Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 27, 2024, 05:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BAQ/Colombian Wedding Misc.  (Read 10143 times)
Looking4Wife
« on: December 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Gary Bala, et. al.

I am interested in resources and pricing/price checks on a few items:

1.  Embassy Approved Translators

Michael Taboada has quoted my novia $200,000 pesos for translating my documents.  This seems reasonable.

Micahel Taboada has quoted my novia $800,000 pesos for ONE HOUR translating for a wedding.  This does NOT seem reasonable.

Does anyone know of any other Embassy Approved Translators in BAQ who might do wedding translating at a better rate?

There's no requirement that says the same Approved Translator that translates the documents must translate at the wedding ceremony is there?

Can anyone share what their experience and costs have been in this area, even if it was in another Colombian city?

2.  Videographers and Photographers?

Does anyone know of any video tape professionals and/or photographers in Barranquilla?

Can anyone share what their experience and costs have been in this area, even if it was in another Colombian city?

Gracias

Looking4Wife
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to BAQ/Colombian Wedding Misc., posted by Looking4Wife on Dec 18, 2005

"Micahel Taboada has quoted my novia $800,000 pesos for ONE HOUR translating for a wedding. This does NOT seem reasonable."

This was a mistake on my part... the comma (or punto) should have been one digit to the left...

The correct cost is only $80,000 pesos for one hour translation to appear at the wedding.

Gary Bala
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to BAQ/Colombian Wedding Misc., posted by Looking4Wife on Dec 18, 2005

If you are going to address more questions to me, I would appreciate it if you would just call me. (I think you did so once.)
Craig
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

$15-20 AN HOUR is reasonable but considering the event I would give him no more then $50 US for the event, a little more then 115000 pesos. He's stealing your shorts friend. You need to do a little more research...what's troubling for me is that you were not sure if you where getting ripped off...Don't be a tomato ripe for the picking
Looking4Wife
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: BAQ/Colombian Wedding Misc., posted by Craig on Dec 18, 2005

Craig, Muchas Gracias for your info and feedback.  You gave me some specific, potentially helpful information.

What are you basing your data on?  Did you have a Colombian wedding where you had to hire and approved translator?

In addition...

"You need to do a little more research..."

That is what I am doing, and that's why I am asking the questions.

"Don't be a tomato ripe for the picking"

This is precisely what I am trying to avoid.  Again, that's why I'm doing the research and asking the questions.

"what's troubling for me is that you were not sure if you where getting ripped off"

Unfortunately, all of us approach "new and unknown" situations with a certain lack of information that is "new and unknown" to us. Every expert starts out by learning the basics.  Once upon a time, Tiger Woods didn't know a driver from a putter... I'm just trying to learn man, don't be so hard on me :-)

Clearly I had a sense that the cost for the translator to attend the wedding was exhorbitant, which is why I inquired on the board.

If you, and/or others, could give me some addtional info on what your figures are based on (i.e. actual experience), approved translation contacts (who you used), or where I might go to find this info, it would ge greatly appreciated.

Gracias

Craig
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: BAQ/Colombian Wedding Misc., posted by Looking4Wife on Dec 18, 2005

No problem... sorry so hard on you I wanted to get your attention.... Colombian's who work make an average of about $170 a month. so use that as a guide. Translators in Cali make like 5 bucks an hour teaching in schools. But this is a private event. So you want to make it worth his/her while in case the event goes over an hour. If I were you I'd offer 50 bucks for the event forget the hour. An honest person will jump all over that.
utopiacowboy
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: BAQ/Colombian Wedding Misc., posted by Looking4Wife on Dec 18, 2005

Why do you need to hire a translator for your wedding? I had both a civil as well as a Catholic wedding and we did not need or have any translators.
Kiltboy1
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

When i got married in cali, i had a wedding for 40 people, open bar, full sit down dinner, photo album, notery , flowers, and honeymoon suite with Limo for 1300 US
Looking4Wife
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: BAQ/Colombian Wedding Misc., posted by Kiltboy1 on Dec 18, 2005

Kiltboy, did you have an Approved Translator at your wedding?

If so, how much did the translator charge?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: