Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 29, 2024, 10:23:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with police in Moscow  (Read 4150 times)
Cold Warrior
« on: October 06, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Taken from the Moscow Times

Editor,

I am a Moscow-based lawyer and am looking forward to radical police reform in Russia aimed at establishing confidence in the police on the part of ordinary people. Without such confidence, any fight with terrorism would be a bluff. Below is my advice for people if stopped by the police who want to check their documents.

1. Before handing over your passport to the police, ask them to show their IDs: It is their duty to show IDs on request. Write down the names of the police into your notebook; if you are not familiar with Cyrillic characters, write down the serial numbers of the IDs. If the police ask you why you need their ID data, you can answer that "just in case something goes wrong you'll call the internal security division of the Interior Ministry" (the phone number of which, by the way, is 237-7585; another useful phone is the reception desk of the ministry, 222-6669). In case the police refuse to show their IDs, stop communicating with them, claiming they are "unknown persons in police uniform."

2. Speaking loudly and drawing public attention may work as well but it's not for everyone. Instead, you can be polite but firm in your confidence that you did not violate any Russian law and communicate this message clearly to the police several times during the encounter. Even if you do not have any documents with you, you still do not violate any law in this country. To my knowledge, Russian street police have no right to impose fines on pedestrians for violation of passport rules; it is the competence of at least the deputy head of the district police department.

3. Do not show any sign of impatience to the police, it will work against you. Instead, show that you have plenty of time for them and you will be delighted to go to the police station if needed (under the pretext that "they will for sure know that I'm right"). There is little chance, however, that the police would really take you to the police station, but if they do, refuse to talk without a representative from your consulate, even on the weekends.

4. If you are working in Moscow, it is useful to know that you are not under obligation to carry your work permit with you; instead, it should be with your employer. You may still want to carry a photocopy of it together with your passport and visa. Again, fines for violation of work permit rules are imposed by the officials of the Moscow Migration Committee and not by street police, so turn down any attempt to make you pay on this ground.

I hope this will be of help to somebody.

Valery Yakushev
Moscow

jj
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Dealing with police in Moscow, posted by Cold Warrior on Oct 6, 2001

Any advice and numbers for same in Ukraine?
Cold Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Dealing with police in Ukraine?, posted by jj on Oct 7, 2001

Ministry of Internal Affairs
252024 Kiev Ukraine
10 Bohomolets Street
Tel: 380-44-226-3317, 291-3333
Fax: 380-44-291-3182

Ministry of Justice
252030 Kiev Ukraine
vu. M. Kotsiubynskoho 12
Tel: 380-44-226-2416

Consular Section
U.S. Embassy to Ukraine
vul. Mykoly Pymonenka 6
Kiev 01901 Ukraine.
Tel: [380] (44) 490 4422. Fax: [380] (44) 236-4892.

24-hour Emergency calls (for emergencies involving American citizens only)
[380] (44) 490-4000.

Operator assistance
French..............8-191
English.............8-192
German..............8-193
Ukrainian/Russian...8-194
Spanish.............8-195

Oatmeal
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Dealing with police in Ukraine?, posted by jj on Oct 7, 2001

I had a couple of encounters with the police in Kiev and Odessa this past summer.  I posted about this back in July.  The best policy is that if you are not doing anything wrong and know you are in the right then don't let them bully you around.  Be polite but hold your ground. About 5 of them tried to get me to go off to their police station with them on the Metro late at night but I told them "NO, I could not do that" as I knew that the Metro stations were closed at that time of night.  I knew they were just looking for someone they could take advantage of and take some of my hard earned cash.
 Eventually they saw that I was not going to be very cooperative with them and they finally gave up.  I don't think that generally speaking you would have too much to worry about, just make sure to keep your passport and papers with you everywhere.  Also it might not be a bad idea to keep a ukrainian person as company if your going out late at night.  I personally don't feel that threatened and I am a bit more adventurous so I don't feel paranoid about going out but I do like to make sure that I know what I can and can't get away with.
Good luck, Jim
KenC
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Dealing with police in Moscow, posted by Cold Warrior on Oct 6, 2001

n/t
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: