Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 07, 2024, 07:32:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Form DS-230 Question-- Necessary for K-1?  (Read 6470 times)
Scaught
« on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Scaught]

Hi Everyone:

My fiancee's status is we had the petition approved. Now, after waiting five weeks for her to get the packet three forms and still not receiving them in Ukraine, I faxed the OF-169 checklist (my request a month or so ago to open a provisional file was denied by Warsaw-- their e-mail said they don't do that anymore).

I have a question about the DS-230 Part I. Apparently, it is some kind of biographical data form. On the OF-169 there seems to be conflicting information. On page one of OF-169, it says under "FIRST" that form DS-230 Part I is needed, period. Then, on page two, it says that DS-230 Part I is for "immigrant visa applicants only"-- not fiancee visa applicants.

I didn't fax the DS-230 with the OF-169 checklist because this is a fiancee visa-- I went with the page two info, figuring that the government carelessly omitted on page one about this being for immigrant visas. After all, when we file 129-F's, we send biographical data for us and our fiancees, so why would another be required?

I did an archive search for DS-230 and OF-169 and didn't see anything clear about this question: whether or not the DS-230 is required. In fact a bunch of people wrote that they sent in the DS form.

Form DS-230 isn't required for fiancee visas, right, for Ukrainian fiancees? Could someone confirm this from experience (not sending in DS-230 and everything goes smoothly-- interview scheduled and this form is never mentioned, etc.)?

Thank you-- Scaught

Scaught
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Form DS-230 Question-- Necessary for K-1..., posted by Scaught on May 12, 2003

This is an update for people who will search the archives about this.

The DS-230 is for immigrant visas, not for fiancee visas. I didn't fax this (only faxed the completed and signed OF-169) and my fiancee got an interview scheduled. If Warsaw tells you that your Ukrainian fiancee needs the DS-230, just remind the person that this is not for an an immigrant visa; you are pursuing a fiancee visa for her. Page two of the OF-169 should make this clear. Disregard the ambiguity of the wording on page one.

Good luck to everyone.

Yeahbaby
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Form DS-230 Question-- Necessary for K-1..., posted by Scaught on May 12, 2003

My wife got here in December.  I was told by the Embassy via phone that yes, we needed the DS-230 part 1 (not part 2).  Also the DS-156 and the DS-156K.

I have learned through this insane process that it is much like dealing with the IRS, i.e. no crystal clear answers!
I did what I was told by the Embassy.  Was it really necessary??  I have no idea, we just did it because that is what we were told by them..  I believe in over-preparedness as opposed to under-preparedness so we did it.

But why did you wait 5 weeks for them to send her packet info??  You could have sent her anything she needed or filled them out yourself and sent them in her behalf immediately..

Best of luck,
Oscar

Scaught
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Form DS-230 Question-- Necessary for..., posted by Yeahbaby on May 13, 2003

Okay, now I see... yes, even the government doesn't know if they want this form from us or not. Page one says the opposite of page two on  the OF-169. Future archive readers: that's the story.

I waited so long to fax the OF-169 because I had earlier faxed a request to open a provisional file. It took a few weeks for the reply to come back that they don't do that because they are so streamlined now. Well, five weeks after approval, Warsaw still hasn't sent the Packet three stuff to my fiancee, so I decided to take things into my own hands. By then, unfortunately, several weeks were wasted. I also wasn't in such a hurry because we are shooting for her to come early August (she is in school now), so there was no hurry five weeks ago. We can still make our timeline if Warsaw will finally do something for us, but we will see.

Travis
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I never submitted this form and was never asked for it. Maybe someone else is more clear on what it is and why it is required.
Scaught
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Form DS-230 Question-- Necessary for..., posted by Travis on May 12, 2003

kbgdy;oksojtrph]pojtfh mduu ku k
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: