Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 05, 2024, 10:25:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning Russian language, one step up ...  (Read 3160 times)
tsmnick
« on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Hello. I've finished with PIMSLEUR RUSSIAN I, II and III. Right now I can nearly repeat them word by word. I've got a russian teacher, two days a week, but I travel and work a lot, I want to improve my russain skills while I'm in my car, gym, free time at work, ...

Which Russian Language course do you recommend after Pimsleur III?
Of course, it has to be a course in CD ROM, audio files or similar, and I've got WORLD TALK (from EuroTalk Interactive), and it's TOO MUCH difficult for me to follow. Do you know any good one?

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Dan
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Learning Russian language, one step up ...., posted by tsmnick on May 6, 2003

During, and long after, I studied the Pimsleur materials - I had daily telephone conversations with people in Ukraine.

Since many of them spoke little, or no, English - it was a terrific learning experience for me - if somewhat frustrating for them --smile--.

It's not for everyone Wink

- Dan

wsbill
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to What Worked For Me . . ., posted by Dan on May 6, 2003

If you could call up someone who speaks english (preferable a lady).  I'll bet you could maker her into your language coach and while you study the pimsleur, you can practice on her and if she's nice, she'll teach you the language without really know it.

Just think a $20 calling card and talking for 30 minutes to 1 hours at a time.  Of course, have various ladies you talk with...

TwoBitBandit
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Learning Russian language, one step up ...., posted by tsmnick on May 6, 2003

I'm almost in the same boat as you.  I just started lesson 29 in Pimsleur Russian II and I'll be starting on Russian III in a day or two.  

When I'm done with that I don't know what I'll study.  But, I'm thinking of trying some of these products I found mentioned on a university web site as being appropriate for intermediate students(http://www.ex.ac.uk/russian/audio.html):

ALM Russian Level 2 (Harcourt Brace and World Inc., New York, 1965) [41-49]* 9 units with dialogue, reading passages and structure drills

Blum, A., Russian Dialogues (Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1968) [158- 161]* 16 units adapted from the works of Chekhov, Zoshchenko etc. for listening comprehension. Also suitable for advanced-level students.

Braithwaite, Albina and Michael Frewin, Svidanie v Moskve (BBC, 1975) [58-80]* 20 dialogue-based units, some with additional interviews. Also includes notes and exercises and four tapes summarizing the course.

Devereux, J., Listening Comprehension Course for Advanced Learners of Russian (Exeter Tape Series) [722-723]* Introduction in English, with passages in Russian. Accompanying text includes exercises in practical transcription, translation matching, and other comprehension exercises in 8 units, based on monologues and dialogues dealing with a variety of everyday topics. Suitable for pre- and post- 'A' level students.
Khavronina, S., Russian As We Speak It (Moscow: ILIY, 1960) [54- 56]* 21 lessons with conversational dialogues and grammatical exercises

O'Toole, L.M., Passport to Odessa (Oxford University Press,1972) [200-221]* 20 lessons, each in two parts: a dialogue followed by pronunciation and comprehension exercises, and drills based on the lesson. Accompanying tape
Passport to Moscow also available for beginners.

Linguaphone Russian Course (The Linguaphone Institute, London, 1971) [222-245]* 30 lessons with situational dialogues, comprehension and vocabulary exercises, plus follow-up written exercises.

Sdelai sam (University of Oxford Language Teaching Centre) [308/ 1-9]* The first 20 based on the BBC radio course Svidanie v Moskve (also suitable for advanced-level students).

hockeybrain
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Some possibilities?, posted by TwoBitBandit on May 6, 2003

Thanks for the list.
tsmnick
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Some possibilities?, posted by TwoBitBandit on May 6, 2003

THANKS A LOT.

Nick.

vagn
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

And if the liner notes have the lyrics, so
much the better.  Maybe some of the people
here can recommend singers that have clear
voices, clean pronunciation, and sing songs
that are structured as sentences rather then
just "ooh, ooh, hei-ho, yadaya ne lublyu nixto".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: