Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 29, 2024, 05:19:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are The Times Changing?  (Read 4074 times)
FanMan
« on: September 23, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by FanMan]

I wonder what you fellas think about this NY Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/college/coll20women.html

Brazilophile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Are The Times Changing?, posted by FanMan on Sep 23, 2005

I read that article and the 11 (!) letters to editor that followed the next day.

The letter writers made several excellent points.  A few are

1) These brilliant future Ivy league graduates are buying into the 50's stereotype of the MAN as the primary breadwinner for the family and as the secondary parent.  Women's Lib has gone retro.

2) These brilliant future Ivy league graduates are assuming that there will be men available to them who want them as wives, who want children, and who are financially able to support a non-working wife and their children.  The reality is that 50% of marriages end in divorce and the majority of US families need 2 incomes to support their families.

3)  What does it say about our country when the opinions of 19 year olds make the front page of a major newspaper?

On this last point, we have often said on this list, Teoblas most recently, that women don't soldify their opinions and marital desires until they are in their mid-20's.

Heat
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Are The Times Changing?, posted by Brazilophile on Sep 23, 2005

1) These brilliant future Ivy league graduates are buying into the 50's stereotype of the MAN as the primary breadwinner for the family""

It's not a stereotype it's real.

If you want it to work it had better be that way.

Once women have the power in a relationship (money) the vast majority cannot handle it and become abusive and nasty.

The man must have the economic advantage in the marriage or he is screwed.

OkieMan
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Are The Times Changing?, posted by Heat on Sep 23, 2005

Heat,

I am sure that to the "informed" women's lib types, we would sound like dinosaurs; but I completely agree with you.  Having said that, a person (man or woman) must be basically emotionally stable as well.  Unfortunately, to my great regret, that was the problems with my 2 marriages to AW.  Both women had many great qualities.  But, when push came to shove, they bailed because of their lack of commitment to our marriage.  They were both totally different in most respects.  My first wife was a "stay at home" mom.  We had 3 sons together, and I fully intended to stay married to her for the rest of my life.  But, after 10 years of marriage, she went totally weird (too long to go into here); and she started cheating on me!
So, even though we had some things worked out, her instability emotionally finally came out.  I would not have thought it possible in the beginning.  Well, enough of old news, but you get the point.  So, right now, I am working on a new way to begin a "Vulcan mind meld" with the entire female population of Colombia!! ha  Any suggestions?  ha  Take care.

OkieMan

A1A
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Are The Times Changing?, posted by OkieMan on Sep 23, 2005

Okie,

When you have learned enough spanish to go an entire week in Colombia without a word of english, you will be ready for your Vulcan mind meld, otherwise the girls won't know WTF you are thinking about.  Study on.

OkieMan
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Your Vulcan mindmeld..., posted by A1A on Sep 24, 2005

A1A,

Excellent point.  So, how did you start out?  Were you already fluent in spanish, or did you have to study to learn it?  What is your ethnic and cultural background?
I am just a plain old ordinary, middle-class white, anglo-saxon guy from Oklahoma.  Having said that, I am well educated and well travelled.  I have been to around 10+ foreign countries, and most of the 50 States (excluding Hawaii and Alaska). My problem is that I don't speak spanish, and at my age, it is difficult to just pick it up.  But, I am working on it, bit by bit.  Having said that, I was naturally teasing about the Vulcan mind meld!!  Sorry, no pointy ears here! ha  But, seriously, I want to learn more about these girls; but most of the time, it seems like that is a one way street.  Meaning that I am not necessarily convinced that the latinas spend very much time thinking about us (gringos), or trying to learn more about us.  A few, yes.  So, it seems that the baloney about coming down to Latin America and meeting young, beautiful ladies, (who are eager to meet you), is, for the most part, not accurate!  I must admit, that at this point, I am somewhat cynical about how much the latinas have any serious desire to meet me, or gringos like me.  I think I am a nice middle-aged guy.  I am  most certainly not an uncouth fat slob with bad manners.  But, I must admit, I don't understand the subtlties(?) of the latin culture.  So, that is one of my goals-- that and trying to learn at least some more spanish.  Time will tell.

OkieMan

utopiacowboy
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Your Vulcan mindmeld..., posted by OkieMan on Sep 24, 2005

I think there are a lot of Colombianas that would be happy to meet you, Okieman. I think if you paid Pablo a visit, you would encounter some paisas who would be happy to spend some time with you. In the meantime, you could brush up on your Spanish by getting a few correspondents and practicing with them. This is basically how I learned Spanish. Plus it costs almost nothing.
OkieMan
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to I disagree, posted by utopiacowboy on Sep 24, 2005

UC,

You have many good ideas, and I certainly want to go to Medellin.  Pablo has extended the invitation, and as soon as I can, I plan to go.

stevjulietb
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Are The Times Changing?, posted by FanMan on Sep 23, 2005

I've been a teacher for 27 years. In regards to the moms that stay at home, you can see a huge difference in their kids. HUGE!

Steveb

Beattledog
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Are The Times Changing?, posted by stevjulietb on Sep 23, 2005

I agree with you

beattledog

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: