Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
April 05, 2025, 08:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMERICAN KILLED IN THE RP  (Read 2111 times)
Don J
Guest
« on: January 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

From Yehey News......

American killed in Pinatubo ambush
1/31/2002 10:00:00 AM
Today

By JOJO DUE Correspondent
CLARK FIELD, Pampanga -- An American was reported killed and a Dutchman is still missing after they were attacked by still unidentified armed men while they were participating in a dirt-bike competition.

The two rented motorcycles in Angeles City and went to Mount Pinatubo earlier on Wednesday. They left the motorcycles at the foot of the mountain and scaled the volcano on foot.

Senior Supt. Ismael Rafanan, Pampanga police commander, identified the fatality as Bryan Thomas Smith.

Rafanan said Smith's death was reported through a text message to a certain Weiss, by Ziegfied Whitman, a Dutchman who was with the group.

He said Weiss works for the travel agency that organized the dirt-bike expedition.

Whitman's message said that he and Smith were shot at by still unidentified armed men and that Smith was killed.

Weiss received the message at 3 p.m. on Wednesday.

Rafanan said the police authorities have yet to identify the attackers, but that police and military teams have been sent to the area and are now searching for Whitman in the hilly portion of Porac town.

The slaying of the American and the reports of his missing colleague came barely a year after a group of U.S. Navy servicemen were attacked by New People's Army (NPA) rebels en route to Mount Pinatubo, on an organized tour during a break in an RP-U.S. military exercise held under the Visiting Forces Agreement in Zambales.

Lt. (junior grade) Scott Washburn was with some U.S. Navy colleagues, security escorts and guides when his group was intercepted by the communist guerrillas.

Washburn was reported missing after the incident. He went back to safety the following day by back-tracking the route they had taken, braving heavy rains and the cold in the foothills of the volcano the night before.

The U.S. Navy serviceman said he was able to hide and stayed overnight somewhere in the hilly section of barangay Sapangbato in Angeles City, one of many routes used by trekkers to Mount Pinatubo.

Reports said the travel agent of the slain American's group is the same as the one that organized Washburn's trek last year.

Whitman, who was in touch with rescuers through his cellular telephone, said that he and Smith had been scaling the volcano for two hours when they were attacked.

In his latest message to rescuers, Whitman said that he was walking Porac River and that he left Smith's body somewhere on the slopes of the mountain.

Maj. Allan Ballesteros, spokesman for the Air Force's 600th Air Base Wing here, said that Smith is not a participant in the RP-U.S. military exercise that starts on Thursday.

U.S. forces attending the RP-U.S. Exercise Balikatan sent an MH-47 helicopter equipped with night vision devices to search for Whitman last night.

Logged
Ray
Guest
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to AMERICAN KILLED IN THE RP, posted by Don J on Jan 31, 2002

I feel for the family of the guy who is dead, however…

This is an excerpt from a State Dept. travel advisory that has been posted since early October:

“On June 5, 2001, a group of American Navy personnel on leave and their guides were fired upon by an armed group on the slopes of Mt. Pinatubo. Americans are warned to avoid hiking or camping in this area."

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwhpub1.html

I mean, you can only do so much to warn people. If they decide to ignore the sound advice of their own government and take the risk anyway, then I’m not going to lose any sleep over the incident.

Ray

Logged
donb2222
Guest
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to AMERICAN KILLED IN THE RP, posted by Don J on Jan 31, 2002

The sad thing is that 2 or 3 people a day are killed here in Atlanta.  99% of these killings never get reported by the national or international media.   Why? Because murders are too common here in America.
I have always felt safer in the Philippines than here in America.  What happened at Pinatubo is terrible, but it should not discourage someone from going to the Philippines.

Don

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1 RC2 | SMF © 2001-2005, Lewis Media Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!