Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 08, 2024, 09:34:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does fiance get checked at the firstairport?  (Read 8350 times)
keith
« on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

she enters or does she get checked at the airport she exits by the immigration authorities??  My fiancee will probaly be changing planes in New York or perhaps Atlanta and then flying to orlando where I will meet her and I know she will have to go through the immigration authorites-  I am concerned that I help her as much as possible with it so I would like to know when does she go through it??  thanks
Keith
apk
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Does fiance get checked at the firstairp..., posted by keith on Oct 4, 2001

There is a new POE requirement due to the terrorist problem.
I bought tickets for my fiance and son from Moscow to San Francisco with a Seattle stop to let off passengers and then go through passport control and customs upon arrival in San Francisco. This was the same flight I have used for 3 trips from Moscow.

Well, during flight last friday they decided to change the rules! Her arrival in San Francisco was 2 hours late because they decided to use Seattle as the POE.

It was explained to me by Aeroflot officials that customs want all flights to be searched upon arrival into USA, and make all passengers go through POE and passport check at first airport inside USA.

The good news was that since she went through POE in Seattle it was very smooth and short lines.

richardd
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Does fiance get checked at the firstairp..., posted by keith on Oct 4, 2001

does anyone have experience with Miami as a Port of Entry?  It's an easy connection from Kiev though Amsterdam on Northwest.

From my experience, as an American it's an easy place to clear customs.

Dan
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Keith,

In your case, her first experience with our Customs and INS departments will be at the first airport when she enters America - in your case, New York or Atlanta. Having entered the country through both of those POE's, I would strongly encourage you to arrange her flight schedule so that she enters through Atlanta - especially if she has little command of English or has had little experience with international travel.

New York's JFK airport can be a difficult experience - even for veteran Americans. Terminals between her incoming international flight and her outbound domestic flight can de long distances apart and requiring her to lug her baggage a long way. I can imagine it would be quite unnerving to someone that is not the least bit familiar with America to be trying to find their way to another terminal - sometimes having to leave the interior of one terminal bound for another on foot and with a bunch of luggage in tow.

Atlanta, on the other hand, is connected visa underground train to all the terminals, and instructions are provided in multiple languages (including Russian, IIRC). The agents in Atlanta (generally-speaking, of course) do not have the sort of NY attitude that can be put-offish at times, and the facilities at the airport are much more fresh and clean.

All-in-all, I'd sure suggest you try to have her come in through Atlanta (as contrasted to NYC-JFK).

Just my experience - FWIW.

- Dan

jj
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Port of Entry (POE) . . ., posted by Dan on Oct 4, 2001

You may like to arrange to meet her at the POE destination and join her on her final domestic leg.

Oatmeal
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Port of Entry (POE) . . ., posted by Dan on Oct 4, 2001

I'll bear this in mind when my girl comes to the USA.  BTW Do you have any experience with O'Hara airport in Chicago as a POE or do you know of anyone who has had related experience.
Again thanks for the input.  Jim
KenC
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Good info.  Thanks for the tip., posted by Oatmeal on Oct 4, 2001

Jim,
I met my wife's plane from Moscow in Chicago.  She had no problems at all.  There is a huge (and nice) waiting area for incoming international flights.  Best of luck.
KenC
Dan
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Good info.  Thanks for the tip., posted by Oatmeal on Oct 4, 2001

Jim,

The POE's that I prefer (East coast USA) are:

Orlando
Cincinnati
Atlanta
Washington (Dulles)

In that order.

Yes, I have come through Chicago also, and I found it OK - though not as convenient as these others. I doubt that Orlando has too many incoming flights these days, though Delta (from Frankfurt) and Virgin Atlantic (from London-Gatwick) used to fly directly into Orlando. Cincinnati and Atlanta are Delta POE's, and Washington is a United POE.

I absolutely do NOT like the busy (and older) NE airports such as Newark or NYC-JFK.

I hope this helps.

- Dan

keith
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Favorite POE's . . ., posted by Dan on Oct 4, 2001

Thanks everyone... good advice. We dont have her interview date set yet but we have done everything else  I have been faxing warsaw and emailing and tried calling but cant get through anyway... she had her medical exam today... and I look forward to hearing from her how it went... it was a bit of a bus ride for her to Kiev... im not yet to the point of buying airline tickets but i have been inquiring... I did talk to a travel agent that said she might be able to find a flight that goes from warsaw to london or amsterdam ( sorry for spelling - long day) and then to orlando- it sounds great and the price seem great- I didnt get to the point of asking which airlines was involved... like I said we dont have the interview date yet so not ready to buy the ticket or tickets..  the latest news about a plane going down in the black sea - has done nothing to soothe my anxious feelings that I want to get her here as soon as possible.. sorry for rambling... once again thanks dan, and everyone for the input.
Keith
jj
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Visa are normally checked at the first port of call.  IE where you disembark from the international airport.  Are the other flights internal or international in wich case she will not exit the international airport but will remain within the transit area.

In some cases you enter America at one destination where you visa is checked then you have to catch a domestic airline to your other destinations.  Check with your travel agent.  They can advise you where the point of entry is.  If she has a valid visa there should be no problem.  Most Airports have personal that can assist in translations.

Sdaly you can not meet her inside the controlled imogration zone unless you are traveling with her.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: