Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 06, 2024, 02:26:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Russian Vernacular  (Read 14817 times)
WilliamMGi
« on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

"Tempt"
"Court"
"Seduce"

Is it reasonable that an RW, relying on a student's russian-english dictionary, would confuse these three verbs?

According to my own "Oxford Pocket", there may be some overlapping meanings (as there are in english).  Still, it should be easy to distinguish one from the other.

BrianN
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The Russian Vernacular, posted by WilliamMGi on Dec 27, 2002

It's not just the words individually, it's the entire composition of the statements themselves that can seem so honest, but be interpreted in such a bad way, or in a way that was totally unexpected.

Try just using an interpreter with those specific words.  Then try the word "sexy" with an interpreter, and the result is "sexual".  Hmm, I might tell my check out girl at the grocery store she looks sexy with such and such clothes on, but I'd NEVER say you look SEXUAL!  (LOL!).

Heck, just take a trip up to quebec sometimes, and the f word is thrown around like the d word down here... up there, it's considered "normal" in slang conversation.

Another thing, never use an oxymoron with rw unless they know exactly what it is, (before and after),... oxy's can get you in trouble big time.  Most interpreters don't have the (american) skill to deal with them.

I don't know, I'm just an amateur at this, and I've been everywhere except the fsu, each culture is different.. but none, is as american in language, as we are here.  (at least the western europeans can figure out oxymoronic statements and most of our slang though).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: