Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 28, 2024, 05:08:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from Houston  (Read 2712 times)
CelticUrge
« on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Greetings Everyone from Houston

I have been absent a while. Business trip to Orlando then visiting and assisting my family in North Palm Beach, in the Palm Beach area. Actually made the trip with no laptop for the first time ever. Found that relaxing but there were several times that this caused me a problem with business. It has taken me several days to catch up on reading some of the posts.

My dad (76) has advanced Alzheimer's and mom (71) has had declining health last several years. She had heart attack almost two years ago and almost did not make it. Dad had arteries cleared almost one year ago. Doctor was not in the opinion that need was imminent, however, after the operation, he told me that dad probably would not have lived another week without the proceedure. It was worse that he diagnosed. I am a bit sensitive to these issues. I am the oldest of four kids. My sister died when she was 8, I was 9. Misdiagnosis from the start, doctor thought it was influenza. She complained of pain  (she never complained about anything, anytime according to mom) and died three days later from menengitis. Doctor did not call the Hospital for results of diagnosis. Lived in Clearwater at the time. My dad did the right thing and moved the family as soon as possible.

Anyway, my youngest brother lives in the area, Jupiter, and takes care of my parents for the most part. Middle brother, his wife, and two sons, 22 and 25, never lift a finger to assist. They say "call me if you need anything" and my mom refuses to call and ask for help since, in her opinion, it is obvious they need relatively consistent assistance. If they can't see the obvious need she won't ask. So any chance I get I head out to give my youngest brother a week or two off from his responsibilities. He does not complain and knows that if I am needed I will be there as soon as drive time or flight schedule allows.

Family went through three hurricanes last year. Lost the roof of my parents home in one storm. It has been replaced since then but the family room roof scheduled to be replaced this October. First storm, no electricity, water or phone for 5 days in parents home and both brothers out for 9-10 days. Both had generators they used at night.

So, there I was in south Florida, left there Wednesday and returned to Houston. I knew that it was too late to evacuate and made no effort at all to try. IMO, that would have been a poor choice. If you don't get out early, it's worse to even try. As ylou ca see from the news reports, moving a vast number of people on several freeways in several directions just does not work efficiently. I would never be caught in a vehicle in a hurricane. That's just too risky. Also, it is obvious that if you don't get out very early, there may not be anywhere for you to go, all hotels full, or booked, etc. I did have the time to secure my residence and prepare for what I assumed would be a very bad hurricane, including loss of electricity, for some extended period of time. Having been through many before, I know how to prepare and what to expect. If you are not in a flood zone (very big and important IF) then riding it out can be a viable option, although not a pleasant one. Several friends crashed on couch and floor overnight. We have food, water, supplies, gasoline, etc.

I live on the west side of Houston, approx. 18 miles from downtown, south of I-10 and west of the beltway. The damage here is minimal, loss of some branches, several fences down in the neighborhood, etc. No loss of power, although the lights have flickered several times this morning and my home office UPS (uninteruptable power supply) has been activated several times. There are apparently many other sections of town without power. One news program said 575,000 people without power this morning. Just received call from neighbors that went to Fulshear, approx. 20-25 miles west of here. They are without power. Like the quote from Jack Nicholson in "Mars Attacks" where he said "...we still have two branches of government. Two out of three ain't bad."

I know there are several other forum guys from Houston. Perhaps we'll hear from them soon.

The people in the path of the eye are really slammed and hurt. Cities of Lake Charles, Cameron, Vidor, Orange, Beaumont, Port Arthur, etc. were hit very hard. Not to mention the levee breaches again in New Orleans.

Shit happens.

Beattledog
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Greetings from Houston, posted by CelticUrge on Sep 24, 2005

glad that everyone is fine

beattledog

OkieMan
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Greetings from Houston, posted by CelticUrge on Sep 24, 2005

Hola CelticUrge,

I am glad that you are safe and doing well.  I am touched by your story concerning your parents and other family members.  It is interesting. You and I are both the same age.  We are also both the oldest of 4.  I lived in Conroe, back in the late 60's, and my dad and I did a ton of construction work (drywall) in and around the Houston area. Plus, in those days, we took family vacations to go see friends in Texas City, and go fishing in Galveston.  Many pleasant memories.  I have been to Houston a few times over the last several years.  In fact, I went through the airport on my way to Colombia in May.  As far as this Hurricane Rita business, it is very fortunate that Houston did not get clobbered by the storm.  My step-daughters' best friend and her family live in Houston, but they are staying at my daughter's house here in the Tulsa area until this storm clears up.  Usually, my daughter is down there with them, but now it's the reverse.  I also have a brother-in-law who has a brother that lives in Orange, Tx.  He owns a transmission shop down there.  My sister sent me an email this morning, and told me that Don stayed down there to prevent vandalism on his shop; but he sent his wife and sons back up here to Oklahoma.  It's really interesting how I have friends and family who are native Okies, but many live or have lived in Texas.  I also have an uncle who was a cop in Dallas for around 35 years; but he is now retired. There are many close ties to our big neighbor to the south.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.  God Bless.
                                 OkieMan

Brazilophile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Greetings from Houston, posted by OkieMan on Sep 24, 2005

I am also glad that CU is alive and well.

OKM, Can you keep the list posted on how Oklahoma fares over the week-end?  The forecast is for the hurricane, now storm, to stop over Oklahoma and Arkansas and just drop rain for 2-3 days causing flooding in those 2 states as well as northern Louisiana.

OkieMan
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Greetings from Houston, posted by Brazilophile on Sep 24, 2005

Brazilophile,

As it stands right now, we are not supposed to be getting much rain from that storm. Our weathermen are saying there is a high pressure front that is supposed to keep the rain south of us.  I am in the Tulsa area, and we have many folks from Texas up here with us now.  My step-daughter's best friend and her family are visiting here now, due to the storm.  But, we are all fine.  I have been mowing my grass all day, and it has been getting cloudy and overcast all day.  But, unless the forecast changes we are in great shape. Now Arkansas and some other States might very well be affected.  Take care.

OkieMan

Brazilophile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Greetings from Houston, posted by OkieMan on Sep 24, 2005

I am also glad that CU is alive and well.

OKM, Can you keep the list posted on how Oklahoma fares over the week-end?  The forecast is for the hurricane, now storm, to stop over Oklahoma and Arkansas and just drop rain for 2-3 days causing flooding in those 2 states as well as northern Louisiana.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: