It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Rookie seeks advice  (Read 23847 times)

Offline JasonA

• Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Rookie seeks advice
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
Last night, I bought airline tickets to Bogota for early February. I hope that M and I hit it off, otherwise I am going to be hitting up some of the Yanks in Colombia to come hang out with me that week...    :P

Offline Deseo

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »
Last night, I bought airline tickets to Bogota for early February. I hope that M and I hit it off, otherwise I am going to be hitting up some of the Yanks in Colombia to come hang out with me that week...    :P

Congrats on booking the flight.  I hope you have a GREAT time with your lady.

However, IF the chemistry does NOT click in person, keep a few aces in your pocket:

1. Make some contacts via Colombian Cupid (or LAC) before you go, just in case.
2. Introductions by Consuelo is a legit marriage agency in Bogota (see link).
http://www.introductionsbyconsuelo.com/index3.html

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25:58 AM »

Or go to amigos.com or couchsurfing.com and make some local friends.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25:58 AM »

Offline whitey

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
My friend who introduced me to my wife met her on amigos.com ... you never know what can happen once you put yourself out there ...

Another great way to practice Spanish and make friends in Latin America is https://www.livemocha.com/

Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline vikingo

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »
Jason, to understand your travel plans, you will initially meet your bride to be in Bogotá and skip the island vacation or did you buy tickets to return with her to Bogotá after you meet her on a Caribbean island? Maybe I missed one of your posts...
Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Offline JasonA

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »
Well.........  the original plan was to meet at a neutral location mid January. I made those arrangements and then decided to go down to Bogota in early February also (in addition to Jan trip).

In recent developments, M was actually denied her travel visa due to quitting her job 2 weeks ago (it was a temporary job for her), so.........   We scrapped the original Jan plans and now I am going to Bogota. We are spending 2 days there. She is meeting me at the airport and I am staying in the business district. We are then flying out and spending 4 days on the islands off of Cartagena (her suggestion). Any input on these places?

I have had to listen to my mom and my best friend preach to me about safety concerns. I am trusting her and also trusting what you all have told me. I am excited though. I think it will be a great trip...    and you guys get your 'wish' on advising me to go down there on the first trip anyway...

Offline vikingo

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2012, 11:06:03 AM »
Let's see now, of the coast of Cartagena de Indias there is Isla de Baru.
Here is a video of the fisherman of Baru and his lovely daughters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYBa6gLPm8

Offline vikingo

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
Some pictures of Isla de Baru, let mi remind you Jason, Islands off Cartagena are not as exotic as San Andrés for which a Colombian citicen doesn't need a visa nor a passport, but she must have her reasons to avoid going there.

http://www.google.com.co/search?q=isla+de+baru+colombia&hl=es&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-B0PT53wEYuftweYwOj-AQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFAQsAQ&biw=1260&bih=837

Offline whitey

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »
Go to Cartagena for a day, then a 2 night/3 day resort stay at the Decameron on Isla Baru, 1 hour by boat from Cartagena.

http://www.decameron.com/

Another option that we really enjoyed near Cartagena was the Decameron resort on Isla Palma.  It's a 4 hour bus trip from Cartagena (bus is operated by Decameron).  I think they have shorter boat trips they run there during high season.  The info should be on the Decameron link above.

Offline V_Man

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »
We scrapped the original Jan plans and now I am going to Bogota. We are spending 2 days there. She is meeting me at the airport and I am staying in the business district. We are then flying out and spending 4 days on the islands off of Cartagena (her suggestion). Any input on these places?

Jason I did a similar thing 3 months ago.

Bogota is a city of 8 million people but she will meet you at the airport and ride with you in the taxi to help you check into the hotel. If she likes you she will stick to you like glue. She will make sure you hang around safer parts of the city. If she does take you to places that are a little risker she will make some comment to you.

If she does not stay in the hotel with you the first night, it is probably only for apperances sake. Don't read anything into it. You wont be in any doubt how she feels about you. If she wants to go home that first night, give her enough money to get a taxi home and back again in the morning. If you like musems then visit the gold musem in Bogota.

Taxis in Bogota are metered. Make sure they turn the meter on. The number displayed on the meter is compared to a chart on the back of the seat which determines the price.
The bus system is good as well but I imagine you will only use taxis.

The vast majority of people in Colombia are socialble, friendly and helpful. Even in busy Bogota.

Try to familarise yourself with the currency before you arrive. Keep large demoninations out of sight when in public areas - including in a taxi. To stay safe lock the doors when you get in the taxi. Locals don't bother but you are not a local. Keep expensive items like cell phones out of sight when on the street. Except that a camera is OK.
If you don't know the numbers in Spanish before you arrive then get her to teach you while you are there.

We are assuming that "... the islands off of Cartagena .." most likely means Baru.  It has a nice beach.

"(her suggestion)". Well she could have suggested San Andres which would have cost you much more. So in my view she is trying to save you money but also meet your wish to have a Carribean vaccation in a nice hotel. This is a very good sign I think.

You will fly to Cartegena from Bogota. Bogota is cold (2 layers of clothes). Cartegena is tropical. Dress accordingly. It's about a 1.5 hour flight. The airport is not far from the Old City which is where the ferry terminal is. Taxis are cheap but your girl should set the price with the driver before you get in the taxi in Cartegena.

The Old City in Cartegena is well policed and you will be safe there day and night. Walk around and enjoy it.

The ferry ride will be in a small boat and takes an hour.

You are probably staying at the Royal Decameron although it is not the only option it is by far the most likely for what you want. Check before you go to see if they have their own boat to take you to the hotel. I know that they will arrange transport to and from the airport for you and so that will be the easiest arrangement.

Otherwise you will get a small ferry from the ferry terminal to Isla Baru. You buy your ferry ticket then go into the dock area. Unfortunately then you have to wait in the heat until enough people buy tickets on your particular boat before it will leave. Like many things in Colombia, it is organised but very inefficent. Make sure the boat captain knows where you are staying because you do not want to get off at the public beach of you do not need to.

http://www.decameron.com/eng/colombia/decameron_baru/overview.html

If you want to explore the area then you will be getting a boat to somewhere. Or you may just want to kick back around the hotel and beach.

Will you have a final night in Bogota before you leave? If she introduces you to her friends and family then she is serious about you. Try to arrange an opportunity for her to do that.

If there was something else you wanted to know, just ask.

Offline Deseo

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
Great post & suggestions V_Man.   Have a great trip Jason. 

Offline stnmasn

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
Yes very nice post Vman....to me that is what this site is about....buena suerte Jason

Offline V_Man

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »
Thanks guys. These are the sort of details I would have liked before I went. I did do my homework. Although ultimately I just got on a plane and went with the flow.

I really can't stress how important that attitude was to my successful trip.
The second most important thing was Spanish. Some guys say they have no Spanish. I hope they do not mean that literally although I suspect some do.

Make sure you know how to say:
Hello, goodbye
Pleased to meet you
How are you?
I am well/sick/happy/sad
Good day/afternoon/night
Thank you, no thank you
Please
Yes, no
Pardon me
My name is ....
I am from ....
What is your name?
I want a taxi/a doctor/the police/food/a beer/water/coffee/a shower
Where is the bathroom/hotel/resturant/airport?
Left, right.
Here, there.
Hot, cold.
How much?
More, less.
Year, month, week, day, hour, minute.
Slowly, quickly
Please repeat
Engish, Spanish (language)
Man, woman, boy, girl, family
Meat, chicken, fish, vegetages, fruit, bread, rice, potatoe
How do you say......?
Cool!
Let's go!
I like Colombia/you
You are beautiful

There really is no excuse for a native English speaker failing to be able to say about 20 - 30 things in Spanish. If you can't, then get a phrase book or list from the internet and get on the CAM and get your girl to teach you. You could do it in a single weekend.

If you can't be bothered to learn 20 things in her language then what what does that say about you?
If you can say just the few things I listed above then it means the difference between not being able to commuicate and being able to communicate. The difference is huge. Not only that but Colombians love that you are making an effort to speak Spanish.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »

Offline JasonA

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
Thanks, V_Man.  Very much appreciate all of your input!

...and everyone else's too!

Offline JasonA

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2012, 07:51:17 AM »
Couple of questions:

* Should I plan on using card or cash? Do most places take plastic?

*Pay in Dollars or Colombian Pesos? Are there any safe places to exchange money? Doesn't sound like ATM machines are the safest place. Same with the currency exchange at the airport.

*People have mentioned not dressing up too much to avoid calling attention to yourself. What is considered too much?  I don't want to look like a street begger...    ;)

Thanks!  I am sure that I will have more questions over the next couple of days...

Offline whitey

« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »

You can use your credit card in the hotels, stores in malls, and some restaurants.  Fraud is fairly common down there, so only use it in places where you can watch what they are doing with your card.  In restaurants, that may mean walking your card up to the cashier instead of giving it to the waiter to disappear with.  This can be a bit of a hassle, so there are some restaurants I just don't bother and use cash instead.

Do not take cash down with you for conversion in Colombia.  Take your debit card, and withdraw the max you are allowed (it will give you pesos).  For some bank machines this is $300.000, on others $400.000, and I've heard you can sometimes get more, but I always go for $400.000 as a good compromise since I don't want to carry too much on me at one time.  Don't make small withdrawals as you will normally be charged around $US 5.00 for each transaction.

*Pay in Dollars or Colombian Pesos? Are there any safe places to exchange money? Doesn't sound like ATM machines are the safest place. Same with the currency exchange at the airport.

Don't pay dollars anywhere - not sure if anyone will take them (don't think so), but you won't get a good exchange rate.  ATM is no more/less safe than a currency exchange - use the ATM as per above.  Best method is to use one in a major mall, and plan your excursion so that you are wandering around the mall for at least a half hour or so, eat a meal, grab a coffee, buy some groceries/water, window shop, whatever.  I use this time to bore or identify anyone who may have targeted me, and to redistribute some cash to socks and/or underwear.

In 999 times out of 1000 this should be overkill, but it makes me feel better.  Never carry anything you are unwilling to give up right away without a struggle.  Life is cheap in Colombia, they shoot first and don't get caught, so it's just not worth trying to be a hero.

*People have mentioned not dressing up too much to avoid calling attention to yourself. What is considered too much?  I don't want to look like a street begger...    ;)

You'll get a lot of opinions on this one.  My advice is shorts/t-shirts/sandals only during the day and only in these places: poolside, on the beach, in Cartagena in the tourist sections, or in beach towns such as Santa Marta.  Nowhere else, and not at night. 

No white athletic shoes and leave the ball caps in your room unless you are walking around in the sun.

A nice pair of jeans (not baggy) and polo shirt is good during the day for most occasions.  You can dress up more at night for dinners and clubs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:20:18 PM by whitey »

Offline whitey

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »
Also, don't wear jewelry (especially gold), and bring a cheap watch.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
Couple of questions:

Thanks!  I am sure that I will have more questions over the next couple of days...
If you use an ATM at a bank in a mall you should haven't any security issues...

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
No Jewelry and not even a watch if you can get away with it. A plastic one if you must. No cell phone as they are a favorite for robbery. No Shorts .NO FLOWER MAGNUM PI SHIRTS PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline whitey

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »
No Jewelry and not even a watch if you can get away with it. A plastic one if you must. No cell phone as they are a favorite for robbery. No Shorts .NO FLOWER MAGNUM PI SHIRTS PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

KB

I have a cheap, black plastic sport watch that I wear on vacations.  After my first couple trips, my wife asked me why all the gringos seem to wear the same type of watches!

Although I hadn't worn my last few aloha shirts for many years, I was actually sad when I finally gave them to Goodwill this year.  The pink flowers on black was my favourite ... good times, good times ...

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
Couple of questions:

* Should I plan on using card

Jason, when bring credit card, make sure you let your bank know otherwise you might get declined.  It happened to me on my 3rd trip.  I brought 3 credit cards - 2 of them were declined, but the one that did not decline was a business credit card.

After that trip, I let my bank know and never get declined again.

Offline JasonA

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
Yeah, I called my credit card company. I also lowered my limit on the card too.

No phone? Crap. I rely on my iphone for EVERYTHING. Oh well, maybe I need to unplug...

Don't wear a watch or jewelry, so no problem there.

Question: If I shouldn't use the monetary exchange at the airport, how do I pay for the taxi to the hotel? Do the taxis take cards? Guess that I can ask M ahead of time to bring taxi money to the airport.

Heading out in a few days. Hopefully, you don't hear any Gringo horror stories in the news...   :P

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »
I've exchanged money at the airport both trips. In BAQ there were guys walking around eager to exchange my money. As long as you know the exchange rate they won't be able to rip you off (believe me they will try)....You need to exchange enough money to hold you over until you can get to a bank/atm...

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:53 AM »
Yeah, I called my credit card company. I also lowered my limit on the card too.

No phone? Crap. I rely on my iphone for EVERYTHING. Oh well, maybe I need to unplug...

Don't wear a watch or jewelry, so no problem there.

Question: If I shouldn't use the monetary exchange at the airport, how do I pay for the taxi to the hotel? Do the taxis take cards? Guess that I can ask M ahead of time to bring taxi money to the airport.

Heading out in a few days. Hopefully, you don't hear any Gringo horror stories in the news...   :P

I exchanged money from the airport and no, taxi drivers do not take cards.   You can exchange at Bogota airport as long as you have plenty of time. 

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
Jason

After the end of your 1st trip, do keep some of the money in time for your next trip if you are planning to go back again. 

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5878
Latest: Wileycauch
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 71