Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 04, 2024, 10:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: confusion with AOS  (Read 4290 times)
gmark
« on: January 07, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I have read somewhere that once the spousal visa is approved, and passport all stamped at POE, they are now considered an unconditional permanent resident, and can apply for citizenship in 3 years.  Another booklet says that they have to apply for the adjustment of status, and have the 2 year conditional residency, and must submit forms in case they want to leave the country for a trip, just like the K-1 visas.  Please tell me the truth in this matter. What status is a spouse upon arriving in the US, and when do they get the green card.  Thanks.
Ray
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to confusion with AOS, posted by gmark on Jan 7, 2002

It depends on how long they have been married upon arrival in the US.

Less than 2 years = conditional green card good for 2 years

2+ years = permanent card

Either way, she would usually automatically receive a green card within a few weeks after entry.

Ray

gmark
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: confusion with AOS, posted by Ray on Jan 7, 2002

So does the immigrant (spousal visa) still have to file the I-485 for adjustment of status after arriving in the US?  And do they still have to undergo an INS interview and medical exam for the adjustment of status?  Thanks
Ray
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to still confused with AOS, posted by gmark on Jan 8, 2002

The spouse arrives in the US as a legal permanent resident so there is no adjustment of status involved.

(Of course, the new law will probably change all this anyway)

Ray

gmark
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: still confused with AOS, posted by Ray on Jan 8, 2002

That is what I thought, but I had purchased one of those spousal visa immigration packets from US-immigration, and had forms and instructions to fill out I-485 upon arrival in US.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: