It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: I'm totally amazed  (Read 63090 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: I'm totally amazed
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 06:06:09 AM »
Ray's list is very complete-it's really the 'super asawa to be' provider list and I think if we were stuck in the house for weeks, it'd cover just about everything!

I think the bottled water mention is a good idea too. My wife still prefers bottled water --Aquafina preferably. Sprite is often a favored soda pop. Water from the tap tastes 'chemical' and strange to her.

We do fine with soy milk and besides bananas, oranges and apples, grapes, etc are usually eaten up and in absence  of food readily being available there and not in the same way here all of the time, nor all the ingredients, quick snack food will be good.

Wow, time is literally flying here! Let us know what we can do!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Bill_McC

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 07:05:38 AM »
Thanks Robert. I appreciate the offer of assistance. Right this minute I think all we can do is wait for her to get here. I'll call you if/when something comes up. I will need the names and addresses of the markets that you talked about, but that can wait for a day or two.

I slept good last night but I did something that I almost never do, I ripped the bed apart. I must have tossed and turned and rolled and moved all night. The sheets were pulled out at the foot of the bed, the comforter was all balled up and wrapped around, and two pillows were on the floor. I don't remember being restless but I must have been in a battle to do that to the bed. I usually sleep in one spot and maybe roll over once in the night. Making the bed in the AM usually takes about a minute, today it was just like the weekly changing of the sheets.

Bill
"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

Offline Jedironin

• Cautious... but hopeful.
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 07:12:57 AM »
For the water, I've been using a Pur filter-pitcher for years (yes, I change filters regularly!), would that be okay?

I can't stand squid or anchovies, but haven't tried sardines in anything yet myself, but I'll certainly save the rest of that list for "future reference"!  :D
For "Cooking Oil", what kind are you referring to? Veggie Oil, Olive Oil...? I've been using extra-virgin olive oil lately.

I don't have anyone really solid yet, but I am starting on the attitude and house adjustments already. I'm thinking about redesigning the closet, to take out the one long bar and high shelf, and using the closet-organizer systems to put in more low-bar and lower-shelf areas.  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:14:41 AM by Jedironin »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 07:12:57 AM »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 07:47:10 AM »
Thanks Ray - That is a great list.
Looking at it, this is where I stand.

Required Items:
  *Rice, 20lb min, Calrose or Thai Jasmine  I have 2 20lbs of different Thai Jasmine Brand
  *Electric Rice Cooker - have
  Cooking oil, 1 gallon - Have canola, olive, peanut, lemon, soybean & palm oils
  *Soy sauce, 1gallon not yet
  *Vinegar - have
  *Banana sauce   Don't have - I use the one I had but I will replace
  *Dried fish Don't have - can get any time
  *Dried squid Don't have - can get any time
  Pork chops I will buy the week she gets here
  Ground beef I will buy the week she gets here
  *Spam have 5 different flavors
  Vienna Sausage I have a case
  *Coned beef, canned Don't have yet
  Sardines, canned, X-large  Don't have - I use the ones I had
  *Garlic I buy every week
  *Onions I buy every week
  *Celery I will buy the week she gets here
  *Carrots I will buy the week she gets here
  *Cabbage I will buy the week she gets here
  *Potatoes I will buy the week she gets here
  *Ginger have
  *Tomatoes I buy every week
  *Eggs I buy every week
  Bananas I buy every week
  Lumpia wrappers, frozen Don't have yet
  Pancit noodles (Canton, Bihon) Don't have yet
  Sinigang mix have, along with a few other seasoning mix I got at the Philippines Festival
  Coke Don't have
  *Sprite  have sprite, Ginger Ale, Pepsi, 7-up
  *Lactose-free milk Don't have yet
  **Tabo (or 1-qt plastic pitcher) don't have
  Step stool have
  Nipa broom w/ 18” handle don't have yet
  *Flip-flops, size 6, 2-3 pair I will buy this week
  Warm jacket, small Have a few
  Warm fuzzy slippers I will buy this week
  Electric blanket have
  Woolite detergent have
  Clothes pins don't have
  Vick’s Vapor Rub have
  Electric fry pan for outdoor cooking have Forman grill
  Prepaid phone cards have & extra preloaded sim cards

Optional Items: 
  Beer neither of us drink beer
  Rum I was given 2 bottle of Coconut wine - do that count? ;D
  Tabasco sauce I have
  Bagoong Don't have yet
  Patis Don't have yet
  Ground pork Don't have yet
  Hot dogs  I will buy the week she gets here
  Fish, whole, with heads (Tilapia or Bangus) I will buy the week she gets here
  Nescafe instant coffee - neither of us drink coffee
  Pineapple juice I buy every week
  Green mangos  that will be a must for her, I can get at anytime
  Fresh Papayas don't have - didn't think of it
  Squid, whole, frozen - don't have
  Mung beans  Don't have yet
  Sunflower seeds don't have - didn't think of it
  Spinach, fresh (or ampalaya leaves) Don't have yet - was on my list
  Eggplant, Japanese long don't have - didn't think of it
  Yellow squash  don't have
  Rice dispenser  don't have
  Karaoke machine with Filipino love songs  I have the Wii, XBox 360 & PS3 - they all have Karaoke games
  Large framed picture of Last Supper  don't have
  Arnold Schwarzenegger movies I have every single one of his movies & 1000's more ::)
  Bucket, 5 gal don't have

If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »
No - evoo is for sauteeing while vegetable oil (peanut or canola) is for frying - there's a big difference.

I get people not liking anchovies, but squid? What's not to love about squid. In any event, don't worry, you'll get used to it.

Calrose is Japanese short grain variety while jasmine is well, jasmine variety. We use both varieties, but for different things - jasmine for Chinese and Thai style dishes, short grain for Japanese and Korean. Not sure what goes with Philippine dishes - maybe either.

Hey Ray - is a black velvet painting of Jesus and Elvis playing poker with some dogs an acceptable substitute for the last supper painting?

Offline william3rd

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 08:03:31 AM »
I am going to take her to a major Asian market located in San Gabriel and let her get what she wants. I already have most of the seasonings. However, since she doesnt like cooking, I may just go to the market myself.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:54:22 AM by william3rd »
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 08:07:07 AM »
I get people not liking anchovies, but squid? What's not to love about squid. In any event, don't worry, you'll get used to it.
I do like anchovies & I have not eaten squid in ages but I do know that Ahya do eat & like it.

Calrose is Japanese short grain variety while jasmine is well, jasmine variety. We use both varieties, but for different things - jasmine for Chinese and Thai style dishes, short grain for Japanese and Korean. Not sure what goes with Philippine dishes - maybe either.
I do see Calrose in the Asian super markets that I frequent but I do not recall ever trying it - unless I had it at one of the Japanese restaurant & didn't know.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »
Bill,

Sometimes, Filipinas use a lot of oil, even if they do drain it off and reuse it later sometimes. At that, olive oil can get pricey and we usually use canola oil (healthy)and olive oils for the bottom of a frying pan and to add a bit of taste. We have a couple of the Pur units--one on the faucet and one pitcher unit (we'll probably send that to the Phils.) but we just have gotten used to the convenience of a bottle of Aquafina w/ a cap by the bed side, in a cooler out in the car, etc. It's $3.99 for 32 bottles at Sams here.

For some foods, like dried fish, an outside electric or portable propane grill, is the way to go. At the local flea market, I get the grills, which last a long time in the rain, even and hair spray can sized refills for my wife and her friends for pretty cheap. Be happy to get you guys one--if you like to camp, they're great for that too--pretty compact, yet can take a good sized skillet.

Cooking some of that stuff will really stink up your house, especially if you have curtains, which if you don't, you probably will soon--Filipinas tend to like curtains!
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ray

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »

No - evoo is for sauteeing while vegetable oil (peanut or canola) is for frying - there's a big difference.

Hey Ray - is a black velvet painting of Jesus and Elvis playing poker with some dogs an acceptable substitute for the last supper painting?

Yep, we only use evoo for low heat cooking. For frying, Canola oil is great and healthier than most other vegetable oils.

I think most Filipinos use Calrose type rice which is grown locally in California and readily available here. The Thai Jasmine rice (stink rice) is also popular with Filipinos. I like the Texas Long Grain variety because it’s a little more “chewier” and makes the best fried rice IMO, but it isn’t sticky enough for chopsticks. Brown rice is probably the healthiest variety but very expensive now and not very popular with Filipinos here. NEVER buy that “converted” or “parboiled” junk…it’s strictly for non-Asians.

The Elvis painting should work fine, but I have been searching all over San Ysidro for that one and can’t find the exact version yet…but I’ll keep looking.   LOL!

Squid is bait and I generally don’t eat bait, unless I’m really starving to death and adrift at sea.   :D

Ray

Offline Ray

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »

Darn! That kfc sounds like he is really prepared. Well done kfc!

The tabo (or kabo) is the most importand thing on the list. If you can't find one, then have her bring her favorite with her because she will miss it!

Offline Bill_McC

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
Bill,

Sometimes, Filipinas use a lot of oil, even if they do drain it off and reuse it later sometimes. At that, olive oil can get pricey and we usually use canola oil (healthy)and olive oils for the bottom of a frying pan and to add a bit of taste. We have a couple of the Pur units--one on the faucet and one pitcher unit (we'll probably send that to the Phils.) but we just have gotten used to the convenience of a bottle of Aquafina w/ a cap by the bed side, in a cooler out in the car, etc. It's $3.99 for 32 bottles at Sams here.

For some foods, like dried fish, an outside electric or portable propane grill, is the way to go. At the local flea market, I get the grills, which last a long time in the rain, even and hair spray can sized refills for my wife and her friends for pretty cheap. Be happy to get you guys one--if you like to camp, they're great for that too--pretty compact, yet can take a good sized skillet.

Cooking some of that stuff will really stink up your house, especially if you have curtains, which if you don't, you probably will soon--Filipinas tend to like curtains!

I have EVOO, canola and regular old vegetable Crisco. I love to camp and have a portable electric, charcoal, and gas grill plus the smaller outside grill that I use here. So I guess I have 4 of them already. I found the Jasmine rice at Walmart no problem. I thought about shopping for the entire list but I think I'll wait and explore with Cris when she gets here and let her choose brand and quantity. It'll be fun to shop with her. I think she's gonna freak when she sees what food costs here but that's OK, I'll hold her hand. :D

Bill
"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

Offline Bill_McC

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »

The tabo (or kabo) is the most importand thing on the list. If you can't find one, then have her bring her favorite with her because she will miss it!

Okaaaayyyyyyy... Exactly what is it used for? I can think of several uses based on where its sitting in this pic, the most mundain of which is to rinse shampoo from long beautiful hair.

Bill

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 10:47:34 AM »
Wednesday, day after tomorrow, I wonder what she booked. I asked her to text me the details as soon as she knew them, but she always uses the excuse of "you were asleep and I didn't want the phone to wake you". I guess I'll find out soon enough. She won't be flying west coast, she'll be coming into Atlanta. What does that add? Another +/- 4 hours to the flight time? Never mind, I'll just wait and talk to her and get the info from her itinery.
By great circle navigation, it would probably only add an hour or so.  But that's only if it's a direct flight.  She may have to change planes at one of the west coast airports (LAX, SF, SeaTac?) which would then add a layover plus coast-to-coast flight time.  Then you might be looking at late Wed or early early Thurs.  So definitely find out her schedule.  She might not even be aware she has to change planes unless she's done it before, which she hasn't.  When she give you the flight number and time, double check with any on-line travel site for flight times and see if they list how many stop-overs.  Would suck if she arrived in CA or WA, deplanes and think she's in Altanta already and heads out to look for you.

The Elvis painting should work fine, but I have been searching all over San Ysidro for that one and can’t find the exact version yet…but I’ll keep looking.   LOL!
Have you tried the Escondido or Oceanside swap meet?  If they don't have it, they must be all bought up.  Because they HAVE to have it tucked in the back of one of the permanent stalls.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 10:47:34 AM »

Offline Ray

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »

Okaaaayyyyyyy... Exactly what is it used for? I can think of several uses based on where its sitting in this pic, the most mundain of which is to rinse shampoo from long beautiful hair.

Bill

No, not quite...

Bill, I can't tell you what a tabo is used for because it is supposed to be a secret among Filipinas.

So I'll let you ask your girl what it's for...maybe she wil clue you in...  :D

Ray

Offline ignorante

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
You can say that again Pig. Shes smart, driven, and a looker. . . .  See the new avatar up there.
  Bill, definitely a looker!   ;)

Offline Jedironin

• Cautious... but hopeful.
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2011, 11:09:11 AM »
No, not quite...

Bill, I can't tell you what a tabo is used for because it is supposed to be a secret among Filipinas.

So I'll let you ask your girl what it's for...maybe she wil clue you in...  :D

Ray

Ummm... something similar in function to a bidet, perhaps?   ???

Bill- just do like Ray did here... buy the thing, write "Tabo" on the side and leave it there! Close the door.  ;)

:D
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »

I just called a few store to see if they had any - one store sold out & the others didn't have any.
I just found a Fil-Am store close to my job - I will go check it out later this week.

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
Wednesday, day after tomorrow, I wonder what she booked. I asked her to text me the details as soon as she knew them, but she always uses the excuse of "you were asleep and I didn't want the phone to wake you". I guess I'll find out soon enough. She won't be flying west coast, she'll be coming into Atlanta. What does that add? Another +/- 4 hours to the flight time? Never mind, I'll just wait and talk to her and get the info from her itinery.

By great circle navigation, it would probably only add an hour or so.  But that's only if it's a direct flight.  She may have to change planes at one of the west coast airports (LAX, SF, SeaTac?) which would then add a layover plus coast-to-coast flight time.  Then you might be looking at late Wed or early early Thurs.  So definitely find out her schedule.  She might not even be aware she has to change planes unless she's done it before, which she hasn't.  When she give you the flight number and time, double check with any on-line travel site for flight times and see if they list how many stop-overs.  Would suck if she arrived in CA or WA, deplanes and think she's in Altanta already and heads out to look for you.

She will definitely need to change planes somewhere before reaching Atlanta. Until Delta resumes their direct flights to Shanghai in June, the only Asian cities currently with direct flights into Atlanta are Seoul & Tokyo - maybe she can get a flight that transits through one of those cities so that ATL will be her POE.

Offline Ray

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
I just called a few store to see if they had any - one store sold out & the others didn't have any.
I just found a Fil-Am store close to my job - I will go check it out later this week.

kfc,

Don't be surprised if the salesgirl starts giggling when you ask.

If they don't know what a tabo is, ask for a kabo (it's a Bisayan/Tagalog thing)

Ray

Offline Ray

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »

Bill- just do like Ray did here... buy the thing, write "Tabo" on the side and leave it there! Close the door.  ;)

It's funny you should say that.

After almost 11 years of marriage, the ONLY time my wife closes the bathroom door is when she takes her tabo in there. Don't ask...don't tell!

:D

Ray

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
Squid is great if it's cooked right, but gets really chewy/hard when cooked wrong. Usually it seems to be cooked wrong...but there's a chain here that has calamari with an aoli on their happy hour menu that's really good.

She grabbed some dried squid and it smelled absolutely foul. I had to back away from that bag and wa sjust about gagging. Don't see myself eating it in the future.

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »

ok what in the hell is the dipper used for guys?
washing bottom ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:44:58 PM by piglett »
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline FlyingMoose

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
For the water, I've been using a Pur filter-pitcher for years (yes, I change filters regularly!), would that be okay?

I've tried both Brita and Pur, and I've found that the Brita water tastes much better (especially in the places I've lived with really bad-tasting, highly-chlorinated water).  I have the brita unit with a spout on the side which makes it good for refilling plastic water bottles.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
I've tried both Brita and Pur, and I've found that the Brita water tastes much better (especially in the places I've lived with really bad-tasting, highly-chlorinated water).  I have the brita unit with a spout on the side which makes it good for refilling plastic water bottles.
well if you stop drinking out of the TABO the water mite taste better :D ;D :D

pig
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline Dave H

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »
I hate to throw any cold water on ya Bill but i just had a thought.................
have you ever met this lady?
this could be a scam
"Oh i got a visa send me plane ticket money"
"no don't buy the ticket for me i can get a better price here"
it HAS & DOES happen so keep your eyes open Bill

Hey pig,

I have heard of a few of those situations. Girl gets money for plane tickets, man waits at airport for lady to arrive...she never shows up! I know several ladies here who have done that. One took the money from one guy and bought a ticket to be with their real fiance.  ::) She already had a fiance visa. I wonder if her fiance knew where she got the money for her plane tickets?

Dave
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:36:48 AM by Dave H »
The developmentally disabled madman!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5878
Latest: Wileycauch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats