Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 30, 2024, 10:50:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what I think about America and Culture shock  (Read 3612 times)
Febtember
« on: February 04, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

This is an answer to Greg's question about what I think about America and my culture shock.
First I'm so blessed because I'm already here in U.S of A with my loving and very understanding husband.U.S.A really great, its a paradise.American's all nice.It's really cold here and I love to see my breath, most of all I love snow.It's like a petals of flower  falling from heaven.Whattttttttttttt a huge land...houses all beautiful and people boys and girls all pretty and handsome.
When I arrived here I wonder about the big street and highways.Lots of cars.Really huge land.Nieghbor too far from our house.Miles and miles of corn and soybeans.I don't know what to do with this corn and soybeans and I ask myself how to eat them all but my hubby tell me they export this corn and soybeans overseas and feed for cattle.Second thoughs I have is that who works on this land,do there are 20 to 50 workers here?I was very astonish when I know that only my hubby alone work in this big track of land.I was amaze how the machinery works but amaze also how expensive they were compare to our peso.Everythings here all high tech.from our kitchen accessories to our farm machinery.It's amaze me how the tractor works,most especially the combine,and the beeler plus the elevator in our grain bin.You cannot see like this in P.I. I was in great culture shock.Everythings here very expensive compare in philippines.
I like people here,they all warm and friendly.Some farmer's have 3 to 5 vehicles a car,a van,and a pick-up.Farmer's always have pick-up truck and I can't understand why too many vehicles.Farmer's in P.I dont have any not even a piece of land some have some but majority dont have.
Stores here not like ours in P.I at least we have very huge deparment store.I like the stores here most than our huge department store in P.I why there's always time saving,not worry about wheres these wheres that...And I like buying second hand items.Wow I love shopping at Salvation army and goodwill stores.Wish we have like these in P.I I love flea market also and some auction.My most unforgetable auction is the silent auction in St.Louis Mo.
Here in my town we always have fundraising dinner.We have chicken fry or fish fry and every wife of K of C member should bring desert.I always bake cake or make cherry delight.I like it here most...
Lots to tell but it's time to prepare suffer for my hubby...
Ray
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to what I think about America and Culture s..., posted by Febtember on Feb 4, 2002

Hi Feb!

I was curious about the food differences. Do you miss many of the foods from the Phils? How about your husband? Does he like many Filipino foods?

I don’t know how it is there in the heartland, but my wife says she’s lucky because most Filipino foods are fairly easy to find here in San Diego. Just within 10 minutes of our home, we have at least 30 or 40 Filipino restaurants, including Max’s Fried Chicken and Jollibee, and dozens of Filipino stores. We can get fresh lapulapu, dalagang bukid, bangus, tilapia, and all kinds of frozen and canned foods from the Philippines. We have plenty of fresh mangos and papayas, but they come mostly from Mexico or South America, and my wife says they aren’t very good, but ‘better than nothing’.

So, how hard is it to find Filipino foods there in farmland country and what foods do you miss the most? I hope you don’t have a craving for sinugba ng kambing (barbecued goat) and go after poor goaty with a butcher knife :-)

Ray

Willy
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to How about the food?, posted by Ray on Feb 5, 2002

Freakin being able to stop every 6 feet and being able to buy noodles, or garlic rice, or chicken off a grill, etc etc..it was great. Everywhere you go, food and drink and goodies, I'll be there in April

Willy

Ray
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Know what I miss Ray?, posted by Willy on Feb 5, 2002

Fresh mangos and real San Miguel beer (not that import krap)...
BrianN
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Know what I miss?, posted by Ray on Feb 5, 2002

My ex's most exemplary lumpia shanghai, and a beer, no matter the brand.  That lumpia she made was the best anywhere, especially put side by side with the others at the pot luck's.

A LOT of work to make it, (helped her do this many times), but the end result is pure heaven.

Febtember
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to How about the food?, posted by Ray on Feb 5, 2002

Ray,
Wow!too nice there.Its really hard to find some fresh seafoods here.No Filipino restaurant but have chinese.Every sunday my hubby and I attend a traditonal catholic mass in St.Louis MO.  after the mass sometimes we go shopping at some asian store there but too hard to find some of them becuase they only have very few.
I missed  fresh fish and fermented fish.I missed fresh seafoods terribly.But it's okey I like some food here mostly all foods.My husband don't like filipino food even chinese food.He get sick when he eat some of it maybe bacuase of the MSG monosodium glutimate.He always have stomach upset everytime he eat chinese and filipino food.He don't like food with soysauce and tomato sauce.Mostly filipino food have tomato sauce and soysauce.He really dont like squid iether most people here in midwest say squid like rubber very chewy.
I like mashed potato,roast beef,steak, italian beef,checken noodles,amished noodles hmmmmmmm yummy,lasagna,mostly midwest food or american food.I like hardees checken,kfc,popoye,long john silver and country restaurant.Before I forgot I really like turkey.I never eat turkey in P.I
greg
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to what I think about America and Culture s..., posted by Febtember on Feb 4, 2002

You both are Blessed. Your Hubby sound like a good Man. Ummmmm I need your advice on my situation, email me at gregoryas@webtv.net    whenever you got the time. greg
red
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I go back to the Philippines this summer to get my beautiful fiance,just as soon as INS says i can...i hope she is happy with her new home in Florida....see ya.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: