Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 06, 2024, 10:30:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japan Journal # 19  (Read 3218 times)
Windmill Boy
« on: March 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Monday &  Tuesday Feb 10  &  11,  2003 ...

Finally  and  unfortunately  my last full day  in  Japan.

I  awoke  and I  went  downstairs  to the  Spa  and I  used  the  Onsen, Jacuzzi, and Pool  before
getting  ready  to  leave the  hotel  to  walk  down  to Mejiro  Station  to meet  Bob  and  his
girlfriend  Akiko, who  was  visiting  him  from southern Japan  at 10:30 AM.    Inside  the  train
station  was  a man selling  mechanical toys  made  out  of  wood.  I  bought  a  centipede  thats
legs  move  in motion  as  it goes  forward.  After  I  bought  it  and  when I  showed  Bob  and
Akiko  this  stall,  he unveiled  tome  other contraptions  that  were  even more mechanically  
interesting --  In  hindsight it  would  have  been nice to  get  these  also.  Then we  took  the
Train  together  to Asakusa - the older  section of  Tokyo.  I  gave Bob  his  3  mountain Dews
and  2  Dr. Peppers  that I  acquired  for  him in my  travels  but  then I  felt  guilty  that I  was
burdening  him with extra  weight.  We  found  a  locker  and  we  did the  smart  thing  of
placing  all of  our unneeded things  in there  and locking it down.

We  saw  some  kind  o f soap opera  being  filmed  there  in  front of the entrance. And  then  we
entered  a  street  lined  with  tourist  shops, this  sure  worked  for  me!  Yes  maybe some  of the
souvenirs  were over priced  but  after all   was  a  tourist  and It  was  my  last  day in Japan.  I
picked  up a couple  of items  that  I  had  my  eyes  on from earlier  in the  trip but   was  unsure
how  my  money  or space  in my  luggage  would hold  out.  I  was  doing  quite  well  my
budget  actually.  I figured I would  dump  out  my  socks  and  underwear  if  that  is  what it
took  to  bring  home  an  unusual  souvenir.  Fortunately  things  did  not  turn  out  to  be  that
drastic ha ha ha.  We  visited  40  stalls  or  so   and  we  were  getting  weary  so it  was  time
for  a jump start.  We  found  a  vending  machine which gave us both hot  coffees  and  cold
sodas  out  of the same  machine.  

We  continued  our  browsing  and we came  upon  a  stall  selling  Yukatas (light  bathrobes for
men).  Bob  took  the  plunge  first  and fitted  and  bought  one.  Then the  shopkeeper  used  his
upselling techniques  and  said how  about  you?    I  thought  about  it  and since I  had not
gotten any  clothing  souvenirs, I  said why  not.  It  was  about  $30 and I  rationalized  that I
couldn’t  even  buy a  light  bathrobe  like  this  at  Macy’s or  JC Penney  for  this  price.   If
anything  it  would  be  great for  a  Halloween  costume  in  the  future.  And  who  hasn’t
fantasized  about  being the  Ginsu  samurai  warrior  like  John Belushi  from  the famous
Saturday Night  Live  Skit   ha ha ha.   Though  Bob  is  a  6  footer  also  I  needed  to  upgrade
and  pay  a little  extra to a  3 LLL  to fit  me.   We  must  have  been  a  sight  and  Akiko  was
probably  amused  seeing  2  Grande  Gringos  getting  fitted  for  Yukatas  in the  middle  of  the
street  ha ha ha.

We  investigated  a  few more  shops  and  then we  came  to  the  Giant Temple at  the other  
end of  the  street.  It was definitely time  to  rest  and  reflect.  on the  inside  gate  to  the temple  
complex  were  a  couple  of  the  worlds  largest  shoes.  They  were 2    20  foot  thatched  
sandals.  Since I  am  a  size  13  and   Bob  is  around  an  11  Akiko  took a  picture  of  us
clowning  around  lifting  our  shoes  in front  of  1 of  the  giant sandals.   The  caption  should
read -- Look we  finally  found shoes  that  fit  here  in Japan  ha ha ha.  We  took in the
atmosphere  and ornate decor of the  Temple  and  Akiko  answered  a  couple  questions  about
Buddhist  practices.

We  were  getting  hungry  and  as  we  left  the  temple  grounds  we  came upon  some  food
stands.  Bob  sampled  some  rice  balls  and  I noticed  a  stand selling  sausages  (Vienna  style).
Then a  little further  I saw  a  stand  selling  what looked like Corn Dogs.   Akiko and  Bob  read
the Japanese sign that said “American Dog”.   So I  bought  one.  I  bit  it from the  top  and  it
was  funny tasting  I   looked  inside  and  thought  this  is  a  weird  looking  hot dog  it  was
pinkish  but closer to  white.   Fortunately  I  got  mostly  breading  but  it  turned  out  to  be a
fish  sausage --- WHAT !!!!  Whale in a  stick  possibly  but  doubtful.  Bob came  to the rescue
and  finished  it.  Fortunately, though  my tongue  tickled  a  little  bit  it  seemed  nothing  else
happened to me.  We  all  wanted some  real food  though  and  eventually  we  were  able  to
find  a  Raemen restaurant  and I  was able  to  try  a  safe Raemen  dish  with beef.

We  wandered  around  for a  while  longer  but eventually we  found the  locker  and  we left the
Asakusa  area.   I  mentioned  that we  could  go  back to the Shinjuku  area  and  go in the
Tokyo Metropolitan  Government tower  observation  for  free (where  I  was  with Ai
previously). We  took  the  network of  subways   to criss  cross  Tokyo  and    we  got  to  the
Tower  at  dusk.  The  three  of  us  took  in  the  sights  of  the  city  and  we  sat  down to talk
for  a while.  I used  the  restroom  before  we  left  and  I  was  puzzled  to see  that  though  this
tower  was maybe only  20  years  old  they  had  both  the  traditional  Japanese  squatter  pots
right  next  to the  Western  toilets.

It  was  drizzling  out  when we  exited  the  building  so  we  weaved out way  through  the  city  
labyrinth  and took the subway a  stop or  2  until  we  came  to  a  style  of  restaurant  that  Bob
was  familiar  with  though the restaurant type escapes  me.  We waited  a few  minutes  but  then
they  sat  us at  a  booth  and  brought  us  a  bucket  of  hot coals   that  fit  into  the  table with  a
screen / grill  on  top.    It  was  kind  of like  do  it  yourself  Mongolian  BBQ.  We  ordered
different  types  of  meat  and  grilled  them  on top  of the  coals and  dunked  them into  a
sweet  soy sauce.  We  also ordered  a  couple of  tomato  salads  and  introduced  Akiko  to
cooking  the  tomatoes  and  eating them this  way  shish kabob  style  sort  of.    For  dessert  we
got  a new  bucket of  coals  and they  gave  us  some  cooked  sweet potatoes  and
marshmallows  to grill  along  with  a scoop  of  ice  cream..  I  liked  this  eating  experience
and  I enjoyed  that it was  very  communal  and  participatory  like  my  experience  with
Sukiyaki  and  Shabu Shabu.

Then  it  was  getting  late  and  time  to head  ‘em  out  buckaroos.  I  had  a very nice  day
seeing  Bob  again  and  it  was nice  to  meet  Akiko  too  she is  a  nice  girl.   They  seem to
make a  good  couple  together  and  I  wish  them  luck.  I left them at  Mejiro  station  and  I
walked  20 minutes  back to  the  hotel.  Did  a  final  deep  reorganization of things  and I
crashed.  I  woke  up  early  so  could  treat  myself  one  more  time  to using  the  Spa Faculties.
I  even  scarfed  some  of the  free pastries and  fruit  this  time  ha ha ha.   I  checked  out  and  I
succeed  in keeping my bill at  $0 .00 or yen.   I  took  the Taxi  to Mejiro station  one  last time.
unfortunately the  guy  selling  the  wooden  mechanical  contraptions  was  gone  this  day , oh
well...   I  took the  train to   Tokyo  station and I  experienced the  mad  zoo  one more time.
fortunately this  was  not rush hour  or it  would have  been  worse.

I had made reservations with  the  concierges  help  at the  hotel  to  take the  Narita  Express  to
the airport.  I  sat across  from  a  cute maybe  30 year old  woman  and  her mother who was
dodling  over the  granddaughter that  was with them.  So  not only was the exterior scenery
fairly  nice  but I didn’t mind it inside the  train either.  On  the other  side  of  the  aisle  was
loud  but  happy  group  of  4  business  men  drinking from real small  mini  bar sized   bottles
of  booze.  they  were  laughing  and  joking and having a  good ole  time.

Arrived  at  Narita  checked through  customs and security.  It was thorough but more relaxed
than in America. Apparently my  pastry  equipment  (textured  pipes with other  tools  inside)
didn’t  look like a  pipe bomb  so that was no  problem.  but  I did have  to  take  off my  shoes
and run them through the x ray  machine again.  I bought  a  few  last items  at he  gift  shops
and  I exchanged  my remaining   yen  for  greenbacks.  The  flight  back  was  a  little  more
comfortable  and  shorter  but  uneventful.  Every one  had  to  disembark  from  the  747.
foreigners in 1  line  citizens in  another.  We  had to  go through  customs  and  the  agriculture
check  point  too.

I got   out  of  the  air port  at  8:10 AM   ish  and I  was  happy  to  see  that  the  driver  for the
Santa Barbara Air  Bus  and the  2 other returning  passengers  waited  a  few  minutes  for me.
This way  I  did not  have  to hang  around  until the  next  bus  at  10 30  AM.  I slept  on the
bus  and  tipped  the  driver  $5  for  waiting.  The driver  called  ahead  to  have  a  taxi  waiting  
for  me.  The carribean driver came  10  minutes after  I arrived  at the  drop  off  location.  The
difference  was  that he  didn’t  even  get  out  of  the  car  to help  put my  luggage  in the  trunk
unlike  all  of  the  Japanese  taxi drivers  and I  had  to give this  guy  a  tip.  

I arrived  home  called my  mother  to   let her  know  that I arrived in  1 piece and that I  had an
excellent  trip and  yes I  was  still  single.  I  slept  for 5  hours, dropped  off  my  remaining
rolls of  film off  for  development,  and I  had  Chinese  food  for dinner.   I  sorted  and
organized the  presents  for my  coworkers   went  through  the  mountain of mail  and  pulled
out the important  stuff.   I  was able  to sleep in the  next  morning  before  going  to  work  so  I
would  have  to  say that  my  jet  lag  was minimal.  Now  it  is  back  to the  bump and  grind of
American living

Bob S
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Japan Journal  # 19 , posted by Windmill Boy on Mar 15, 2003

It's actually a small chain restaurant named Gyu-Kaku.  It turns out there is even one a bit off the beaten path here in Kawagoe.  Looking through my beer and drink coupons, I found a couple for the Gyu-Kaku branch here for 500 yen off.  Don't know if the Harajuku branch would have honored them.  Oh well...
Yeah, they got a lot of communal style dishes like that: yaki-niku; shabu-shabu; suki-yaki; nabe...  Even what could be individual dishes (like the yaki-tori at izakaya night) gets turned into a communal experience.  Looking forward to sharing the communal food pot with y'all when I return in 6 months!
Jeff S
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Yaki-Niku!, posted by Bob S on Mar 16, 2003

Eric, come on down when Bob gets back and Korean style yaki-niku is on me in Garden Grove.

I take it this means you're not planning to re-up?

- Jeff

Bob S
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to OK You're on., posted by Jeff S on Mar 16, 2003

Naw.  This teaching gig was fun, but I gotta get back to a real job that I was educated and trained for.  The only thing that could keep me in Japan would be an equivalent technical or engineering job at a big company here. (Though I am pursuing that angle too.)
Ray
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Japan Journal  # 19 , posted by Windmill Boy on Mar 15, 2003

You know Wind, those whale-dogs-on-a-stick are really not bad with a lot of mustard, especially when you're drunk on Akadama wine :-)

I don't think whale meat qualifies as seafood. Whale, the other white meat?

Ray

Windmill Boy
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Whale dogs, posted by Ray on Mar 15, 2003

Neither does  Alligator  but I  ain't  asking  for  seconds.

Windmill boy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: