Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 02, 2024, 12:32:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian ladies are growing fat!!  (Read 20105 times)
Oscar
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to be prepared, posted by KenC on Dec 30, 2002

Yes Ken, I have already found this.  We were out shopping the other day and it was lunch time so I thought hey, we drop into MacDonalds, pick up a quick burger..  She told me that she really doesn't like McDonalds, that it is "not good food for body".  She said that she only took her son there once in a great while because she knows it isn't good food.  I was glad to hear it as I feel pretty much the same way.  
Interesting though, my girl doesn't drink (nor do I) and she really doesn't like soft drinks and things like that.  We are really quite alike in these preferences..  Amazingly, she doesn't even like or drink coffee, only tea!  I don't like coffee either..  So, we really are very alike in this way.  I also love the fresh fruits and veggies just like she does.  There are nights that we just have veggies with olive oil on them, baked in the oven with some spices.. man, it's really good!  But she is really shocked that I am a pretty good cook.  She says she never knew men back home that really cooked, they always had to be waited on by the women.  She's been amazed at what I can do on my barbeque.
It's really been fun..
John K
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: be prepared, posted by Oscar on Dec 30, 2002

I heard that!  I spend almost every weekend barbequing pork ribs on the ole charcoal grill.  While Marina cooks, I often do the cooking in our household.  Actually, it's more "warm it up in the microwave".  I don't have time usually to do real cooking, and Marina hates to clean up after me. ;-)

Still, I've found that some things are easy to prepare and still are pretty good.  I throw 4 cans of cheap chili and a jar of salsa in the slow cooker for 20 or 30 minutes for a nice dinner.  That, or toss a roast in the slow cooker with sage, rosemary, thyme and a few bay leaves in the morning, and have Marina drop in the veggies an hour or two before I come home at night for an easy, but delicious, meal.

I think I might spend some time teaching her how to make homemade cakes and goodies.  She buys a lot of stuff at the grociery store only to throw most of it away, because it isn't her taste.  If I teach her how to make a spice cake or a simple white cake, I might cut my grociery bill down in a hurry...

Oscar
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Bar B Que!, posted by John K on Dec 31, 2002

Awesome!  Yep, I love to barbeque, I guess the more accurate term would be "grill".  She has been amazed because I don't do many steaks, I do things like marinated pork loin roasts, lobster tails, and rack of lamb!  LOL!  We went to a restaurant the other night and they liked my marinated grilled chicken better than the chicken at the resaturant..
I just bought this Weber grill a few months ago, had never owned a good grill before, but I am really getting into it and having a lot of fun with it.  Made a few racks of lamb and my family about died, they loved it.  We will soon be trying prime rib, I'm stoked to try that!

Alyona keeps asking when SHE is going to get to cook!  But I'm afraid, very afraid! LOL!  Actually she is a very good cook.  I'm lucky..  We also do lots of fresh veggies with olive oil..

KenC
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: be prepared, posted by Oscar on Dec 30, 2002

Oscar,
Score some major points wih your sweetie by buying an electric kettle.  They are not that expensive and very useful for tea drinkers.  The water heats up in a few mins.  I know what you mean about RW being surorised that we cook.  My Mother in Law is already putting in her requests for what food I will cook when she and my Father in Law arrive next month.  LOL
KenC
Apk1
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to be prepared, posted by KenC on Dec 30, 2002

Yep, happened to me too...

My wife cleaned out my pantry of canned foods if there was no experation date...she will not even buy anything canned at the store unless it has a date.

Some things obout the FSU will never be forgotten....

By the way. my wife still refuses to drink tap water, even though it has a very clean taste..

John F
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: be prepared, posted by Apk1 on Dec 30, 2002

n/t
Mike
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Russian ladies are growing fat!!, posted by Haroshij on Dec 30, 2002

I don't know if they're getting fatter living in Russia, at least under the age of 30, but I notice once they are here it is more likely to happen. My wife thinks it's all the chemicals we have in our food that cause people to get/be fat?? Myself I doubt that is the case and think it is mostly due to the lack of walking so much each day and the burning of calories being out in cold weather while walking?
Most that had a job had to walk to and from either their local metro station or bus line to get to work, here they just walk out to the car. I suppose we'll never know for sure.

Mike

William
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Russian ladies are growing fat!!, posted by Mike on Dec 30, 2002

This discussion reminds me of several trip reports were the AM ate like a pig while over in Russia and didn't gain weight.
Undoubtable both are a factor; I've spend a week in deer camp eating home cooked foods(from scratch) and not gained weight, as well.
MtMav
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Russian ladies are growing fat!!, posted by Mike on Dec 30, 2002

the chemicals/additives/perservatives in our food supply as your wife suggests AND a lack of walking/exercise as you suggest. We Americans eat far, far too much out of a can and other processed foods as well as "junk." Ever read the label of a can? You need to be a chemist to figure it out.
Your wife is QUITE correct. My former (West) German wife made the same observation as your wife concerning our foods. Be empathetic with your wife....... I guarantee she is having problems with our food. Like your wife, my former walked EVERYWHERE in Frankfurt...... here in the USA? Nien! That lack of walking coupled with our food caused my former to IMMEDIATELY start putting on weight! Good luck to you and your wife.
Haroshij
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I think your're right plus I also think it has something to do with what kind of food we eat. A lot of white bread, fat (hamburgers), spagetti and all kind of refined food make us fat. We eat too little vegetables and fish.

I also think it is some kind of connection between social classes and what kind of food they eat. Rich and educated people are more aware of what is healthy food.

In Russia more and more people are getting their own car, and when their economy is improving they tendence to eat the same kind of food we eat in the western world. To them the western (American) way of life seems very attractiv. They don't know better.

Haroshij

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: