It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Another Attack, Sheesh!  (Read 5805 times)

Offline buencamino3

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Another Attack, Sheesh!
« on: December 22, 2016, 03:25:28 PM »
My girlfriend (avatar) told me she was walking in Barrio San Antonio in Cali last week with her younger cousin (he's 19) when a guy came up behind her, put his arm around her neck with one hand and put a very long knife to her throat with the other. He tried to kick one of her legs out from under but she did the same back to him. Finally she wrenched his arm from her neck and got hold of the knife. All this on her own because the young cousin was afraid to intervine. After getting the knife from him the guy took off running. She had a cut on her finger but discovered her shoe was full of blood so in the turmoil the guy must have gotten pretty well cut himself since it wasn't hers. She took the knife home. She's a gym enthusiast and does major weights with her legs. Trying to kick her legs out from under her was a very bad idea.
Hermosamente feliz

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Another Attack, Sheesh!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 06:34:54 PM »
Sobering report. Glad the three of you are going to be around for Christmas this year. My, the things we sometimes take for granted.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 08:10:56 PM »
More and more women these days are obsessed with doing squats and working out their legs.  I know this one girl who's 5'2 130 lbs and she works out with 225 lbs on squats.  I know plenty of grown men who can't squat 225 lbs.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 08:10:56 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 05:39:57 AM »
she must have reall though here cel phone or whatever she was carrying was worth her life. luck[/size]y[/color]  i would sa[/size]ay[/color]

Offline cdr1974

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 09:40:53 AM »
Very very silly girl..  Risked her life for the sake of her bag or mobile.  Ok,  she got away with it this time.  But why the hell risk your life for a couple hundreds of $ worth of stuff  :-X

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »
The reason is they are Colombians. From our perspective they are constantly behaving in a way that makes no sense to us. Like challenging armed robbers to protect a few dollars. My wife did this on a bus which was hijacked by the FARC back when she lived in Medellin. And for what? So she could say that she didn't give them the pathetic amount of money she had in her purse!

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law visited for a frigging month just recently. I joked that I was being held hostage and needed a swat team to take them down. The most exasperating thing is they don't eat our food, they don't do or see anything, they are not interested in anything that doesn't revolve around Colombia. They just come here to shop and lug a bunch of crap back to Colombia.

It was telling that when we hiked to Ciudad Perdida among the hundreds of people trekking on the four and five day hikes, we only met a handful of Colombians. They just don't care about nature or seeing anything that requires any effort whatsoever. Americans are bad but Colombians are ten times worse.

Even at the freaking airport, my sister-in-law insists on speaking Spanish to the airline representative. I told her, she doesn't understand Spanish so what does she do? Continues speaking Spanish! I wanted to tell her to STFU.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
Very very silly girl..  Risked her life for the sake of her bag or mobile.  Ok,  she got away with it this time.  But why the hell risk your life for a couple hundreds of $ worth of stuff  :-X

I agree. She is lucky to be alive.

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »
The reason is they are Colombians. From our perspective they are constantly behaving in a way that makes no sense to us. Like challenging armed robbers to protect a few dollars. My wife did this on a bus which was hijacked by the FARC back when she lived in Medellin. And for what? So she could say that she didn't give them the pathetic amount of money she had in her purse!

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law visited for a frigging month just recently. I joked that I was being held hostage and needed a swat team to take them down. The most exasperating thing is they don't eat our food, they don't do or see anything, they are not interested in anything that doesn't revolve around Colombia. They just come here to shop and lug a bunch of crap back to Colombia.

It was telling that when we hiked to Ciudad Perdida among the hundreds of people trekking on the four and five day hikes, we only met a handful of Colombians. They just don't care about nature or seeing anything that requires any effort whatsoever. Americans are bad but Colombians are ten times worse.

Even at the freaking airport, my sister-in-law insists on speaking Spanish to the airline representative. I told her, she doesn't understand Spanish so what does she do? Continues speaking Spanish! I wanted to tell her to STFU.

Damn UT

You need a vacation from your wife's families vacation.

I'm glad my In-Laws embrace our culture when they visit and try to learn English and our customs, especially going to the many wineries we have near our home. My father-In-Law love that one . :D
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline Awesome

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »

Did they care to take in any of the Mexican/Tex Mex culture of San Antonio?  I'd think they would've liked to visit one of the great and authentic Mexican restaurants San Antonio has to offer.

From what I've seen in Colombia, Colombians seem to celebrate Mexican culture especially the food and the music.

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
Girlfriend got robbed in Medellin yesterday. They didn't get much from her. They took her purse that had a watch in it that she was taking to get the wristband sized (maybe worth a 100 bucks) and some make up.

She keeps her  Iphone 7 stuffed down the front of her pants when she is on the street along with her money and cedula so the robbers didn't get much from her. But they took her girlfriend's Moto that they were riding.

I talked to her on Whatsapp shortly after the robbery and she was bawling her eyes out and she didn't lose hardly anything compared to her friend that lost her Moto.....that chick must have been hysterical.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »

Jaja. Reminds me of my wife's first year here. She was paying for groceries and started talking to the blonde blue eyed gringa cashier in Spanish. The look the gringa gave her was priceless... She's come a long way with her English since then... One of her Barranquilla friends visited recently with her gringo husband who at her insistence speaks to her in Spanish...Best thing I ever did for my wife's English was start speaking only English to her. That was advice I got from Whitey and Kiltboy on this board and it's worked...

Offline cdr1974

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »
Girlfriend got robbed in Medellin yesterday. They didn't get much from her. They took her purse that had a watch in it that she was taking to get the wristband sized (maybe worth a 100 bucks) and some make up.

She keeps her  Iphone 7 stuffed down the front of her pants when she is on the street along with her money and cedula so the robbers didn't get much from her. But they took her girlfriend's Moto that they were riding.

I talked to her on Whatsapp shortly after the robbery and she was bawling her eyes out and she didn't lose hardly anything compared to her friend that lost her Moto.....that chick must have been hysterical.

Walking around with an IPhone 7. Even if stuffed down her pants is a big NO NO. You didn't buy her that by any chance lol ::) Just, not many Colombians can afford an iPhone 4 let alone a 7

Offline fathertime

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »

Sad these young ladies were victimized like that.  I'm glad nobody got hurt though.   I guess part of being a woman in South America, is to have to keep your guard up very high at all times, on a couple different fronts actually.

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »

Offline Awesome

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
Walking around with an IPhone 7. Even if stuffed down her pants is a big NO NO. You didn't buy her that by any chance lol ::) Just, not many Colombians can afford an iPhone 4 let alone a 7

Why is it a big no no?  I see people with expensive cell phones all the time in Colombia, and I don't see anybody being particularly careful.  People pull out their iphones and samsung galaxys all the time in public like it's no big deal.

How did you become such an expert on what's a "big no no" and what phones Colombians can afford cdr?

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
Sad these young ladies were victimized like that.  I'm glad nobody got hurt though.   I guess part of being a woman in South America, is to have to keep your guard up very high at all times, on a couple different fronts actually.

Fathertime!

I wish I had the "third eye" these girls have. They spot "suspicious", "malo" instantly most of the time when I'm thinking everything is copacetic. I guess if I grew up in their environment I'd have the same instincts.I'm very bad at noticing people which is certainly very dangerous here. It's funny though and I think I posted this before, in my fifteen years living full time in Colombia I've had only two really close calls and neither resulted from bad guys. The first was when I ran into a fallen tree in the San Cipriano river and got lodged underwater until I could pull myself up to air and the second when I was in a cave in Chocó and found myself sitting one meter away from a Chocoan Bushmaster, the most venomous snake in Colombia. But I'm the exception as every other gringo I know here has had something happen, a mugging etc. I'm going to take just a moment here to knock on wood!
Hermosamente feliz

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 08:49:07 PM »

I wish I had the "third eye" these girls have. They spot "suspicious", "malo" instantly most of the time when I'm thinking everything is copacetic. I guess if I grew up in their environment I'd have the same instincts.I'm very bad at noticing people which is certainly very dangerous here. It's funny though and I think I posted this before, in my fifteen years living full time in Colombia I've had only two really close calls and neither resulted from bad guys. The first was when I ran into a fallen tree in the San Cipriano river and got lodged underwater until I could pull myself up to air and the second when I was in a cave in Chocó and found myself sitting one meter away from a Chocoan Bushmaster, the most venomous snake in Colombia. But I'm the exception as every other gringo I know here has had something happen, a mugging etc. I'm going to take just a moment here to knock on wood!
Man I hate snakes. How did you get away from that thing without getting bit?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »

No... but I was with her when she bought it....we had to go to three different stores as they were all sold out.

I don't know any Colombianos that own an Iphone 4....I'm sure their are plenty out there....just don't hang with that crowd.

https://www.emarketer.com/Article/Colombia-Samsung-Huawei-Conquer-Smartphone-Market/1012631

The number of smartphone users will rise to 24.3 million in Colombia in 2019, bringing the penetration rate of such devices up to 69.7% of all mobile phone users that year. -
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:40:42 PM by Calipro »

Offline cdr1974

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 08:08:40 AM »

No... but I was with her when she bought it....we had to go to three different stores as they were all sold out.

I don't know any Colombianos that own an Iphone 4....I'm sure their are plenty out there....just don't hang with that crowd.

https://www.emarketer.com/Article/Colombia-Samsung-Huawei-Conquer-Smartphone-Market/1012631

The number of smartphone users will rise to 24.3 million in Colombia in 2019, bringing the penetration rate of such devices up to 69.7% of all mobile phone users that year. -

Excactly. Smartphone users.

You can get a smart phone for about $100 down there. Where as Iphone7 are like $800 or more. I would hazard a guess. 90% of Colombians could not afford that simply for a smart phone.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »
Excactly. Smartphone users.

You can get a smart phone for about $100 down there. Where as Iphone7 are like $800 or more. I would hazard a guess. 90% of Colombians could not afford that simply for a smart phone.

according to July 2014 CIA World Factbook estimates. The country (Colombia) is also the third-largest smartphone market in the region, with 16.7 million users of the advanced mobile device in 2015, eMarketer estimates.

It doesn't say what two countries are ahead of Colombia in smart phone use....my guess would be Brazil and Argentina.

I would estimate that about 40 percent of Colombianos in Medellin have smart phones and about 70 percent of people between the ages of 18 and 38 have them. I have friends that make a very nice living importing used smart phones into Colombia....a used samsung smart phone goes for 300 mill an up.

Iphone only has about 10 percent of the market in Colombia and I bet they have sold millions of phones in Colombia.

I don't know where you hang out in Colombia or who you hang out with....but move up a  strata or two. Then maybe you won't have to warn women on the first date that you're not interested in gold diggers. jajaja

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:34:21 AM by Calipro »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »

Why is it a big no no?  I see people with expensive cell phones all the time in Colombia, and I don't see anybody being particularly careful.  People pull out their iphones and samsung galaxys all the time in public like it's no big deal.

How did you become such an expert on what's a "big no no" and what phones Colombians can afford cdr?

They like to show off with their fancy phones!  That's the real problem. 

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »

according to July 2014 CIA World Factbook estimates. The country (Colombia) is also the third-largest smartphone market in the region, with 16.7 million users of the advanced mobile device in 2015, eMarketer estimates.

It doesn't say what two countries are ahead of Colombia in smart phone use....my guess would be Brazil and Argentina.

Brazil & Mexico

https://www.emarketer.com/Article/Latin-America-Home-1559-Million-Smartphone-Users/1012794

Offline Dan Las Vegas

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 11:38:05 AM »
I was just in Bogota before Christmas and the iPhone 7plus was over a thousand dollars to purchase in Unicentro. That being said, I saw plenty of iphones in Bogota and always see them in Medellin as well along with plenty of Samsungs. 

Dan LV

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
The Chinese make some pretty impressive smart phones, with great specs, that will never be seen in the USA, but are popular in 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Sure Apple and Samsung have brand name appeal, but Huawei, Oppo, LeEco, OnePlus and Xiaomi outsell them big time overseas. Not a big name or a particularly great phone, but even in the USA, BLU smart phones are carving out a niche, as are carriers like Cricket, Turtle and lately even that pig Walmart's making a move on decent, less expensive phones on pay as you go plans.

What we pay for a not so different in terms of functionality smart phone compared to what many of them have is amazing. In the USA, we pay so much more for the cell phone initially and then huge monthly fees. I was paying over $4000 USD a year for four lines, till I negotiated a data package. So now we pay them $75 a month less, but can now call/text Canada and Mexico unlimited. Just can't watch Netflix all day using data.

I just got off the phone and basically told Direct TV that the the well ran dry, Grandma died, the dog got run over and their satellite dish cuts out during heavy rain and that they could cut off our internet, please. I explained that we have other 'options'. Try it sometime. They sent us straight to the 'Customer Retention Dept. and gave us HBO for free, and cut our bill $60 a month for twelve months--$720! That reminds, me--I need to call our internet service provider.....

So, now I can look at the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Professional and the Bulova Moonwatch my wife got me for Christmas (all she wanted was an Apple watch II in rose gold--frugal lady) and I don't feel so guilty!!!

There's a lot of things we pay much more for than other nation's do, including cable TV, internet, health care, pharmaceutical drugs, etc.

We even pay a lot more for those things than do European countries.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »

Offline Awesome

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
The Chinese make some pretty impressive smart phones, with great specs, that will never be seen in the USA, but are popular in 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Sure Apple and Samsung have brand name appeal, but Huawei, Oppo, LeEco, OnePlus and Xiaomi outsell them big time overseas. Not a big name or a particularly great phone, but even in the USA, BLU smart phones are carving out a niche, as are carriers like Cricket, Turtle and lately even that pig Walmart's making a move on decent, less expensive phones on pay as you go plans.

What we pay for a not so different in terms of functionality smart phone compared to what many of them have is amazing. In the USA, we pay so much more for the cell phone initially and then huge monthly fees. I was paying over $4000 USD a year for four lines, till I negotiated a data package. So now we pay them $75 a month less, but can now call/text Canada and Mexico unlimited. Just can't watch Netflix all day using data.

I just got off the phone and basically told Direct TV that the the well ran dry, Grandma died, the dog got run over and their satellite dish cuts out during heavy rain and that they could cut off our internet, please. I explained that we have other 'options'. Try it sometime. They sent us straight to the 'Customer Retention Dept. and gave us HBO for free, and cut our bill $60 a month for twelve months--$720! That reminds, me--I need to call our internet service provider.....

So, now I can look at the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Professional and the Bulova Moonwatch my wife got me for Christmas (all she wanted was an Apple watch II in rose gold--frugal lady) and I don't feel so guilty!!!

There's a lot of things we pay much more for than other nation's do, including cable TV, internet, health care, pharmaceutical drugs, etc.

We even pay a lot more for those things than do European countries.

I remember back in the aol dial up days I did the 90 day(or 60 day I don't remember exactly) free trial offer.  So after the 90 days was up I called to cancel and they offered me another free 90 days so I said sure why not.  Then I'd call each time to cancel when the trial period was over and every time they would give me a free extension.  I ended up getting a whole year of free internet, until I got tired of crappy aol.

My cheap 40 dollar smart phone I use in Colombia is from some brand called "Azumi".  It does everything I need it to do apps, internet, share internet to my laptop.  The only thing is any time I'd pull my phone out to exchange numbers or whatever it was kind of embarrassing being seen with a cheapy phone when all the Colombians and Venezuelans I met had much higher quality, more expensive phones than me.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 03:25:56 PM »

Where you have to watch it is in crowded places with lots of people, like El Centro late at night in isolated locations (where you shouldnt be walking alone at night anyway).

Just takes a bit of street smarts.

But still you dont want to be blatnat about it like the Colombians. They like to dar Papaya  a lot.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5878
Latest: Wileycauch
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 48