Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 12, 2024, 10:18:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japan Journal # 18  (Read 2174 times)
Windmill Boy
« on: March 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Saturday & Sunday February 9 & 10, 2003 ...

The train left Kanazawa and I  headed  towards  Niigata.  The  train  left  at  around   3  PM and
it was  a 3  1/2  hour  trip along  the  coast .  It  was  a somewhat  uneventful  trip  with  gray
skies. I  remember  at  times  looking  out  the  left  hand window  and  seeing  the ocean  and
then  looking  out   the  right  hand  window  and  seeing  the  snow  covered   mountains that
were  maybe  5000  feet.  It is kind  of  like  here  in   Santa  Barbara  except  the  mountains
were  taller  and  it  is  usually  sunny  here.  At  one  point  we  went  past  a  small  town having
a  winter  carnival  that  had colored   snow sculptures  that were  30  feet  high.  I recall  seeing
Winnie  the Pooh  as  one  of  the15 or so characters  as  we  sped  past  it.  I  saw  the  kids
doing  winter  sports here  like  sledding  though.  I was  getting  into  the deep  snow  country  of
Japan.  Otherwise  it  got  dark  by  5  PM  and  the  train  ride  was  dull.

I  arrived  at  Niigata  at  6:30 - 7 PM and  I  found  my Toyoko Inn  which  was  attached  to  the
Train  station.  I  chose  to  stop  at  this  city  because  It  was  my  Japanese  teachers  home
town  and  it  connected  with  the  Shinkassen  (bullet  train ) to  Tokyo.  I  made  my
reservation  for the  next  days  train  at 11;15 AM.   I looked around  the shops  at the  station. I
bought  a  couple  of  crafts.   I found  a French  bakery for  dinner that  had  nice items  and  they
even had  minestrone  soup  too.  After  settling  into my  room  and seeing  the  city  lit up in
neon  below  me I figured  I would check it  out.

Niigata  turned out  to  be  the 1  city  in Japan  that  I  really  did  not care for.  As  I  walked the
streets  close  to the  train  station  I  really got an  uneasy  feeling.  there  seemed  to  be  a lot  of
seedy looking guys  hanging  out  together on  the  street corners  smoking  their  cigarettes
Gangsters / Mob ?  I  walked  down  another  street  and   a  Prostitute  wearing  a  fur  coat  tried
to  proposition  me.  Sorry  that  just  isn’t  my  style.  Another  prostitute  on  the  other side  of
the  street was  striking  up  a  conversation  with the  guy  walking  ahead of me  as  I  returned
towards the  station.  I saw  a  Tintin - French comic  book specialty  store  that I  was interested
in but  was already  closed.   I  also saw  3  low rider American cars  parked  together  outside of
the  train station  with  their  owners  next  to  them  that was a little  interesting.  But  even by
looking  at  the ordinary  people  in this city  I got  the  impression  that  it  was  very  blue collar
here.  For  the  most  part  I  thought  Niigata  was  a  scummy  rust belt  type  industrial city  that
needs  to  clean  up  their  image  although  they  recently  held  some of  the  world cup soccer
games  there. I  was the  only place  in Japan  that I  did not  feel  safe  and over all I   just wasn’t
into  being  there,  so I  returned  to  my room.  It  did not  really  look any  better  there  the  next
morning  as  it  got  light  out  the  city  was  greay  and  depressing    and  looked   like  an
upscale  Gary  Indiana.  I  was  supposed  to catch my  train back  to  Tokyo at 11:15 AM  the
next  morning  any how.  So  I  just  went  through my bags  lightened the  load  and packed  the
items  I  did not  need  to  get  to any more  way on  the  bottom.  

The  train never arrived or  even existed  at  the  track I  was supposed  to  be at.  When  11:30
AM  I  went down and  asked  what is  going  on here?  where is  no  train?  They  issued  a new
ticket  for the  next  bullet  train to  Tokyo. It  was  a Double Decker  train car  that  had  the
Green  car  emblem on it.   I  thought  oh  cool  They upgraded me  since  they  screwed up.  But
it  turned  out  that  the  Green car (first class)   is  the  top  car.  My guide  book  had previously
indicated  that  though  we  would  be  going through  some  very scenic  country side ( the
Japanese  Alps).   The  view  from the  train was  not good as  we went  through many tunnels in
the  hilly  terrain.  Actually  there  seemed to be  a  concrete  wall most  of the  trip  that  you
could  not see over, unless  you  were  above in the green  car  section.  So what else  was  there
to  do  but  have  some  Oreos  drink  some  water  and  take  a  snooze.

I arrived at  Tokyo  station  and  transferred  trains  until  I got  back  to Mejiro  station  again.  I
took  a  taxi  back to  the  Four Seasons and  some  of  the  staff  remembered  me  from  2  1/2
weeks earlier and  said  welcome  back .  -- Very  impressive   I  checked  in  at about  3 PM.
This time they  assigned  me a room on the same  10 Th. floor  but on the other side of the
building  with a view  of  the  garden below.  The  female  bellman  rung  the  doorbell
unexpectedly  and  presented  me  with a nice fancy pen (better  than the  ones  we  normally
have  at our hotel)  compliments of the general  manager  for my  return visit to  the  hotel.  It
was  Sunday  afternoon  and I  waited  for  my  friend  Tomomi to  arrive  at  4 30 PM  in  the
hotel Lobby.  Weddings  are a  big  business and  as I  waited  I  observed  3  -  4  wedding
parties  with the  brides  and  attendants  in  their  beautiful Kimonos  and  the  men  dressed  in
suits.

Tomomi  is  a  casual  friend  who is  my  age.    I  have  been writing with for about  6  months
now and  then.  Tomomi  arrived  and wanted  to  take  me  to Asakusa  (older  part of  Tokyo)
but I  mentioned  that I  had  been there  once  before  ( the  Restaurant  supply street)  and  that I
would  be  visiting  there  the  next  day  with  Bob and  his girlfriend.   She  then said  how
about  Yokohama?  I  said  that  would  be  great  I  had  wanted  to visit  there  but  didn’t  think
I  would  make  it  there.  We  took  a cab  back  to  Mejiro station  and  took  some  trains down
to  Yokohama   about  a   45 minute  - 1  hour  ride.  We  had  a  nice  conversation during  the
trip so the  time  flew  by.  Tomomi  lived  in LA  previously  before   and  her  English is
excellent   we  talked  about  both  being  single at  our  age  an  the  type  of  people  we  are
meeting.   She  mentioned  a  guy  she  had  met  before  in San Francisco  who  turned  out  to
be  kind  of creepy..  I  knew  of this  same  guy  from  a  Japanese  girl  I  had  a  Internet
friendship  with  a  couple  of  years  ago.  Koko the girl I  knew  said he  was  her  friend  but
Tomomi  mentioned  her  was  creepy and  was  nothing  like he  represented  himself  as on  th e
Internet.  He  did  not  really  even look like  his  picture.  We  laughed   that we knew of  this
same  person.

We  arrived  in Yokohama  which  was  interesting  and  lit  up  at  night   I  tried  to  take  some
pictures but  they  came  out  under  exposed.  I  saw  some  of  the  famous  landmark
Skyscrapers  and their  large  Ferris wheel  all  lit  up.  (Japan loves  Ferris  wheels).     I    had
seen pictures of Yokohama  before  and I  would  like  to  go back and  see it again in the
daytime. We  made it over to Chinatown  the  largest  in Japan  and we  had  a great dinner.  The
only  Chinatown I  missed  was  Kobe.   We  talked quite  a  bit during  our  nice  dinner.  She
told  me  that  she  is  just  as  content living  in Japan  as  in America.  Tomomi mentioned   that
she  has  been  very  fortunate  to  have  survived  all  of the downsizing  that  her  industry  has
done  so far.  She  mentioned  that the  financial  industry  is  very  stressful  and  she  actually
prefers to associate  with  people  such  as  myself  outside  of  her  industry. She  told  me  that
she  owns  a  3  bed room  apartment  penthouse  that she  was  lucky  to  get  for  a  good  price.
She  related the  interesting  quip  that  she  had  an unemployed  friend  who  was able to wait
in  line for  7  days to help her get the apartment.  She  likes to entertain and  have  parties
sometimes.   Tomomi  has  a lot  of  friends in  different  industries  and  she  gave  me  some
insights  about job  possibilities for working  in Japan.  

We  walked  a  little  through  China town  and  made  it  back to the train station.  Tomomi  got
off at her  nearest  station  and I  continued  on  to  Mejiro  Station  and I  walked the 20 minutes
back to  the  hotel.  after  traveling  around  and  sleeping  on hard  beds  at  the hotels  I  really
appreciated  the  luxury  again  of  being  in this  expansive  room  and  having  a  nice  soft
plush  bed.

Ray
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Japan Journal  # 18, posted by Windmill Boy on Mar 15, 2003

All right! Yokohama!

You know, I think I used to be in love with Ayumi Ishida, who sang "Blue Light Yokohama". But that was a loooooooong time ago. I wonder what ever happened to her...?

Ray

Windmill Boy
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Japan Journal  # 18, posted by Ray on Mar 16, 2003

Ray

Whenever I mention Yokohama  to  one  of  my  best  friends  all  he  can invision in his  head  is  Yokohama  Tires  which has  been  a  previously  obscure  brand  in  my  head --  Not  Japan's  2nd  largest  city -- Go  figure?

Windmill boy

Dave H
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Japan Journal  # 18, posted by Windmill Boy on Mar 15, 2003

[This message has been edited by Dave H]

Hi Mr Donut...whoops I mean Windmill Boy, ;o)))

It seems like you got scolded more for taking pictures in Japan, than Tom Green did for f##king around. ;o) I can't believe those little people weren't affraid of the Grande Gringo...Ahhh Godzilla....Godzilla ahhhh!!! =8oO The prostitutes seemed friendly enough...you should have taken pictures...errr for Stephen, not me! ;o))) Very detailed and interesting journal of an American's first adventure in Japan. I look forward to more!

Dave H.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: