Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 08, 2024, 11:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Applying for Citizenship: Pros and Cons?  (Read 10076 times)
SteveM
« on: July 30, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Privet,

We are compiling the paperwork for my wife to apply for citizenship, and before we send it in, I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on the pros and cons of your RW becoming an American citizen as quickly as possible.  Does it significantly help here to get them out of the green card process? Does it make doing things in Russia harder without a Russian passport?

Steve M.

Georgina
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Applying for Citizenship: Pros and Cons?, posted by SteveM on Jul 30, 2004

As a citizen she can sponsor her mother and/or other relatives to come to live here as legal residents and it will take much less time for them to get here than for others sponsored by a legal resident.

For example, if she wants to sponsor her parents, it will take from 1 to 2 years for them to get their residence (others can jump in if I am wrong). She could sponser her siblings. A legal resident cannot sponsor her siblings. It takes like 12+ years to get your siblings here though.

Of course, this could be good for her, but bad for you...

SteveM
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Applying for Citizenship: Pros and C..., posted by Georgina on Aug 4, 2004

Thanks for all the input.  In our case, the ability to sponsor her mother is critical, since my wife is an only child.  My MIL currently lives with her 92-year old mother, and has friends she is close to, but sometime in the future, we may well want her living closer by.  As far as my interest, she is very low key and easy to live with--probably easier than any of us.  Also, she is much more tolerant of my bad Russian than either my wife or son is, plus she usually takes my side when my wife and I have an argument.
david hagar
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Applying for Citizenship: Pros and Cons?, posted by SteveM on Jul 30, 2004

One very important thing that no one has brought is that she could vote as a citizen of this country.

Beattledog

Ken W
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Dunno, my wife and I have discussed this several times, and we just can't come up with a good reason. As long as she stays out of trouble with the BCIS, a permanent residency card is as good as citizenship, at least while in the US.

The only real bonus would be that ugly blue passport that makes customs everywhere go so much smoother Smiley

John F
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

My wife just became a US citizen.  For us there are two advantages.  First, her being able to visit Ukraine without a worry when she is ready to return home.  Second, a greencard holder must always keep BCIS informed of their address.  We can now move across town, across the state, or even across the country without having to remember to tell BCIS where she is living.
tbirdjoy
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Applying for Citizenship: Pros and C..., posted by John F on Aug 3, 2004

Third reason is it releases you from that 10 year affidavit of support.  Just in case.  :-)

Mark

SteveM
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Thanks for all the comments so far.  I am still wondering if not having a Russian passport makes it more difficult  for my wife to go back to Russia and to take care of or sell property that my wife owns there.
Apk1
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to What about traveling to Russia and ownin..., posted by SteveM on Aug 1, 2004

My Russian wife tells me that Russians are allowed dual citizenship, which means she does not give up her Russian passport and may also have an American passport.
 My wife also owns 2 flats in Moscow, right now she is not worried about losing her property rights since she is a registered Moscovite...but no one knows for sure what the future may shake up...Putin is losing some political ground lately.
SteveM
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What about traveling to Russia and o..., posted by Apk1 on Aug 1, 2004

Lynn
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What about traveling to Russia and o..., posted by Apk1 on Aug 1, 2004

I have a question for you. Do you or your wife have knowledge of the UCC 1 financing statement and what it's equivalent is in Russia? Good knowledge of that may help in future situations.
Apk1
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: What about traveling to Russia a..., posted by Lynn on Aug 1, 2004

[This message has been edited by Apk1]

Have no idea what the UCC 1 has to do with property in Russia....is'nt this form for American business assests filed by ea. state?, and for putting a lean against someone selling those assets without your knowlege?

I may be wrong but in Russia the real estate is bought and sold as it is here, and the real problem is paying the sales tax...much more than it is here.

Lynn
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: What about traveling to Russ..., posted by Apk1 on Aug 1, 2004

He who files the UCC 1 first has prior claim and "all" others have to step back until "his" claim is satisfied.
UCC laws have been adopted to most countries around the world. Each state of the "Republic" has it's own title, i.e. North Carolina's Title 25 is the UCC. Each state/country has their own adapted version and I would bet the CIS countries have their own version----it's how business gets done. There are ways to use these laws to your advantage if you think out of the normal box a bit, do a little research----don't take my word for it and don't run ask your lawyer----you probably won't get a very informed answer from him, after all there is no need for him unless there is a conflict. I have had no reason to persue a translated version of their UCC equivalent laws, but it sounds like you might.
slimjimco
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Does anyone know the timeline for the citizenship process in the Nebraska office?  We will jump throgh these hoops in January.  Identical passports can help in international travel visas, and dissimiliar passports are an automatic flag for "profiling".
slimjimco
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

I have been told that she could receive Social Security benefeits only if she is a citizen.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: