It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: It is a double edged sword  (Read 13045 times)

Offline JimD

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: Resident
Re: It is a double edged sword
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »
A friend of mine who dates women in the US reminded me of the age old philosophical question: If a man says something and there's no woman there to hear it is he still wrong?
Esposa y mosa vida hermosa

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »
Searcer - change starts one person at a time. If you can't join em, beat em!

You know I think there are more men that think that way than we believe. Its that they are afraid to say it....

Speak up and live!

I agree but things will probably never change until things are really bad. I think many men are afraid if they do speak up they will never get laid again.....poor saps!

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline V_Man

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »
The thing is we got sacks that most others don't. So that's our brotherhood. That is what binds us.

Look guys, as wonderful as you all are, I personally I don't want to be binded to your sacks. Just a personal preference, you understand. As much as I like kinky sex, we all have our comfort level. But hey! You guys go for it! Knock yourselves out!!
 ::)

-- Sorry, couldn't resist! P.S. Estoy de acuerdo.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »

Offline OrlandoGringo

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 01:15:36 AM »
"In South America, there is a sense of the unpredictable (which sometimes is not a positive, nevertheless, it is addictive).  There is a sexual energy in the air that is largely missing in the USA."

Exactly.

When you put opposites together things ignite. There is homoginization of roles and sexes in the US. Men are women and women are men. The sad thing is that they don't know it. They see it no other way because they have not been out of the country to see that in most of the world it still masculine and feminine roles.

Its all made to be predictable and establish control over the populace. Its made that way to create "Good Little Followers." Now you all follow that political correctnes!!" and heaven forbid you pull your womans hair or she scrathces you or bites you or you give her a good slap while you are mauling here during sex. If you do, you could see the sex police prosecuting you for uncontrolled sex! Leash that sex pilgrim! Where the hell you think you are. Colombia!

In Costa Rica the populace ignores the goverment. They just do not cooperate with it. Here come the good little american followers and follow the rules. Drives the locals crazy! The US is the land where civil disobedience was born. Now we are so nuetered that we allow our government and the people in it to "newt" enrich themselve, gorge off of the community coffers and we say nothing! Just follow follow follow...

The rich on TV like Shawn jack Ass Insanity perpetuate the satus quo so the pigs get fatter. But since the US is the land of the well trained Good Little Follower" its all so predictable that the staus quo and those in charge have no problem with maintaing thier fatness. Shooting ducks in a barrel. Just feed them more TV and we can make them in any image we want. Diluge them in marketing and make sure thatthey strive for the material to a point that they have no time to think, Just eat, work, sleep and repeat it. Creative thinking? Pondering what life is worth? Creating a self definition? They define you by indoctrination. There weapons, Kardasians, gays on TV, all the Hollywood values. Hell anythings goes as long as it does not physically injure anyone. Does not matter if it menatally or culturally cripples us! God? Forget about it. Dawn those panties men. Wear those pants women. Motherhood 0 fagetaboutit! Send those kids to datcare. Gotta make more money and mom has to find self fulfillment in the workplace so she can define herslf as a man does.

Barf on all of it, The US is perverted. I love my friends and family but its such a head f//k that I have really lost them.

They either envy or despise me in an undercover way. I am so far out living in Costa Rica, doing what i want when I want to, being as lazy as the Tico neighbor. Talking crap, chasing chicks, laughing with the guys, gossiping about the opposite sex. We live life here man. You guys just work. Do we have all the material crap you guys have (well I do kind off) but we really don't. I have a lot less than I could if i was in the US.

But why the hell would I trade my freedom, my free time to be lazy, my tico cohorts who are as happily worthless as I am, and all the fun BS that goes down here for what? a bigger TV? A newer car, designer clothes. Masculine women that think good men and worse yet an older man are worthless. By the time you guys maintain what you have, administer to your homes and wives, pay you taxes (when is tax freedom day in the US?) you got no frickin time to live!

I can call a spade a spade and make it as plain as day to you all, but very few of you accept it.

The people in the US don'y know how to live. That is they have lost perpective. Their priorities are screwed up. Motherhood, the most important thing in the world is merely a biological function in the US. Its taboo. What, you are a stay at home mom? jijiji, Why are you waisting your time? That is how the american "woman" sees it.

Remeber the Guess Who? American Woman? Some of us got it. Most didn't.

I try and be my brother's keeper  --- but he would rather be "Kept" by his wife. And I mean well-leashed. More like staked down in the back yard begging for leftovers that he provided. Absurd... Wake frickink up from the nightmare that you don't even know you are in!

I agree with virtually everything you said here.  The U.S. is a nanny state with a huge government, big taxes and lots of rules.  By the way, Newt ain't the only politician who has enriched himself while on the government dime.  Nancy Pelosi is currently in a $10K per night suite in Hawaii.  As for the masculine women here in the states I agree 100%.  That's why I found me a very feminine Colombiana.  I tell my friends to find them a Colombiana and offer to help but they're too lazy to put forth the effort and would rather sit on their collective asses and bitch. 

Offline V_Man

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 03:36:44 AM »
I tell my friends to find them a Colombiana and offer to help but they're too lazy to put forth the effort and would rather sit on their collective asses and bitch. 

Yeah I find they are geniunely interested but when it comes to putting in some effort I don't hold my breath. To be fair the women here are attractive, the costs are much greater and there are easier alternatives. Still I think it helps to let them know there are plenty of choices out there.

Offline maritime04

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 01:58:31 AM »
I do not buy the B.S., this and that yeah right..................................................................... .............

First rule of tankers provide for your own entertainment, IE if your bored in the USA you have nobody to blame but your self!!!!

Second rule, DO NOT GET WET, if you fall over the side its becuase you are dumass; If you marry a fat girl, its becuase you wanted to, if you let her walk all over you its becuase your a push-over!!!

OHHH OHHHH life is so much more new and diffrent in Colombia i wish i was there....... :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( , life is soo much more intresting when you do not know if you can afford to eat tommorrow, its SOOOOOOoooooo exciting when there could be a gang bang killing around the corner, i love the fact that i can actually SEE the air!!!!!!!!! and hear the people next door!!!!!!!! maybe ill just get drunk, forget about everything and worry about it tomorrow!!!!!!

Offline JWR

• Divorced after a 10 year marriage to a Colombiana
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 03:01:09 AM »
Very interesting post on CR.

I moved there with my Colombian wife.  Opened a new day sailing catamaran charter business for snorkeling tours, and sunset cruises.  Big new boat, bus to pick the people up at the hotels.  We were very successful, until we sold the business and left. 

CR is a [snip]ty little country to operate a business in with huge amounts of red tape and BS.  Just getting a drivers license to drive my own bus with the tourists was a huge pain the ass.  Every single day the boat left the dock for even a 4 hour trip, I needed a "zarpe" form signed by the port Capt. for permission to navigate.  Had to import the boat to be Costa Rican flagged and had to pay huge import taxes.  And then after paying huge import taxes registering the boat still was a major ordeal that took a lawyer and too much time.  It just went on and on and on.  Since my then Colombian wife's 1st language was Spanish, we got it all done, made all the right friends in all the right places, bribed the right people and we were doing well.

While we were there, one morning they evicted the marina owner and manager with M-16 rifles cutting his roll top desk in his office in half and throwing it out the door in the mud.  All of his possessions were in a pile in the mud outside his office.  He was such a jerk, we all pulled up chairs and watched the action like a Sunday movie.  But many police/army whatever you want to call them with big guns sort of changed your view of peaceful Costa Rica.

My friend built a house there, and when he left it for a few months, some locals tried to move in.  When he came back his family was threatened and he actually had a gunfight trying to protect his property.  They were just trying to intimidate him into leaving so they could live in his nice place.  Then when he tried to sell the house, everytime they would bring a potential buyer by to see the place, the some locals would scare them off.

It truly is the wild west and not for the faint hearted.

They also would set up road blocks and check licenses on cars and take your plates if all wasn't in order.  Then you couldn't drive.  Drive without the plates and they take your car also.  Major pain in the ass.

3 times immigration blocked off Tamarindo with giant cattle trucks and went around and arrested all the young people in night clubs that weren't carrying their passports.  They then threw them in the cattle truck and took them to jail for the night in Liberia.  All night and into the next day, parents were sending money to get the young girls out of jail.  Lots of tears, fear, and extortion inflicted on just young tourists that happened to leave their passport in their hotel room while they partied.  These were my clients they were screwing with.  After witnessing this treatment to the tourists, my wife and I looked at each other again and asked ourselves, "what the hell are we doing here".

One time my maid was bitten by a poisonous snake while walking to work.  She laid by the road for almost two hours dying while drivers just sped past and wouldn't stop to help. Very nice.....  Finally my landlord found her and administered anti venom that he always carried.  Costa Rica tops the poisonous snake bite capitol of the world.

Beurocracy and regulations in Costa Rica......plenty.  There is no escape.

We lived in a beautiful house over looking the ocean with a maid, and a pool.  We were living a life there that it would cost millions to live here. 

But living in Costa Rica is just not for everybody.  Maybe I would have liked another place in the country, but near Flamingo where we lived was just not the way I wanted to live.  One time we were walking through the "Fiesta" which are big local parties that all the towns have.  The drunk Ticos were chasing around a poor tired cow in a ring and beating it with a stick when it fell down because it was so tired.  It was dusty, dirty, and we just looked at each other and said again, "what the hell are we doing here?"  When we were at home, we were pretty happy, when we were at work, pretty happy, but all the rest of the time, just not satisfied.

Who knows maybe if I was a single guy and dating pretty ticas, it would have been more fun.  I lived in Colombia with my Colombian wife and it was pretty much the same feeling.  Maybe single it would have been fun, but married.....?? 

We used to say there are only 3 kinds of expats in Costa Rica.
The wanted,
The unwanted,
The on the way out.

Wanted by police in their own country....most everybody is on only a 1st named basis.
The unwanted by their own society and living in the dirt on a small social security check.  Dirt bags.
On the way out of the country after actually finding out what it's like to live there.  Usually after plunking down money on real estate that they now can't sell......

Of course it was a joke, but we pretty much saw everybody we met fall into these categories....

Hey looking back, I have fond memories of those times....my competition bribing the local police to come down and harrass my clients as they got off the boat after a sunset cruise......  Lots of [snip] on a daily basis...but many unbelievable wonderful moments also.  The country of extremes.

The stress, the struggles, the raw beauty of the place.  That is what life is all about.  Living life colorfully even if it's risky, and crazy.  As I was riding in a tricycle a couple weeks ago with my pretty Filipina date, I thought the same thing.   Live life colorfully.

"In South America, there is a sense of the unpredictable (which sometimes is not a positive, nevertheless, it is addictive).  There is a sexual energy in the air that is largely missing in the USA."

Exactly.

When you put opposites together things ignite. There is homoginization of roles and sexes in the US. Men are women and women are men. The sad thing is that they don't know it. They see it no other way because they have not been out of the country to see that in most of the world it still masculine and feminine roles.

Its all made to be predictable and establish control over the populace. Its made that way to create "Good Little Followers." Now you all follow that political correctnes!!" and heaven forbid you pull your womans hair or she scrathces you or bites you or you give her a good slap while you are mauling here during sex. If you do, you could see the sex police prosecuting you for uncontrolled sex! Leash that sex pilgrim! Where the hell you think you are. Colombia!

In Costa Rica the populace ignores the goverment. They just do not cooperate with it. Here come the good little american followers and follow the rules. Drives the locals crazy! The US is the land where civil disobedience was born. Now we are so nuetered that we allow our government and the people in it to "newt" enrich themselve, gorge off of the community coffers and we say nothing! Just follow follow follow...

The rich on TV like Shawn jack Ass Insanity perpetuate the satus quo so the pigs get fatter. But since the US is the land of the well trained Good Little Follower" its all so predictable that the staus quo and those in charge have no problem with maintaing thier fatness. Shooting ducks in a barrel. Just feed them more TV and we can make them in any image we want. Diluge them in marketing and make sure thatthey strive for the material to a point that they have no time to think, Just eat, work, sleep and repeat it. Creative thinking? Pondering what life is worth? Creating a self definition? They define you by indoctrination. There weapons, Kardasians, gays on TV, all the Hollywood values. Hell anythings goes as long as it does not physically injure anyone. Does not matter if it menatally or culturally cripples us! God? Forget about it. Dawn those panties men. Wear those pants women. Motherhood 0 fagetaboutit! Send those kids to datcare. Gotta make more money and mom has to find self fulfillment in the workplace so she can define herslf as a man does.

Barf on all of it, The US is perverted. I love my friends and family but its such a head f//k that I have really lost them.

They either envy or despise me in an undercover way. I am so far out living in Costa Rica, doing what i want when I want to, being as lazy as the Tico neighbor. Talking crap, chasing chicks, laughing with the guys, gossiping about the opposite sex. We live life here man. You guys just work. Do we have all the material crap you guys have (well I do kind off) but we really don't. I have a lot less than I could if i was in the US.

But why the hell would I trade my freedom, my free time to be lazy, my tico cohorts who are as happily worthless as I am, and all the fun BS that goes down here for what? a bigger TV? A newer car, designer clothes. Masculine women that think good men and worse yet an older man are worthless. By the time you guys maintain what you have, administer to your homes and wives, pay you taxes (when is tax freedom day in the US?) you got no frickin time to live!

I can call a spade a spade and make it as plain as day to you all, but very few of you accept it.

The people in the US don'y know how to live. That is they have lost perpective. Their priorities are screwed up. Motherhood, the most important thing in the world is merely a biological function in the US. Its taboo. What, you are a stay at home mom? jijiji, Why are you waisting your time? That is how the american "woman" sees it.

Remeber the Guess Who? American Woman? Some of us got it. Most didn't.

I try and be my brother's keeper  --- but he would rather be "Kept" by his wife. And I mean well-leashed. More like staked down in the back yard begging for leftovers that he provided. Absurd... Wake frickink up from the nightmare that you don't even know you are in!

Offline whitey

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 08:55:07 AM »
One of the most interesting posts I've read in a while JWR ... thanks ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline aconcepts

• Ka what?!?
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »
JWR - Flamingo? To me that does not even qualify as Costa Rica, Why not Jaco or Queops the other tourist trap destinations.

You set yourself up on that one.

One thing you said that is spot on Robert is Costa Rica is not for everyone.

Next, if you sleep with dogs you are going to get fleas.

Yes you lived where the tourist money is at. Guess what that big dog attracts a lot of fleas/ Police, attorneys, harbor masters, thieves, whores, the list goes on.

Three reason for Costa Rica - women weather and community. Yes community. But like women you got to pick the right one and you have to speak Spanish and understand the social mores. Your neighbors have to know that you get it here and are not another gringo convinced that your ways are superior and you are going to teach the maid how to clean house.

Mind numbing beauroacracy here and if you try to play by the rules it’s all set up against you. Ticos laugh hard ay gringos that come down and play by the rules or the ones that are easily intimidated. If you are a guy that wears the little crockadile on your shirt stay home. CR is not for you.

If you are a "kick ass take no [snip] you want to squat on my property good luck with my boot up your ass" type then you will do more than fine. Yes its the wild west and I like it that way. Keeps the mild mannered boring types out.

Look you Americans that are good little followers only bitch and belly ache that it’s not like the US. You can't adapt to the CR mind set because simply "no one follows the rules here." You make your play with what you got and see how it flies. That’s freedom

Americans only think they are free. They are slaves to the system and are forced to pat taxes by an illegal scheme and all the little fat pigs in DC get to be millionaires many times over off it. But you don’t see that crookedness so you don’t bitch and just follow along. Then you are in Tamarindo and you see the crookedness in front of your eyes and cry foul!

But most good little gringos cry and belly ache because they make no allies usually because they can't speak Spanish or they whole up in a luxury pad and turn their noses up at the locals, and only hang out with other gringos therefore distancing themselves from the community, or like you did, picked a spot where greed and competition is fierce for the tourism buck and wonder why all the locals just didn't let you come in and have your way with them.

Right…

Face it, it was too tough a nut for you to crack.

Don't feel bad it’s too tough a nut for most to crack let alone the indoctrinated good little followers who have really no idea what it’s like to be free.

Americans here cannot see themselves for what they are: financial slaves and tax hostages sucking the teat of political correctness.

You are indoctrinated to put the toilet seat down. Then you come to country where many times there are no toilet seats and it completely crosses your wires!! Hahahaha..

Stay home if you cannot adapt.

Like I said to Jeff the rookie seeking advice, if you are not willing to reinvent yourself or redefine yourself don't move to Latin America.

You will sit around with other gringos and bitch about why things are different than back home. You will pay higher gringo prices for everything because you cannot wrap your head around the art of price haggling.

Some jack ass book salesman sold you the idea that Costa Rica is for everyone, you bought it, invested - without investigating - and then boo hooed all the way home after being reamed without the Vaseline.

See your story all the time.

But guess what? I am one of them now. I get it. You took on a campaign that was over your head and was obviously unprepared for.

Whose fault is that? So I don’t feel sorry for you. It eat or be eaten here and you were lunch. Oh well. Live and learn.

I am not trying to pick on you but, to all those others reading this who entertain romantic fantasies about Latin America, well let his post be a warning to you.

I see the gringo fresh off the plane drooling at the chicks, throwing money around, living in guard gated gringo-fied communities with their pools and ocean views and after 6 months they are miserable.

No this
No that
its different
why, why , why?

Or wha, wha, wha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Honestly now I just laugh. I can spot one of these types a mile away.

They come here and start to spout off about their money and big plans like Costa Rica is just one big kitty they are going to pop, and then they get popped and grab thier pooper and scurry to the border.

Got no sympathy for them. None. I actually think it funny and so do the Ticos. They laugh at your naiveté. So do I.

If Gringos think they are going to beat the Ticos at their game and not even speak Spanish! Ha they deserve what they get.

Yes it’s Tico games you will be playing so don't think you can come here with your slick little plans and not play by the house rules.

That is the gist of it right there, Gringos won't suffer the learning curve or are too cheap to hire a consultant and they never learn the house rules. They bring their rules with them. Guess what - those rules don't apply. As in Not Applicable.

"but we who knew that different truths can coexist thought not that we were lowering ourselves by countenancing another's truth, unpalatable though it might seem."

Offline whitey

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »
aconcepts, I don't get the impression that JWR is one of the typical conjunto privado gringos you seem to find a lot of in CR and Panama.  Seems to me you'd have to have some balls to do what he and his wife did ... you guys would probably be best buddies over a couple beers.

BTW ... CR is latin america lite ... if you want to really be a man, you need to get down to Colombia ... ;)
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline maritime04

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 10:18:36 PM »
Dude you need to be limited to 100 or 150 words MAX, i understand your drool, but could you atleast try and not repeat your self SOOOOOO many times!!!

Offline JWR

• Divorced after a 10 year marriage to a Colombiana
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »

What a concept.

You don't know [snip] about me.  Don't assume things about people you know nothing about.  My business was successful, I sold it, and it's still in business making money today.  So what you say, it didn't work or something???   It's been running for over 11 years.  Why do you say we played by all the rules....?  If we played by all the rules, we would have never gotten off the ground.  My Colombian wife knew all the crap that we needed to do.  We bribed all the right people including the Port Capt..  We got down in the mud and fought for everything we achieved.  And my wife did it viciously and with style.

Hey and look dumb[snip].  If you don't play by some of the rules, they come and chain your $200,000  boat to the dock, and impound it.  I saw them do it to the guys that didn't pay the import taxes, flag costa rican, and register properly.    Same guys with the M-16s that evicted the marina owner.  What you gonna do about that white guy???  There's no negotiations there.  You pay or they take your boat...... 

How much have you ever invested in a business in Costa Rica.....?  I was in that same business for 20 years before I arrived in Costa Rica.  New custom big sailing cat competing with all the crappy old boats in Guanacaste.  We were killing it.Why did I pick Tamarindo, Flamingo.....that's where the good sailing is Einstein.  It's a sailing business.....there's no freakin wind in Jaco dumb ass....  Manuel Antonio is pretty, but no WIND.....Ever heard of a "Papagayo" wind.  Some tourists go to Guanacaste just for the sailing.  You say I didn't investigate..... ??? ??   This is my life's business and I had a Latina wife to manage the business.  Spanish was not a problem for either one of us.....

We were making excellent money but we left because we didn't like the life there, and alot of the people.  We especially didn't like the ex pat community full of  guys like you.  Bunch of low lifes.  We liked the locals, but most of the ex pats were complete morons.

We went in and actually did something for the economy, and tourist market.  We employed people.  What the hell do you do with yourself all day?  What do you contribute to the economy and country?  I don't care if you sit on your azz all day long on your porch petting your gusana ridden mutt, but keep your big mouth shut about guys that you know nothing about, that take the risks, and make things happen.

Gringos won't suffer the learning curve or are too cheap to hire a consultant and they never learn the house rules.
Hire a consultant?????......I'm not even sure your for real anymore after that stupid comment.  Who can you trust to hire as a consultant in that crook infested [snip] hole???  1st thing you learn in Costa Rica is don't trust anyone. 

Face it, it was too tough a nut for you to crack  Some jack ass book salesman sold you the idea that Costa Rica is for everyone, you bought it, invested - without investigating - and then boo hooed all the way home after being reamed without the Vaseline.

http://lazylizardsailing.com/

Well it seems maybe the nut got cracked.  And see all the girls in bikinis on that site.....I got to sail around with loads and loads of hot European girls in bathing suits every day.  Yea this was a real stupid idea alright.

Do the math....20 passenger catamaran, and we were charging $ 65.00 per person.  During high season, we did 3 trips a day running at about 1/2 capacity..   10 X 3 X $ 65 per day.  Low season we did half of that when it wasn't raining.

Pura Mierda

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:01:06 PM by JWR »

Offline z_k_g

• Gimingaw ko sa akong uyab!
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »
The stress, the struggles, the raw beauty of the place.  That is what life is all about.  Living life colorfully even if it's risky, and crazy.  As I was riding in a tricycle a couple weeks ago with my pretty Filipina date, I thought the same thing.   Live life colorfully.

JWR,

Great post.

Its funny because I was riding a trike with my pinay sweetie earlier this year thinking the exact same thing!  :D

Also, based on your post, you will fit quite well in the Phils. 

Oh yeah, when you get back the horse, next time try Davao City or Cebu for a pinay!

Zulu
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other -"sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful-just stupid.) RAH

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »

Offline z_k_g

• Gimingaw ko sa akong uyab!
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 11:08:20 PM »
JWR - Flamingo? To me that does not even qualify as Costa Rica, Why not Jaco or Queops the other tourist trap destinations.

They come here and start to spout off about their money and big plans like Costa Rica is just one big kitty they are going to pop, and then they get popped and grab thier pooper and scurry to the border.

Got no sympathy for them. None. I actually think it funny and so do the Ticos. They laugh at your naiveté. So do I.

aconcepts,

I don't think that JWR is a rookie or the type of expat that you describe......so......I can see why he takes extreme exception to your rant.

Otherwise....interesting post.

Zulu
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other -"sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful-just stupid.) RAH

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »
Don't take it personally JWR. Every few months we have another self-proclaimed expert who is gonna learn us wannabees what's up. I've seen dozens and dozens come and go over the past 10 years. Note that their advice is never how they handled a similar situation and had good or bad results, only how they would have handled yours. They usually fade away when they realize that the adoration they came seeking doesn't appear from those of us in the peanut gallery.

Like you, I also avoid expats when I travel. I learn much more and enjoy it more when dealing with locals.

Offline OrlandoGringo

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »
Dude is so wrapped up living his dream life in paradise that he feels compelled to write dissertations here and tell us all how stupid we are.  If it's that good where he's at why is he wasting his time casting his pearls to swine like us?  The answer is this:  he's not here to share and help others, he's here to hear himself talk.  How much do you want to wager that he loves playing the part of the bigshot gringo there in CR?  Dude needs to check his ego at the door and stop acting like a know-it-all prick.     

Offline Alabamaboy!

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
JWR, I would not sweat this guy. He seems to get his thrills by stirring the pot. He wants everyone to believe how happy and wonderful his life is there. But I don't think many are buying it.

I have heard a lot more stories similar to yours than I have like his. I don't hear too many people saying that CR is the place to be. I hear quite the opposite. That it is not worth it. Lots of scammers, low lifes, women imported from other countries working as prostitutes, has beens, or senior citizens looking for a cheap gardener and house maid. Red faced, booze guzzling, lazy older guys. Or younger broke-ass surfer dudes.

What a concept.

You don't know [snip] about me.  Don't assume things about people you know nothing about.  My business was successful, I sold it, and it's still in business making money today.  So what you say, it didn't work or something???   It's been running for over 11 years.  Why do you say we played by all the rules....?  If we played by all the rules, we would have never gotten off the ground.  My Colombian wife knew all the crap that we needed to do.  We bribed all the right people including the Port Capt..  We got down in the mud and fought for everything we achieved.  And my wife did it viciously and with style.

Hey and look dumb[snip].  If you don't play by some of the rules, they come and chain your $200,000  boat to the dock, and impound it.  I saw them do it to the guys that didn't pay the import taxes, flag costa rican, and register properly.    Same guys with the M-16s that evicted the marina owner.  What you gonna do about that white guy???  There's no negotiations there.  You pay or they take your boat...... 

How much have you ever invested in a business in Costa Rica.....?  I was in that same business for 20 years before I arrived in Costa Rica.  New custom big sailing cat competing with all the crappy old boats in Guanacaste.  We were killing it.Why did I pick Tamarindo, Flamingo.....that's where the good sailing is Einstein.  It's a sailing business.....there's no freakin wind in Jaco dumb ass....  Manuel Antonio is pretty, but no WIND.....Ever heard of a "Papagayo" wind.  Some tourists go to Guanacaste just for the sailing.  You say I didn't investigate..... ??? ??   This is my life's business and I had a Latina wife to manage the business.  Spanish was not a problem for either one of us.....

We were making excellent money but we left because we didn't like the life there, and alot of the people.  We especially didn't like the ex pat community full of  guys like you.  Bunch of low lifes.  We liked the locals, but most of the ex pats were complete morons.

We went in and actually did something for the economy, and tourist market.  We employed people.  What the hell do you do with yourself all day?  What do you contribute to the economy and country?  I don't care if you sit on your azz all day long on your porch petting your gusana ridden mutt, but keep your big mouth shut about guys that you know nothing about, that take the risks, and make things happen.

Gringos won't suffer the learning curve or are too cheap to hire a consultant and they never learn the house rules.
Hire a consultant? ??? ?......I'm not even sure your for real anymore after that stupid comment.  Who can you trust to hire as a consultant in that crook infested [snip] hole???  1st thing you learn in Costa Rica is don't trust anyone. 

Face it, it was too tough a nut for you to crack  Some jack ass book salesman sold you the idea that Costa Rica is for everyone, you bought it, invested - without investigating - and then boo hooed all the way home after being reamed without the Vaseline.

http://lazylizardsailing.com/

Well it seems maybe the nut got cracked.  And see all the girls in bikinis on that site.....I got to sail around with loads and loads of hot European girls in bathing suits every day.  Yea this was a real stupid idea alright.

Do the math....20 passenger catamaran, and we were charging $ 65.00 per person.  During high season, we did 3 trips a day running at about 1/2 capacity..   10 X 3 X $ 65 per day.  Low season we did half of that when it wasn't raining.

Pura Mierda

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »
Dude is so wrapped up living his dream life in paradise that he feels compelled to write dissertations here and tell us all how stupid we are.  If it's that good where he's at why is he wasting his time casting his pearls to swine like us?  The answer is this:  he's not here to share and help others, he's here to hear himself talk.  How much do you want to wager that he loves playing the part of the bigshot gringo there in CR?  Dude needs to check his ego at the door and stop acting like a know-it-all prick.   

+1

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline aconcepts

• Ka what?!?
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
JWR - After I reread the post, I see why you took offense to it.

It was a poorly written and I would have been offended also.

My apologies.

After the first several lines (when I was addressing you personally), I continued to use the word “you;” however, the vast majority of the time in the last 75% of the post, when I used the word “you” I was referring to Gringos coming here to change things rather than to adapt and blend in – (a pet peeve of mine) and not you personally.

It was unedited hurried inexact writing. My bad.
"but we who knew that different truths can coexist thought not that we were lowering ourselves by countenancing another's truth, unpalatable though it might seem."

Offline Zon

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
First rule of tankers provide for your own entertainment, IE if your bored in the USA you have nobody to blame but your self!!!! Second rule, DO NOT GET WET, if you fall over the side its because you are dumass; If you marry a fat girl, its becuase you wanted to, if you let her walk all over you its becuase your a push-over!!!

You have a point.   There is much to appreciate in the USA; and unfailingly, I appreciate it more when out of the country for a couple months.   Of course life is no prison sentence in the USA.   But, there are clear and steady negative points when a single guy, 45 years of age, comes home for the holidays.   (And, that might become apparent to you too in 10 or 15 years).  You do not seem to enjoy Colombia, so why do you live there?  I know many AM that live in Colombia / Costa Rica / Panama / Argentina for "wholesome" reasons - more or less.  There are many Colombianos that travel to / retire in Colombia ... I have heard it said more than once that "America is for working.  Colombia is for living."

And to add yet a little more balance and sobriety ...   I have met three women while in the USA that would give most men little reason to complain: witty, smart, beautiful, young enough to be good mothers (if you are into that).  You can find good women in the USA.

But on the whole, I stand by my original post.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:40:30 AM by Zon »

Offline maritime04

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »

But, there are clear and steady negative points when a single guy, 45 years of age, comes home for the holidays. (And, that might become apparent to you too in 10 or 15 years).
That’s your life, that’s what you choose for yourself and its how the cards were drawn out, NOW you dislike the outcome and want to blame society and American culture because you’re lonely? What exactly do you not understand about the first rule, “provide for YOUR OWN ENTERTAINMENT?” I am making decisions about my life that I hope one day will have a positive impact 10-15 years down the road, I know I am taking a risk, and i know that only “me myself and I” can truly make me happy, but I see these steps as positives and heading in the right direction.

You do not seem to enjoy Colombia, so why do you live there?
I do not anymore!! ;D
Zon you do not seem to pay much attention because I answered those questions in a previous posting, and you call me the KID……………………………………….I have many issues with Colombia, I dislike allot of things, but I enjoyed it. Personally I have outgrown it, and it is not the type of place I want to live in Anymore. No one place will suit you for the rest of your life, we all out grown even the best of clothes.

I know many AM that live in Colombia / Costa Rica / Panama / Argentina for "wholesome" reasons - more or less.
Zon I am not preaching I am merely stating FACT, be honest with you self, you can not be CLEAN with a little bit of DIRTY, you are either one or the other admit it and MOVE ON………………………How you want to live your life is your own choice….

I have heard it said more than once that "America is for working.  Colombia is for living."
I also heard the earth is flat, I don’t believe that either, I hear allot of stupid stuff and pay little attention to it, are you seriously wanting to have a conversation or argument about whether you can live life in Colombia versus the USA?????

And to add yet a little more balance and sobriety ...   I have met three women while in the USA that would give most men little reason to complain: witty, smart, beautiful, young enough to be good mothers (if you are into that).  You can find good women in the USA.
Good for you

But on the whole, I stand by my original post.

And good for you too, please note I do enjoy calling you out on B.S., when I am supposed to be working…….

Offline Zon

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »
And good for you too, please note I do enjoy calling you out on B.S., when I am supposed to be working…….

Frankly, I was wrong to be rather dismissive and presumptuous in past years ... about this place in particular.  Turns out that although there are not a huge amount of members, those that do post here do, in fact, have rich and deep experiences travelling, living, and marrying (and getting divorced.)   

My BS?  Regardless, of what my mindset was when I may have offered a post, or comment over the years, those thoughts, observations, or opinions were true for me at the time I wrote them.   I am not in the business of arguing points, counter points.  I am not in the business of trying to change other people's minds.  I have my prejudices and pet peeves - we all do. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:39:34 PM by Zon »

Offline innerperson

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
That’s your life, that’s what you choose for yourself and its how the cards were drawn out, NOW you dislike the outcome and want to blame society and American culture because you’re lonely? What exactly do you not understand about the first rule, “provide for YOUR OWN ENTERTAINMENT?”

I have to agree with Maritime.  You either make your happiness or not.  It is all our own internal belief structures that either make us hate something or love it.

I think the ease of getting young women may have tainted your outlook on America, Zon.  You may like the attention a gringo may get while in America you are just another white middle aged guy.  You don't have to be another white middle aged guy but it takes a lot more to standout besides being a gringo.

America is one of the best places to live.  We have cultures from all over the world.  It is far cheaper to live here if you look at what you get compared to other places.  Far cheaper and I lived in many different places.  You don't get the same lifestyle in other "cheaper" places and it costs you more to live the same western lifestyle.

Feminism, controlling government taking away more of our constitutional rights, tax laws that seek out to destroy what made this country great to begin with and many other things burns my britches but even with all of that you still can't get more bang for your buck comparing lifestyles.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »

Offline Zon

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »

I have to agree with Maritime.  You either make your happiness or not.  It is all our own internal belief structures that either make us hate something or love it.[/size] [/size]

The same could be said of jail hahaha ... the mind is its own place, and in itself can make a hell of heaven, a heaven of hell.  What matter where if I be still the same?

Feminism, controlling government taking away more of our constitutional rights, tax laws that seek out to destroy what made this country great to begin with and many other things burns my britches but even with all of that you still can't get more bang for your buck comparing lifestyles.

[/size]yes, and no.   Plus there is a "transition time"  After a couple months, you adapt.  And, let's not forget that New York, Miami, Houston are a lot different than Pensacola, Lincoln, Syracuse. In my case, my basic comparison is the Tampa Bay area.  Sure it is possible to find good  friends a good women.  But, it is damn boring by comparison - in my opinion.  You can go to a "concert" but the place clears out by 11:00 PM.  You can go to a club to listen to a band, but the place is disproportionately filled with older, people eating waaaay too much, 7 guys for every woman (and to be honest, I rarely see woman that are worth a flip physically in this area compared to Colombia)   Then, you have to worry about getting home without getting a DUI if you drank over 4 beers.  Or, if you leave your car in the lot, it is towed in the morning when you return.  And, after you pick it up and pay 140, you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt.  True story.  I am not saying that all this is unique to the USA.  I am just saying things have gotten way to organized!

Offline innerperson

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »

The same could be said of jail hahaha ... the mind is its own place, and in itself can make a hell of heaven, a heaven of hell.  What matter where if I be still the same?

If you want to go to extremes then you might want to compare jail in Colombia versus jail in America.  Where would you like to be?

yes, and no.   Plus there is a "transition time"  After a couple months, you adapt.  And, let's not forget that New York, Miami, Houston are a lot different than Pensacola, Lincoln, Syracuse. In my case, my basic comparison is the Tampa Bay area. 

Move, problem solved.

You will have bigger problems if the trivial stuff you posted keeps you "unhappy".
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:13:02 PM by innerperson »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5878
Latest: Wileycauch
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864