Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 03, 2024, 05:26:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: children of Russian fiancees/wives  (Read 4374 times)
JohnG
« on: January 03, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I have a question for those of you who married Russian women who already had a child. When you got married, did your wife's child also take your last name or keep your wife's former surname? If the child took your last name, was there a process you had to go through to make this happen, ie for social security, etc?

Thanks,

John and Olga

John F
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to children of Russian fiancees/wives, posted by JohnG on Jan 3, 2002

My wife's daughter still carries her Russian name.  She can't legally take my name unless I adopt her, and I will wait a few more years before I do that.  The reason is that once you adopt, you will be obligated to pay child support until the child reaches age of majority if there is a divorce.  I know.  I've been through that before and I live in the same state you do.

John

Stevo
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to children of Russian fiancees/wives, posted by JohnG on Jan 3, 2002

Child cannot 'legally' take last name just because you marry the mother.  Through adoption the child could take your last name, however. (and automatically become a citizen without going through naturalization process).

Now, that doesn't mean the child can't use your last name for purposes like school registration, etc., etc.  But on the SSN, AoS, things of that nature, the child would still be using his/her surname.

Stevo

Richard
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: children of Russian fiancees/wives, posted by Stevo on Jan 3, 2002

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do the children get away with registering for school using a name that is different from that on the legal documents?  Many years ago my aunt ran into trouble for trying to use her new last name before it was legally changed: her employer refused to change the name on their records without a legal paper to back it up.  Am I missing something?
tim360z
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: children of Russian fiancees/wiv..., posted by Richard on Jan 3, 2002

Names mean very little.  The entry is simply based upon where the kid lives.  He can live in a house or on the street...the name or even legal status and legal name is of little consequence...the kid gets into school.
Stevo
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: children of Russian fiancees/wiv..., posted by Richard on Jan 3, 2002

ggg
Richard
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to What docs?...they don't need no stinking..., posted by Stevo on Jan 3, 2002

I would expect that any school would want to see some sort or transcript or something along those lines to use as a guide in placing the student in the proper classes.  How would you reconcile the different names on the transcripts /  educational records and the one you are trying to register the student under?
Stevo
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What docs?...they don't need no stin..., posted by Richard on Jan 4, 2002

ggg
SteveM
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Schools don't expect anything (doc wise)..., posted by Stevo on Jan 4, 2002

Just a warning--school districts vary greatly.  While we didn't need to have a transcript, we did have a three day battle to prove that my wife's son qualified as a resident.  We even had one person in the district office tell us it would be much easier if we would just go ahead and get married the next day and skip the wedding...

Best to make phone calls and find out what you need ahead of time, IMO...

Charles
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I agree with the above comments.  As far as school registration, that is done shortly after their arrival and is not a problem.  The name on the passport and immigration documents is sufficient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: