manila has imposed tighter security to protect its personnel from possible terrorist attacks against American interests.

Over the past week, more security personnel were deployed to guard the embassy premises. Even relatives of American citizens can no longer walk in and apply for non-immigrant visas without prior appointments.

As part of the strict security measures, American consular officials removed their “walk-in” system for those applying for non-immigrant visas. Instead, all applicants must now get appointments before they can transact business with the embassy.

Consul General David Donahue said these measures are meant to protect the embassy from any form of terrorist attacks, particularly after the May 12 suicide bombings in Riyadh, which targeted an American compound, causing several deaths and injuries.

The US State Department immediately shut down its embassy in Riyadh owing to threats not only to American diplomats but also to American residents in the Saudi capital.

“Security has become a major concern and new procedures have been put into effect to help ensure the safety of embassy personnel as well as our visa applicants,” Donahue said.

He said the walk-in system was no longer viable, because the number of applicants for non-immigrant visa had increased dramatically.

“The walk-in system is no longer a practical way to process visa applications. K visa applicants will now be given appointments for their visa interviews,” Donahue said.

K visa applicants are fiancé(e)s or spouses and children of American citizens. Once the embassy receives the approved K petitions from the National Visa Center in the US, it will schedule the applicants for interview and notify them of their medical and interview appointments.

The K visa speeds up the travel of beneficiaries who could be subject to a long period of separation from petitioners during the petitioning process.

It is a non-immigrant visa that allows the beneficiaries to get into the US and stay there until they can apply for lawful permanent residence status instead of having to wait in the Philippines as previously required by the US Immigration law.

Alvin1
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to US Embassy beefs up security;  , posted by outwest77 on May 25, 2003

I went to the US embassy in Manila On May 16 with a large back pack on 4 different visits during the same day.  It was on my back.  They checked my wife's purse and other packages each time but never checked the back pack.  It  was amazing to me.  The backpack was large enough to blow up the embassy.

Alvin

Michael B
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to US Embassy beefs up security;  , posted by outwest77 on May 25, 2003

The K visa speeds up the travel of beneficiaries who could be subject to a long period of separation from petitioners during the petitioning process.

K visa speeds up travel? News to me. Sure, that's what it's SUPPOSSED to do.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: