Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 30, 2024, 10:19:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Social Security Number  (Read 1020 times)
davet
« on: September 25, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

We were married on June 7, 2002.  Irina's visa expired on June 15, 2002.  We applied for a social security number (SSN) on June 10.  Received the SSN card on June 19, 2002.

My advice:  After you get married, hand carry the completed marriage license to your County Clerk or whoever registers the marriage.  Get a registered marriage license.  Take the license (along with the other paperwork required) to your local Social Security office and get the SS card.

And do this before your fiancee's visa expires as the SS website specifically states that you must have a valid visa.

By getting the card after marriage, then the card is in your wife's married name.  If you get it before marriage, then you have another trip or more paperwork to fill out at the SS office to change the name.

The reason I am posting this advice is that I have seen a number of people on the this list and other lists that have waited until the visa has expired and they have had real problems getting the SSN.  After visa expiration, the SS office requires some other paperwork associated with your AOS and that may be hard to obtain.

IMHO

Bill P
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Advice on Social Security Number, posted by davet on Sep 25, 2002

That's exactly what we did.  There is a social security office memo that one can download that instructs offices to process ss card applications for I-129F recipients but I think all the offices know about this by now.  I think it would be harder to get once the 90-day visa has expired.

-Bill P

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: