Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 02, 2024, 04:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peso = P52 : $1  (Read 3373 times)
Kreeger
« on: August 22, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

Sad for the poverty-stricken Filipino.

http://www.inq7.net/forex/forex_popup.htm

Ray
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Peso = P52 : $1, posted by Kreeger on Aug 22, 2002

Joe,

Like Nathan said, the Peso has been fairly steady for the last couple of years. I don't think it's moved more than 3-4% either way in that time.

But you're right, that a weaker Peso hurts the Philippines. The people who live on remitted dollars are the ones who make out when the rate goes up. I remember when the exchange rate was fixed at P3.85/$1 but I think the Filipinos are better off now than they were then. Back then, most people couldn't afford a refrigerator, T.V., or air-conditioner, let alone an electric fan. Now the electric power supply is much more stable, the roads are better, and telephone service is available most everywhere. I see more cell phones in the Phils than I do here. So, the standard of living has improved greatly and fewer people are starving.

One thing that really did hurt them economically was the closing of the U.S. military bases. The Pentagon used to be the second largest employer over there, behind the Philippine government. And those were good paying jobs with union benefits in most cases.

Ray

Nathan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Peso = P52 : $1, posted by Kreeger on Aug 22, 2002

Actually the Peso has been pretty stable since Estrada left office, just a little over 50 to the buck. The exchange rate is not nearly as important other factors- look at the Yen at about 120 to the dollar...but yes, the Filipino
is always the victim of their own governance.

Nathan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: