Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 01, 2024, 11:38:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about wedding rings for RW-  (Read 2266 times)
Oscar
« on: September 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

I have been to quite a few countries in Europe and to the FSU and I mostly remember seeing simple wedding bands as opposed to diamond wedding rings.
I spoke to my girl early this morning to ask her what she liked.  Well, she certainly didn't make it easy on me!  She said that she did prefer white gold to yellow gold but that other than that, she just wanted me to "surprise" her, that anything I chose, she would be thrilled with and love.
Well, that is certainly kind of nice to hear.  I can certainly say that I have never heard THAT from an AW!  
So my question is, do most of the RW who come here seem to want diamond wedding rings or do they prefer a wedding band??

Any thoughts appreciated.

Oscar

don1
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Question about wedding rings for RW-, posted by Oscar on Sep 30, 2002

My girl just wanted a simple gold band ; she thought that a big ring was too flashy and too expensive . She was also worried about getting a ring that had a mounted stone caught on something , she wanted something low profile . I had wanted to give her a diamond , so I ended up giving her a simple gold band with a few diamond insets . I bought it here in the USA and took it with me on one of my visits . The store where I bought it tried to talk me out of giving what they called an 'anniversary' type of ring for an engagement ; but it was just what she wanted and of course she loved it .
I think you hit the nail right on the head when you said ".....that anything I chose , she would be thrilled with and love......."

Quasimoto
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Question about wedding rings for RW-, posted by Oscar on Sep 30, 2002

You have it easy. I was in Home Depot this week and saw a young guy that went to the high school where I coached. I really didn't know him, but he was a nice rather quiet boy-scout type. He got married this year, and he and his wife were shopping for some appliances for their new modest home. Anyway, I talked to them in the custom kitchen area. After an update, his attractive wife drug him over to the most expensive stainless steel stove in the place. "This is the one I want and need. It has this..and this........", and a pricetag of $1499. A nice gas Maytag was $500, and GEs about the same. Now I know this guy makes $9 an hour. Let me see, that is 167 hours of labor.

Steve

Oscar
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Question about wedding rings for RW-, posted by Quasimoto on Oct 1, 2002

davet
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

Russian gold has more copper in it so it has a reddish tint.  The yellow and white gold that we (Americans) see is also common and popular in Russia.

Russian women know fashion -- period.  That's probably one of the factors in why we are travelling half way round the globe to meet and marry them.  My point is that they know wedding rings and traditions in the US.  So the custom in Russia may or may not be something they want to adhere to.  They want to have what the AW has.

Taste -- an AM picking the style of the ring is like walking into a mine field.  You better really know her tastes and style.

Charles
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

While I agree with the comments that the traditional practice is to give the gold band, my wife was thrilled to death with her "rock", although I am sure she would have been content with the gold band.  I don't think they have any expectations of receiving a diamond; that is a choice that each individual must make.  However, KenC is correct in that they really like to see that ring on your hand.
BarryM
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

are simple gold bands and are usually identical for both the man and wife. They are thicker than the typical engagement ring/wedding band set in America. 14k or 18k gold is usually appropriate in this case.

-blm

Frank O
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

I bought my ring a few months back. I will be going in November to Luhansk to see my lady & if things go well I will propose to her after 1 years correspondence. I bought a small ring at Helzbergs Diamonds. It is only 1/7 of a carat. I figure if I get scammed or something I haven't lost much. If it works out & we DO marry here then I will trade in and upgrade the ring. When I married my 1st wife we didnt even have a ring! At the end she ad a full carat $7K ring so that's not bad. Too bad she didn't leave the ring after we divorced! LOL!
Anyways I'd say buy something simple then upgrade when here. Bringing a lady & family can be expensive & you have the rest of your lives to buya "real" ring. Just my imput on this.
MarkInTx
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

Mine only wanted a band.

For now, anyway, eh? Once she sees all of the women running around with rocks on their fingers, she may change her mind.

FWIW, I'm planning on getting married by the J.P. here, just beacuse it will be easier, faster, and cheaper. I'll be pretty tapped out by the time I'm done paying to get my family here...

And then one year from now, I'm going to do a "renewel of the vows" ceremony for friends and family to come to, and I will give her a diamond then.

That's my plan, anyway...

KenC
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Dunno if things change when they get her..., posted by MarkInTx on Sep 30, 2002

[This message has been edited by KenC]

Mark,
Like most FSU women, Lena just wanted a simple gold band.  She thought large diamond engagement rings are gaudy.  As a compromise, I bought her a gold ring with diamond insets.  Many call it an aniversary ring.  She gets to have the diamonds I want to give her and she has her low profile band.  BTW, her opinion hasn't changed in the time she has been here.  Hope this helps.
KenC
p.s.(She was much more concerned about me getting (and wearing) a wedding ring!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: